Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

canting?

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
GordonFreeman, Profeet have a good reputation so they should be able to make a correct footbed for your missus. I've had a couple of semi-weighted footbeds made in the past. The first was at EB's & the second pair a year later was made by the late Hamish Wolfenden who owned Profeet. Both were made on identical equipment but the difference was obvious & I recall Hamish being very particular in the position/alignment of my feet/knees etc during the moulding whereas at EB's none of that was done. Basically, as far as see it, the effectiveness of a semi/fully weighted footbed is all down to the skill/knowledge of the maker.

I've since had a couple of pairs of unweighted vacuum moulded footbeds made by Colin & they are almost identical to Hamish's except that they show a little more defination. I now wear Hamish's footbeds in my walking boots all day every day on the hard floor in my workshop & they're superb. When being vacuum moulded a few months ago on Colins 'throne' there was a guy sitting next to me who was having semi-weighted footbeds made. Colin did explain at the time why he was using a different method but I can't recall why.

Like most things you get what you pay for & any additional cost associated with a good fitter is frankly sod all as a proportion of the actual cost of skiing over a few years.
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Glad this one came up, I've second guessed myself into a hole and need someone to set me straight. I've been lucky enough to have quite straight knees so don't have much experience with canting expect for fine tuning race skis.

My dad is a lower intermediate and has very bowed legs, as such he skis with his feet extra-wide in order to get them running flat. Before investing in expensive procedures i really want to do a bit of trial and error using card inserts under his footbed (he has a proper set of those so that's not the issue) but have argued myself out of a decision. do I,

A: place inserts on the outside of the foot in order to pronate his feet and move his knees back in line with the middle of his boots (like the plum line type method), obviously he walks with his feet in a normal stance so it shouldn't be an issue for his knees.

or B: do i place the inserts on the inside to accommodate his bowed legs and provide pressure to the inside of the ski while he is standing in his natural stance (I worry this may force his knees further out though)

please if anyone could give me a definite answer I would be very greatful, if it's just a guess please say as I don't want him to hurt himself, he's already terrified and on the edge of losing control I don't want to push him over.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
dulcamara, Why not experiment and see which side produces the effect you want, it should be easy enough to swap them around.

I use card strips 25mm wide, but stick them to the boot board rather than under the footbed.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
dulcamara, do you not have anywhere near you to get him assessed, you should be able to get this done in first instance, which shouldn't cost a fortune. Would probably save lot of grief & will give you an idea of what's best to help him.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
rjs, that's excatly what i used for my stuff and was great, but i was only fine tuning, i don't if it's going to be possible to use the same theory for such a big alteration (i would have put it on the outside for me)

gatecrasher, Unfortunately there is only one nearby, (he's here on holiday at the moment) and its great but theres a huge waiting list and would cost at lease 100 Euro for a normal adjustment, can't stretch to that
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
dulcamara wrote:
he's already terrified and on the edge of losing control

then wrote:
would cost at lease 100 Euro for a normal adjustment, can't stretch to that

He's your dad FFS, not a lab experiment! Shocked How much has he spent on you in the past? Man up and get the poor guy a professional job Evil or Very Mad .
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Sigh.... thanks for the "advice" maggi, but he's skiing this week and there's a huge waiting list. Not even sure it will help so this is kind of a Hail mary pass.

Does anyone here understand canting properly? and could give me a definitive answer?

(i fully appreciate professionals need to protect their business so anyone else abe to help)
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
We charge 130 euros, even if the results say that the current set up is perfect, like it or lump it. Blush
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
dulcamara wrote:
Does anyone here understand canting properly? and could give me a definitive answer?

(i fully appreciate professionals need to protect their business so anyone else abe to help)

That's because there isn't a definite answer as there is insufficient information to work on and there are too many variables. Making some of the changes you propose could be detrimental to his skiing and more importantly him.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
trial and error it is then...
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy