Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Where to go with young children, and which tour operator?

Poster: A snowHead
Hi. We are planning an extended family holiday with two young children (age 7 and 5) next winter along with 8 adults. Both children are new to skiing so we are looking for a family friendly area and tour operator. Most of the adults are experienced skiers but we do not need a mega resort. We will probably have to go in February half term and know it will be expensive, but we do not have an unlimited budget. We want catered accommodation which is near to the ski school. If the hotel/chalet had a pool that would be an added bonus.

Any recommendations please?
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Quote:

We will probably have to go in February half term and know it will be expensive

are there older kids? For little ones, I'd make up my mind to take them out of school I think. It's not just the cost, you will also find busy slopes just about everywhere. If you are sticking to school hols it's worth looking at Christmas. Quite a bit cheaper and quieter (though New year tends to be v busy).

You will get lots of advice from people who know the various family operators. We always took our kids out of school when they were young, and looked after them ourselves - any other option was too expensive, and we had a lot of fun.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
On the operators front I have used Esprit and were very happy with them and are going with them mid April with our 3 &6 yr old (taking my 6yr old out of school).

Next year we are going with Mark Warner for the first time. They were doing a decent price for second week of Easrer school hols. They have got good reviews on here.

Others that have had good reviews are FamilyFriendlySkiing and the operator in Puys St Vincent er I think they are called Snow Bizz?
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Thanks for advice so far. Unfortunately, we also have a teacher in the party who also restricts when we can go Crying or Very sad
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Quote:

Unfortunately, we also have a teacher in the party who also restricts when we can go

Ah yes. My daughter and SiL are both teachers, so I know the problem. they were out at my apartment at Christmas and will be out again at Easter. They can't face skiing at half term - even though they could use my apartment for free. They are both pretty exhausted at half terms, and need the time just to recover a bit, as they have two small kids.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Hi Big Dave,

You can come with us - www.brentaski.com

The 5 year old can join the Kinderworld (yeah I know, daft name, but it's really good) and the 7 year old can either join the Kinderworld or go into a class with other 6/7/8 year olds.

If you have any questions you can post them here (lots of SH have been on our trips so you'll get lots of answers) or contact me via the website

Last edited by You'll need to Register first of course. on Fri 1-03-13 16:42; edited 1 time in total
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Big Dave, I would recommend any of the operators mentioned here: Best Resorts for Family Skiing.

That should give you quite a range of resorts to choose from. For something a bit different, my favourite of the bunch is the little village of Vaujany (in the same ski area as Alpe d'Huez). All the benefits of being a little resort (friendly, easy to get around), but with the bonus of being part of a huge ski area. The main operator there, Ski Peak, is a great little British outfit and the childcare is excellent.

We've written a whole bunch of articles on family skiing advice, if you want to research any further.
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Big Dave, from experience (a while ago now) of having similar requirements, another vote for Esprit - La Rosiere on 3 occasions. Some ski-in/out options, all close to the enclosed children's ski area and various clubs. Decent catered chalets. Food etc all good. La Ros is fairly compact as a town and, if a bigger ski area is fancied, the option for some/all of the group to head over to Italy.

Wayne's, outfit seems well set-up too. Not taken children with them, but did go as a small group a couple of years ago - slick, well-run with good emphasis on customer care.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Big Dave, Not sure if you have been following the news lately, but... When our daughter was five - we had our first family ski holiday in Andorra, the small kids clinging on to the chair lifts terrified me. We had our next four skiing holidays in Niederau in Austria. There ia a Gondola up and down the main mountain all other lifts are tows.. Brilliant beginners area at the bottom, excellent ski school, and now huge linked area available by free bus 10 mins away in Auffach. Cheap compared to France, but peace of mind was the decider for us.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
parallel lines, Most holidays, most places, will involve some chairlifts and I don't think you should scare people by suggesting they pose horrendous risks to children. The girl killed in Italy recently was a teenager, not a small child and accidents, thankfully, are extremely rare. Children face much bigger risks in life.

Gondolas are not risk-free anyway - they probably kill as many people as chair-lifts. Skullie
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Another vote for Snowbizz in Puy St Vincent. Creche, apartments and ski school all within a few hundred metres of each other. It really is a ski in ski out resort and Snowbizz have excellent childcare.
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
welove2ski wrote:
Big Dave, I would recommend any of the operators mentioned here: Best Resorts for Family Skiing.

Saas Fee is included in there. Whilst the nursery area is ideal, there was not alot on the mountain to move on up to. The only blue run to the valley was closed all week. On the first day I ended up skiing down the red run with my 3yr old in my arms as the red, which we really ought not to have been on anyway turned out to be very steep narrow and mogulled. Check out the ski map and you'll see what I mean.
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
A completely different take on things... On the spur of the moment (Eldest daughter being in the Dolomites, and needing collection at specific times buggering the half term up!) Me, the Mrs, daugher number 2, and the brother & sister in law hit centre parcs near Eindhoven for the 5 days (3 hours from the channel). Oh and this centre parcs has a snowdome on the side of it!

To me the instruction seemed good (we didn't use it mind), people were friendly not a bad place to learn the basics, complete with excellent spoken English by the Dutch hosts. Sure its just a fridge, but at a shade over £700 for accomdation and fridge pass (with ski hire) for the lot of us you can spend the rest on getting plastered Laughing Embarassed Of course I'd much rather be in the Alps, but hey ho...

http://www.centerparcs.com/EN/GB/villages/kempervennen/activities/montana-snowcenter
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
andrew e, that could be perfect for us (me!) this summer and solves the problem of will little one like skiing or not, thank you.

Now to convince the family it'll be a great place for a 'summer' holiday!
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
I took my 6 year old daughter to La Tania this year and although I'm sure there are many places just as good or even better it would fit your bill pretty well. There are plenty of tour operators that would take you there, but I did a DIY trip with Snow Retreat (a snowhead no less) and we had a great time. In particular the ski school Magic in Motion (another snowhead recommendation) are absolutely marvelous and gave my daughter who was already an accomplished dry-slope skier a fantastic introduction to snow. No pool though.
snow conditions
Big Dave, I know you said you didn't need a mega resort but Belle Plagne with Crystal to the Hotel Turquoise ticks most of your boxes.
http://www.crystalski.co.uk/ski-resorts/france-ski-holidays/la-plagne/hotel-turquoise/

I stayed there solo a few years ago on a late-availability and it was definitely family oriented. No pool but there is a public pool not far away in Plagne Bellecote.
They seem to have dropped the creche facilities though. Maybe not quite so kiddy friendly as before?? But a great location for beginners
snow report
Ill give a vote to Family Ski Company. We have taken 3 kids on two trips with them. Been to Les Coches and Reberty, both excellent.

They will take the kids from 9-4 and let you have a proper holiday. If you fill a chalet, you could all eat together. Many places make the kids eat far too early IMO, they give them cake at 4pm then dinner at 5:30. I suppose school hols could be expensive, term time (when we go) is okay.

Only down side is the kids are with ESF who I don't rate, but that's another thread...
ski holidays
Quote:

I would recommend any of the operators mentioned here: Best Resorts for Family Skiing.

Can't believe my fave family resort is missing, but will keep it a secret wink

Oh ok it's Vallandry and several here have gone with Club Med and families to Peisey. which is catered and right next to ski school
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy