Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Does late March Chamonix make sense for a beginner/improver?

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
I'm guessing that because it's late in the season - it will be icy.
Sounds painful for a beginner/improver snowboarder.

I was keen on doing a UCPA course in Chamonix --- to get some skills going (4 days of instruction). But maybe this doesn't make sense?
Would you guys recommend going - or wait 'til next year?
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
jayj, welcome to snowheads. snowHead

March isn't really "late in the season". You can get icy conditions at any time. I would think 4 days with UCPA instruction would do wonders for your skills and the instructors will know where to head to find the best conditions. Just wear the armour and take supplies of ibuprofen. wink
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Thanks Pam for the encouragement Smile

Guess, it's more a question of whether any other resorts be preferable? Probably last week of March/1st wk April.
E.g. I saw a super cheap deal to Valfrejus - with 4, half days of instruction, for example.
Or maybe it doesn't matter.. Thanks!!
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
jayj, Chamonix offers some variation in altitude and aspect - probably as good as most places. I don't know Valfrejus but the UCPA lessons generally get a very good press here on SHs.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
pam w, Sorry to disagree, but I think a beginner/improver would be better off elsewhere. We've just returned from what I thought was a fantastic time in Cham, but MrsC disagreed. She noted that according to the piste map, Cham classify the slope colours differently, so as not to put off the punters.
Normal resort: blue, easy; red, moderate; black, difficult.
Chamonix: green (not many), easy; blue, moderate; red, difficult; black, very difficult.
At least they're up front about it, unlike Val d'Isere.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Chamcham, I agree Chamonix is not easy skiing, and I certainly wouldn't recommend it as a "beginner resort) but there is a decent range of slopes and the having UCPA instruction adds a lot of value. There are a lot of reports on SHs about UCPA instruction and I don't think anybody has complained about being taken to places which are too difficult for them. It's certainly not a place where it makes sense for beginners, or early intermediates, to just go and try to potter round on their own, without guidance.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
I think if you deleted "late March" from the title, the answer would be a very simple NO.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Thanks guys

Quote:

I think if you deleted "late March" from the title, the answer would be a very simple NO.

Why's that?
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
jayj wrote:
Thanks guys

Quote:

Why's that?

Because it would then read "Does Chamonix make sense for a beginner/improver?" And the answer would be NO, the reason being is that the terrain is far too difficult for a beginner.
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Kel wrote:
jayj wrote:
Thanks guys

Quote:

Why's that?

Because it would then read "Does Chamonix make sense for a beginner/improver?" And the answer would be NO, the reason being is that the terrain is far too difficult for a beginner.

Hey? The Les Houches and Domain De Balme pistes ... are you sure?
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
jayj, I came to Cham four years ago for my second ski trip (and that was in April). I have been back every year since and am now doing a season here, which should tell you something. You will be absolutely fine if coming for a UCPA week with instruction.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
jayj wrote:
I'm guessing that because it's late in the season - it will be icy.
Sounds painful for a beginner/improver snowboarder.

I was keen on doing a UCPA course in Chamonix --- to get some skills going (4 days of instruction). But maybe this doesn't make sense?
Would you guys recommend going - or wait 'til next year?

Assuming normal Spring weather, it'll only be icy for the first hour each day. As the sun touches the snow, it will turn into lovely corn, then lovely slush.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
There was a thread on this exact topic and the Resort Reviews section. And the conclusion was, Chamonix is fine for early intermediates, but not best choice very late in season as easier pistes are in low-lying or south-facing areas which will suffer more in strong sun, while high and north-facing Grands Montets is not the most suitable or enjoyable skiing unless you are reasonably good.

There are UCPAs in many higher resorts with north facing slopes and much better runs for early intermediates eg nearby Flaine. Worth a try?
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy