Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Highest areas in Salzburg Amade region?

Poster: A snowHead
I'm off to Zauchensee in the Salzburg Amade region tomorrow. Unfortunately the weather forecast for the second half of next week is looking dreadful, with a surge in temperature and heavy rain, with the rain only turning to snow at the very highest part of the resort. My best bet is to head for a high ski area, where it will be more snow than rain, e.g. Obertauern or Kaprun. Neither of these is actually in the Amade area, though, so I'd have to get a rather more expensive pass to cover them. Is there anywhere in the Amade area as such where I will be able to stay high up and avoid the rain?
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Looks like a nice weather to me:
http://www.bergfex.com/zauchensee/wetter/

Lovely spring weather, sun, lots of snow on the ground Wink

Sportgastein is the highest in Ski Amade but it is over one hour in the car one way! Pointless, you will have a great time in Zauchensee.

If you have a car you can go to Obertauern, ski pass probably around 30E more for a week.

Last edited by Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person on Fri 1-03-13 10:53; edited 2 times in total
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Hmm, quite different from the one from snow-forecast.com, which is saying "Heavy rain (total 30.0mm), heaviest during Fri morning. ". I hope the Bergfex one is right!
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Where's Kooky's post gone?
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Spring sunshine in Zauchensee - Heaven. A quick drop over to ski the sunny side at Flachauwinkel/Kleinarl first thing before it gets slushy - So Jealous.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Quote:

Pointless, you will have a great time in Zauchensee.

I'm sure I will early in the week. But in pouring rain on Thursday and Friday, if the forecast is right, I'm not so sure. Freezing level is set to be something like 2100m, so if I can stay above that I should be OK. Of course, the weather forecast might turn out to be wrong (it often is), but I just want to get the right pass at the beginning of the holiday. If there is nowhere high locally on the Amade pass, I'll go for the more expensive one. Actually the Dachstein glacier seems a decent bet, not sure how long it will take to get there from Altenmarkt (where we're staying) but it shouldn't be too long.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
I can't see any sign of heavy precipitation for next weekend in that region on the latest charts. Not sure where snow forecast.com have got their information from? It might be a tad warm at valley level but it will be cooler up the mountain and not likely to affect the snow that much.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Forecast looks amazing for next week. Sun all week. What's not to like?
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Really, I'm not making a bad weather forecast up for some bizarre reason. Why would I? I use the long range weather forecast from www.skiclub.co.uk, which is provided by snow-forecast.com. If you're logged in as a SCGB member you can see the forecast for 7-9 days, and it says "Heavy rain (total 30.0mm), heaviest during Fri morning. Mild temperatures (max 5°C on Thu morning, min 2°C on Thu night). " Honestly! If you're a Ski Club of Great Britain member you can check it out yourself. As I say, the forecast could well be wrong as it often is (it forecast big dumps of powder for my last two skiing holidays which didn't materialise). But assuming it's right, where should I go?
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Another Austrian weather site is predicting rain für Zauchensee towards the end of next week Sad

http://www.wetter.at/wetter/sport-freizeit/ski-wetter/oesterreich/salzburg/zauchensee-flachauwinkl/prognose/9-tage
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
J2R, relax, the forecast precipitation is a long way off, forecast will change. Looks set for sun for next 4 or 5 days. I've just finished skiing today at Schladming and conditions are great. Was finding plenty of untracked powder on north facing slopes and shaded areas. It's nice and warm but nothing to get too worried about. Even if it rains the snow will be pretty resilient on piste as it's well compacted. It's pretty unusual to get rain to 2000m in March, not so in valleys, so I'm sure it will turn out okay. BTW the highest point in ski amade is Dachstein glacier, a bit higher than sport gastein but very limited piste skiing so sport gastein would be a better option if indeed the freezing level goes high. Hoping to do some touring on Dachstein in next few days, should be plenty of decent powder up there still. Bring the suncream.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
OK, so I can aim for the Dachstein glacier or Sportgastein if the weather forecast does turn out to be accurate - no need to buy the pass which covers Obertauern. I was actually hoping to be doing more off-piste than on this holiday. What's the Dachstein glacier have to offer in that respect?
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
J2R wrote:
I was actually hoping to be doing more off-piste than on this holiday. What's the Dachstein glacier have to offer in that respect?

A few ideas here http://www.schischule-ramsau.at/freeriding-programme.html

There's lots of touring options, though a guide really is required as it glacier terrain higher up. The Edelgreiss is the most common freeride line, requires a climb up a ladder, crawl through a tunnel, traverse a strictly no falling zone and then opens out into a nice steep decent of 1300m.
http://youtube.com/v/itEpNHlH-n0 Not done it myself too bloody worried about the ladder, I say every season I'll do it. A friend did ski tour into the Edelgriess a few weeks back so I may try that, thus avoiding the ladder. or I just man up a bit.

if it's raining / snowing you'd not want to be off piste on the Dachstein as you'd have limited vis.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Quote:

if it's raining / snowing you'd not want to be off piste on the Dachstein as you'd have limited vis.

Yes, that's a good point. Thanks for the tips anyway!
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Just watched the video. I can categorically say now that I will never do that run, if you have to go up that ladder to do it...
latest report
Well, whaddayaknow, the forecast has already changed, and no rain is now forecast!
latest report
J2R, from despair to ecstasy in the click of a mouse Little Angel
latest report
Haven't done it either yet but here's another clip on the Edelgrieß

http://youtube.com/v/IAvNe9Pg8u0
snow report
Looks like the ladder has been upgraded from a few b&q aluminium ladders to steel steps. I was told by someone recently that when the tunnel was first opened no ladder was required, the glacier has shrunk by about 20m depth! Seems to be confirmed here http://www.ennstalwiki.at/wiki/index.php/Rosmariestollen
ski holidays
Quote:

J2R, from despair to ecstasy in the click of a mouse

And back to despair. The rain forecast is back! To be fair, the issue is not that I'm worrying about the rain, just trying to decide what pass to go for. Who knows what will happen? I'll stick with the Amade pass, though.
snow conditions
DB, haha you don´t miss a trick wink I checked 3 reports and decided it was possibly a rash statement !!

A slightly better way to get to SportGastein is drive to Großarl and ski over, less time in the car more kms under your skis

Blush

FWIW, I would be very surprised if it rained in Zauchensee!
snow report
kooky, You will still need to bus it from Dorfgastein. The car is the best bet as the buses up the toll road to Sportgastein are not too frequent. The drive is relatively quick even if it is a bit of a drive from Altenmarkt.
snow report
kooky wrote:
DB, haha you don´t miss a trick wink I checked 3 reports and decided it was possibly a rash statement !!

Don't worry I won't tell anyone that you offered to run through the streets naked if it did rain in Zauchensee this weekend Toofy Grin
snow report
waynos wrote:
Looks like the ladder has been upgraded from a few b&q aluminium ladders to steel steps. I was told by someone recently that when the tunnel was first opened no ladder was required, the glacier has shrunk by about 20m depth! Seems to be confirmed here http://www.ennstalwiki.at/wiki/index.php/Rosmariestollen

Hope so .....
http://mw2.google.com/mw-panoramio/photos/medium/14623410.jpg

In the clip I posted there doesn't appear to be a Seil / metal cable, wouldn't fancy doing it without a Seil do you know if this has been recently taken away or added? In your clip dated 2012 the Seil is there and it looks brand new (not yet rusted) .
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy