Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Video footage Austria 2013

Poster: A snowHead
DB wrote:
You're the ski instructor, I'm just a punter.
I wouldn't say you're "just" anything. You always have something interesting to say in the technical threads, so it's enjoyable to discuss things with you.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Megamum wrote:
FWIW I think that video (and I've seen it before), has a lot to do with that that thread I posted - 'dive down the hill', when he talks about projecting himself forward and across the skis surely that achieves that 'dive down the hill' scenario? Yes/No?

Yes for me it's similar to diving down the hill. From your videos I see you are standing on the skis as opposed to balancing on the inside edges under the centre point of the boot.

If you start to bend the skis (by getting them on edge and then putting pressure on while increasing the edge angle) at the start of the turn they slice round the corner leaving a groove as opossed to scraping round .
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
rob@rar wrote:
DB, I agree with all that. If there is a movement or a stance issue which is providing a block to what you are trying to achieve then it needs to be fixed. But that is different from developing complex fore/aft movements at the same time as trying to develop cleanly carved turns.

I think it is important to focus on the fundamental movements (that affect 90% of the turn's effectiveness) rather than the subtle adjustments (that affects 10% of the turn). I like to KISS, as they say.

Yes I agree basic fundamentals and keeping it simple.
Starting a carved turn from the backseat means in most cases that the best you can hope for is to catch up to the beat at the next turn. Some learners appear to start every turn from the backseat, they can't start to get the ski on edge as their hips are behind their feet.

Just thought something that gets the skier hips forward at the start of the turn would help. Seemed to work for me. Over exaggerating a fault in the opposite direction often helps the student to find the happy medium.

video deleted as it was even worse than Kitenski's below (and that's saying something) wink .

Last edited by Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see? on Tue 26-03-13 20:14; edited 2 times in total
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
DB, that drill look horrid and seem to get the person demoing them in the back seat....

Personally I'd try some J turns on a very easy green slope, start off pointing your skis just below a traverse, and as it gets more comfortable make the starting point so that your skis are pointing further down the hill until you can do it both directions from a starting point of skis pointing straight down.

Then try and link, all on green runs.

video deleted, DBs down below a whole lot better

Last edited by You need to Login to know who's really who. on Tue 26-03-13 20:11; edited 1 time in total
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
kitenski, that ^ vid is not much better either imv Laughing

Hips really open/countered to the direction of travel, the promotion of even pressure on both skis throughout? So all the long leg short leg stuff we've all talked about will be pretty difficult to master.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
gatecrasher, yeh but I ran out of time looking for a J turn video Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

If anyone has a better one I'll pull it!!
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
kitenski, Laughing
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
What about this ..... ?

http://youtube.com/v/UGn62uxnhjg
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
DB, like that one, pulling mine Smile
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
This one shows carving on a very flat slope and the transition between carved turns.

http://youtube.com/v/vkCwS7a8qUQ
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
DB, this last one works for me, none of that "roll your skis onto edge, be patient for them to bite stuff" everything you need to know within the first 30 seconds to learn to find the edge without any "leap of faith involvement"

Pressure/find edge/continue pressure differential between skis, as opposed to roll/wait "leap of faith" find edge/pressure.

The method on this video is a lot less scary way for people to learn to initiate the turn imv, once this has been achieved then they can move on with the hips getting a little more involved for transition as described.
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Wasn't there a Power Plough video here at one point? I think it's a good drill for developing edging skills, which can be a useful tool when developing carved turns.
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
rob@rar,

This one ?

http://youtube.com/v/4gyGmyN0xso
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
DB, yeah, that one. It's a good drill for developing edge control, although we use it in a slightly different way to that video. skimottaret came up with a variation of that which is a one-leg power plough. Sorts the men from the boys...
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
rob@rar,

I'd love to master this exercise .....

http://youtube.com/v/jtRnjJTr5Og&list=PL6312A1020873B399
snow conditions
Another drill ..............

http://youtube.com/v/YWwfI52HCBM
ski holidays
DB, thousand steps often ends up with the client just "marching" and not really finding their edges. "Three steps" can be more effective. One step before the fall line, one at the fall line and one after the fall line. You need to ensure that the step from ski to ski is a step from edge to edge, not edge to flat ski.
snow conditions
DB, the drill in the first of those two videos is a variation of the commonly practised White Pass turn
NZSIA Level Three Task - Whitepass Turns from NZSIA Ski
http://vimeo.com/9093525
and is designed to get the CoM down the hill (flow line to cross the ski line, toppling, diving down the hill, hip crossover call it what you will).
latest report
DB, the white pass turn you put up is a fairly high level drill but really helps calm down the transition and getting the body moving down the hill... In racing it is sorta old skool now in that it promotes a turn transition off the outside ski... Another variation of it is to finish the turn on the little toe edge of the inner ski only, rolling up and over onto the big toe edge at the fall line... helps promote parallel shins and more equal weighting of the skis , useful for powder and super G training. (but is pretty hard to do at speed)
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy