Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Saalbach to Salzburg advice by train

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Would anyone be able to advise best transfer from Saalbach to Salzburg Airport

I'm guessing, train journey. Is this one direct train or changes involved

Cost? Length of journey?
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Depnding on the route taken it's around 60 to 80 miles.
Don't think the train is the best option. There's a shuttle bus for €39 each way or €74 return. Takes around 2 hours.

http://www.holiday-shuttle.at/html/deutsch/saalbach/ueberuns.html
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
No train from saalbach, bus to Zell am see, then trains and taxi/bus to airport, about £20
Holiday-shuttle.at minibus great value and less hassle, but only runs every 2 hrs and you need good luck on timings
Taxi best option for 2 persons or more
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Holiday Shuttle by far the easiest and best option - this time in English http://www.holiday-shuttle.at/html/englisch/saalbach/aboutus.html

Even though the Shuttle only runs every 2 hours, the bus+train option is hardly any more convenient, as you need a bus to Zell am See, train to Salzburg Hbh, then a taxi or trolleybus out to the airport. Trains only run every 2 hours, and the connection at Zell is quite tight.

For the really adventurous, there is the option of a bus journey - take the Zell am See Postbus and change at the Maishofen crossroads for the Salzburg Postbus, which runs via the airport. But this option departs from Saalbach at approx. the same as the Holiday Shuttle.

For 3 or more passengers, the best option is a private VIP taxi from the Holiday Shuttle company.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
1969jma, The public transport options (bus, as well as train) can be researched at www.oebb.at - accessible in English and very user-friendly. Much depends on how much time you've got, but the bus (changing at Maishofen) will be the cheapest option.

For one or two people, the Holiday Shuttle (the most usual choice) and Vorderegger Reisen are the two best options - the latter does 5 shuttles a day and is cheaper, whereas the former does 8 a day and is slightly more expensive.

For three or more people, private transfers provided by the Transfer Service and Oberkopfler Reisen are worth considering.

The standard one way taxi fare is 150 euros, so worth considering for a sizable group.

A taxi/shuttle transfer usually takes between an hour and 1hour 30 mins but can take significantly longer during busy times on Saturdays.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
We arrive in Salzburg Airport on Saturday 11th January, 2014 at 13:35 hrs.

My next query is how long is it likely to take to transit through the airport upon arrival. If things happen quickly then I should book the "Holiday-Shuttle" transfer for 14:30 hrs. If it is likely to be slower then perhaps I should book the later transfer of 16:30 hrs.

I would be grateful for any advice from experienced travellers through Salzburg Airport.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
If you are arriving on a Ryanair/Easyjet flight, then you would normally have time for a coffee and still easily catch the 14-30. The other terminal for package operators may be a little slower, if they are actually still separate. Ive not flown from there for a couple of years.
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
An Aspirer,

An hour should easily be sufficient to make the connection. Salzburg is a small airport and is very efficient, even on a Saturday in the winter (and 11th Jan is one of the quieter Saturdays for incoming flights). When you book the Holiday Shuttle, write your flight number and arrival time in the 'comments' box on the booking form. In my experience, the Shuttle drivers will wait for an extra 15 minutes or so if they see that your flight is delayed or if the terminal is particularly busy. Often the only passengers will be those on the incoming Ryanair/Easyjet/BA/Jet 2 flights, so they'll wait for you. Similarly, if they can see that a particular flight is horrendously delayed, they will attempt to get you onto the later Shuttle. If there are 4 or more in your group, consider booking your own VIP taxi from Holiday Shuttle for around the same price as the individual tickets. That way, the taxi waits for you whatever your arrival time.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
I did the train to Saalbach last season as the times of the holiday shuttle didn't match up. It took about 3 hours but it was fairly straightforward and the train goes through the vallys so you get pretty views.
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
madlondoner, Was that from Salzburg, what time of day, and did you get a taxi or bus for the final leg from Zell am See?
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
I arrived at about midday and my flight times just missed the holiday shuttle. The airport is quite close to the train station - it took about fifteen minutes. The train was quite cheap and left twenty minutes after I arrived at the station. Not sure if I was lucky or if they are really regular. I imagine they are quite frequent as zell am see is on one of the main train routes through the country.

The bus was every half hour and leaves from the stop across the road from the station.

Note that in the skicircus you get free skiing from 3 or 4pm the day before a six day pass starts.
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Quote:

you get free skiing from 3 or 4pm the day before a six day pass starts

Yes, it's from 3pm - and it's surprising how much you can get done in that final couple of hours (the Kohlmais gondola closes for final ascents at 4.30pm), so it's a very worthwhile bonus, especially if you extend it by calling at a couple of mountain bars on the way down.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy