Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Travel credit card

Poster: A snowHead
I've just been reminded that I have a Post Office credit card tucked away and here's why you might like to know why...

They don't charge a fee for using it abroad. Unlike other cards who will charge around 2.5% /trx, usually with a minimum fee of a couple of quid, the Post Office one doesn't. That's got to be worth a few extra beers (if I could only remember the PIN!).

(other cards may offer a similar facility, I do not work for the post office wink)
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Up-to-the-minute advice:

http://www.moneysavingexpert.com/travel/cheap-travel-money
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
yup, listening to martin on radio 5live right now and it was him who reminded me. ta for the link.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
likely bcos they screw you on the rate instead.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
gangstarrrrr wrote:
likely bcos they screw you on the rate instead.

Not as far as I can see. The most recent check I did on my PO credit card was in France in January. I used both it and a Tesco credit card (which charges for foreign transactions) on the same days and found, as I had before, that the exchange rate was the same.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Nationwide credit card doesn't charge a fee or load the exchange rate for European transactions.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Nixtoo wrote:
Nationwide credit card doesn't charge a fee or load the exchange rate for European transactions.

Are you sure that's still the case ? I used to have one precisely for that reason but I believe that they changed their T&Cs which is why I dumped it and got the Halifax one instead which is the recommended as the best card to use abroad now.

In my experience you need to keep checking these things as they can be changed and you don't always realise.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Halifax Clarity CC doesn't charge any fees and is incredibly reasonable with its exchange rates.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
dsoutar, I think the Nationwide Select one doesn't if you also have a Nationwide Flexaccount.
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Quote:

Nixtoo wrote:

Are you sure that's still the case ? I used to have one precisely for that reason but I believe that they changed their T&Cs which is why I dumped it and got the Halifax one instead which is the recommended as the best card to use abroad now.

In my experience you need to keep checking these things as they can be changed and you don't always realise.

As far as I know it's still good for existing customers, possibly not for new ones. I'll know for sure after next week in Tignes.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Quote:

Nixtoo wrote:

As far as I know it's still good for existing customers, possibly not for new ones. I'll know for sure after next week in Tignes.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
I stopped using my nationwide card as something changed, can't remember what. Like Hells Bells said I think it is still good if you use the account as your main account.
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
If you have the black Nationwide card with grey graphics, it isn't good. The grey card with black graphics is for current account holders and has no transaction fees.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
The change with Nationwide was on the debit card which used to be no loading and what they call "perfect" exchange rate so you could just draw cash from the cashpoint? The credit card (at least the one I have) still has no loading and perfect rate.

Money saving expert really is the best source for this sort of stuff.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
I used to have a Nationwide Flex card. This was a Visa debit card and it did not add anything beyond the Visa exchange rate (a fraction of a percent). However, that changed a couple of years ago and they now charge 2.5% on top - or something like that.
ski holidays
Its the nationwide credit card I have and it hasn't charged me anything on all my recent transactions in France. I've had it for years, so not sure what the deal is for new customers
snow report
Yeah I used to have a Nationwide card but they started charging for most places. They changed it, I dumped it.

I picked up the Post Office (Bank of Ireland) card. They charge *nothing* above the VISA rate *anywhere*.

Most people (including in this thread) will swear that they're paying nothing extra, but they are looking for charges on their bill. The extra charge is in the small print, but not on the bill. They "roll it all up" into the exchange and don't advertise the fact you're paying 1.75 or more often 2.75% over the VISA rate. That's why you need to read the small print. Or don't, and be happy, but you're still paying.

If you're using one of those cards-for-people-who-don't-read-the-contract then, well, you're paying more than those who do.
snow report
philwig, even on cash withdrawals?
ski holidays
I've stuck with NW credit card which I've had for years, it's zero charge interbank rate for the European countries I need it for. Metro bank debit card for cash withdrawals which gives similar.
snow report
philwig wrote:

Most people (including in this thread) will swear that they're paying nothing extra, but they are looking for charges on their bill. The extra charge is in the small print, but not on the bill. They "roll it all up" into the exchange and don't advertise the fact you're paying 1.75 or more often 2.75% over the VISA rate. .

I don't follow. In the transactions I mentioned above, Tesco Visa charged 2.5% transaction fee and the Post Office didn't. Both made the exchange at the same rate. In my simple arithmetic, that made the PO card cheaper, no hidden catches. So what am I missing?
snow conditions
You're missing nothing: the Post Office (Bank of Ireland) card does not charge you, but Tesco does. That's why I use a PO card abroad.

Cash transactions are a slightly different question, but actually I recently researched that as I needed to shift a large amount of cash to North America....

The main problem if you're using a credit card (any credit card) for a cash withdrawal is the interest charges, which often (but not always) accrue from the date of withdrawal. You can in principle get around that by loading the card up first. However my bank card is a Visa Debit card, with free cash withdrawals (no 2.75% loading), so if I need cash that's the obvious way to go for me for that reason.

On your specific question, you'd have to check each specific card to see if they hit you with the extra charges for withdrawals (and also how they charge interest). They have to say it in the small print, just not in your bill. There is a campaign to change that policy as clearly most people don't realize they're being ripped off.
latest report
Thanks philwig, So I'm not one of the "Most people (including in this thread" Cool

On the matter of cash withdrawals, my bank (RBS) makes ridiculous charges on my debit card abroad but again the Post Office has a useful alternative in its Travel Money Card. I have one which I can charge up in sterling for outwith EU travel and one which I charge up in euros. Much cheaper.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy