Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Things you hate about chalet holidays! Ski Val-ue-less!!!!!!!!!!!

Poster: A snowHead
genepi, you have a prescription for Prozac and avoid the rush hour then.

I swear, if I get hit in the face once more by one those ridiculous avisacs-pretending-to be-handbags women insist on carrying into packed tubes these days I am going to empty the damn thing out on to the floor of the carriage then we'll all see why they think they have to carry the huge bloody things on public transport in the first place. And seriously, ladies, I do not care if you have to go to the gym, carrying more than two bags the size of weekend bags into work means you are a bag-lady, that's just a fact. And take the ruddy rucksac OFF!

I once started a list of things that I hated about the tube. I got to 126 then stopped as I realised I would either have to do therapy or a stand-up act if I continued. I can't afford therapy and I'm not that funny.

genepi, can I borrow some of your Prozac? It just occurred to me that your name might be a clue as to why you are so mellow about the experience. That and the fact that you are in Hants.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Wild beasts, I swear, whether tormented by hunger or by the steel that has pierced their vitals ... are less hideous in appearance than a man inflamed by anger. If you are free to listen to his cries and threats, hear what language issues from his tortured soul! Will not everyone be glad to check any impulse to anger when he realizes that it begins by working harm, first of all, to himself? If there are those who grant full sway to anger and deem it a proof of power, who count the opportunity of revenge among the great blessings of great estate, would you not, then, have me remind them that a man cannot be called powerful -no, not even free - if he is the captive of his anger
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Chalets all the time, only bad experience was with a TO (Crystal) where the host's welcoming speech announced he was only really there to get drunk and ski. Top marks for honesty though and have to say he lived up to our expectations (not sure the company values are supposed to be 'aim low, under deliver'). We only had to cook our own breakfast once due to his non-show. Cheap, late deal made it more palatable.

Always go for small independent chalets now. It's the hosts' own business so invariably providing a good service is crucial to their survival. The good ones will give you all the info and photos you need in advance to make an informed decision about whether it suits your needs. Not bounded by 'company policy' when requests are made or when having to rectify problems (which can occur on any holiday).
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Cynic wrote:
fatbob, Talking of false modesty, skied with a chap his friends called Hamlet at end of day it turned out he was the prince of Denmark

laundryman wrote:
Alas, poor Cynic…

Laughing Toofy Grin Laughing ...classics Cool
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Things I hate about Chalet holidays ... Nothing.
Hotels, anti social and unfreindly
Self catering, well, it's just that
It's each to their own, I'm self employed and work alone, even when I'm away with the family I look forward to meeting others.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
RattytheSnowRat wrote:
found out later that this bar was stocked with the bottles left over from the duty free previous guests brought in and then left. They even held bottles over from season to season. So they were getting the stuff for free then charging us by the glass at a slight discount to local prices. Thieving twunts!

One man's thieving twunt is another's convenient service provider, eco recycler and entrepeneur. SOP for even moderately bright chalet staff - the honesty bar, and considering the guests generally consider booze left over as a "tip" don't see the difference from them buying it.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Quote:

considering the guests generally consider booze left over as a "tip" don't see the difference from them buying it.

I agree - who else would the guests be leaving the booze for, if not the chalet staff? When we stayed in chalets we were very grateful that the staff hauled crates of beer up from the valley, kept it cool and sold it to us for much cheaper than bar prices, along with mixers for our duty free spirits. They earn a pittance and work hard - why begrudge them this bit of enterprise? Meeting and getting to know the chalet staff was a positive part of the holiday. The ones in Courchevel had bought a barge and were converting it to take Americans on cruises through the French canals in summer - they were supremely well organised and got a lot of skiing in, but they were in their nth season and had it down to a fine art. Their food was excellent and the chalet well kept. We had by far the nicest of our "chalet staff day off" evenings there, sitting by a roaring log fire, with the whole luxury chalet to ourselves, with a fine bottle of red wine and a variety of charcuterie bought at the street market, playing chess. I'd read the guidebook on Courchevel, fortunately, and when some fellow guests kindly invited us to join them for dinner I recognised the name of the restaurant they were booking as a very expensive one. Our evening was very agreeable and about 5% of the cost. Other evenings were quite convivial and busy so one quiet one in the middle of the week was a treat. We could pretend the chalet was ours!
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
pam w, Of course the licensed bartenders of France are the only ones qualified to dispense spirits or mixers safely and accordingly the long arm of les plods will be soon feeling the collars of the honesty bartenders. wink
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
fatbob, I daresay all kind of food handling and drink purveying rules are being broken - as they would be if a B & B in Yorkshire put bottles of spirits on the sideboard and invited guests to pay for them.
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
I'm just back from a wonderful chalet holiday in Les Deux Alpes - so much so I have booked up the same chalet for next year (was going to go to Bardonecchia but changed it now!). This is the 4th time I have been in a chalet and I like it and have always had a great time except for the one time where the chalet was filthy, the host was a young guy who really didnt care (washing all over the place when we arrived) - funnily enough, I've never seen that chalet featuring in any of the brochures!
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Quote:

RattytheSnowRat wrote:
found out later that this bar was stocked with the bottles left over from the duty free previous guests brought in and then left. They even held bottles over from season to season. So they were getting the stuff for free then charging us by the glass at a slight discount to local prices. Thieving twunts!

A different perspective might be that the thieving twunt is the tight fisted punter who happily receives 12 meals served from enthusiastic and conscientious (though probably inexperienced) kids working 12 hour days and then does a runner leaving a third of a bottle of cheap gin thinking it is an appropriate recognition of said service.

After many chalet holidays I'd say every single seasonnaire i've met wants to drink and ski to excesss but my experience is that the vast majority of them also manage to do a pretty good job and deserve a decent tip - at least pro rata to some grumpy french waiter who charges you 5 euros for a bottle of water...

Right - back to work - only 8 more toilets to clean and two cakes to bake before getting into that powder...
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
kewhoward,
Quote:

A different perspective might be that the thieving twunt is the tight fisted punter who happily receives 12 meals served from enthusiastic and conscientious (though probably inexperienced) kids working 12 hour days and then does a runner leaving a third of a bottle of cheap gin thinking it is an appropriate recognition of said service.

Well, I sort of agree. If the punters choose to leave a tip, then that's great. If not, then that's OK too. Good, enthusiastic service above and beyond what one should reasonably expect anyway should definitely be rewarded. But tips are not a god given right.

Quote:

After many chalet holidays I'd say every single seasonnaire i've met wants to drink and ski to excesss but my experience is that the vast majority of them also manage to do a pretty good job and deserve a decent tip - at least pro rata to some grumpy french waiter who charges you 5 euros for a bottle of water...
I couldn't agree more. The vast majority do a great job, (but that is sort of what they are employed to do). On a chalet holiday many years ago we had a couple of chalet girls who dropped endless hints about tips while doing a perfectly acceptable (but unexceptional) job. The universal view of the entire group was that they should NOT get a tip.

All that said, it never fails to surprise me what a great job most chalet girls/boys do.
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Quote:

But tips are not a god given right.

I absolutely agree - tips are the sharp end of performance related reward - subjective, unfairly distributed but probably, evened out over the season, pretty representative of how good a job you do. Though the absolute size of the reward will obviously depend on the environment you work in (unless you luck out with the Prince of Denmark)
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
The I do not see why we should tip the chalet hosts are the same tight ar#ses that wouldn't tip ski instructors. The group that has straight skis and rear entry boots believing that all this modernism is a waste of money. Although I am sure they only ski with their feet together to prevent the accidental fall of coinage.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Blimey.... I've always tipped chalet girls, but never heard of anyone tipping ski instructors. (Not that I've used an instructor for anything other than kids's group ski lessons in recent years.) Am I alone in this?
ski holidays
Cynic, foxtrotzulu, I tried to tip my guide in Chamonix at the end of Jan, It was only 40 euros, he refused.
He quaified this by saying he had never had so much fun whilst guiding and the best tip I could give him was to book him if I ever wanted to go again, now I'm sure this is what he says to all clients but I tried and failed to tip him!
snow report
Are these the instructors on 4-500E/day? Shocked
snow conditions
foxtrotzulu wrote:
Blimey.... I've always tipped chalet girls, but never heard of anyone tipping ski instructors. (Not that I've used an instructor for anything other than kids's group ski lessons in recent years.) Am I alone in this?

I must admit it had never occurred to me either saying that even if it had the only adult ski lessons we had we barely saw our instructor on day three of our 3 half days we had booked as he was coaxing the poor wan who had been moved up to our lesson for day 2 when she was nowhere near ready down the run me and hubby did as a bit of an easy warmup before the lesson started. So there was no way we would then anwyeay.
latest report
Circa 1990 Pre-Eurostar night train to Meribel. Big group of Brummies wearing matching spotted fleeces collecting at the shed/departure hall at Dover. Ferry to Calais and they were tucking into the booze. Not seen until the coach from Moutiers, loud and vulgar. Guess which chalet they got of at...... Crying or Very sad

We immediately went skiing and they went drinking (not 8 euro a glass then). There was just my married couple friends, I and a dozen of them in the chalet. Afternoon tea turned into afternoon abuse to the poor chalet girls. Really not very nice and not what you wanted on an expensive holiday (my mate was sent abroad by the army and got his money back and I was charged single supplement).

Think they were warned off by the TO and calmed down but gave a bad environment in the chalet.

Had about a dozen other experiences and all good.
latest report
martinm, Never met one: well paid probably €250 a day lesser jobing instructors less. Old saying in skiing you to be poor to teach rich to ski.
snow conditions
davidhammy wrote:
Everything, I would NEVER go on chalet holiday, it's self catering all the way for me........!

me too...after a chalet holiday from hell some15 years ago, when I had to run out of our room in my nightie, to go for a peaceful solitary walk in the village ...As a consequence I discovered a self catering apartment where we moved to the next day....and have rented the same apartment every year subsequently...No, could never again take the chance of a chalet holiday again. Toofy Grin
snow conditions
Julieanne,

Quote:

I had to run out of our room in my nightie, to go for a peaceful solitary walk in the village

Shocked The mind boggles!!! What happened there Puzzled
snow report
kewhoward,
Quote:

Right - back to work - only 8 more toilets to clean and two cakes to bake before getting into that powder...

I think it's the non washing of hands between tasks that folk are objecting to.
snow report
zellmaniac, --a long story..but suffice it to say that it put me off staying in chalets since! Twisted Evil

The particular holiday company has gone out of business, I've heard. Madeye-Smiley
latest report
I like chalet holidays. Someone cooks for you and serves you food. Usually of adequate quality and quantity although often a bit rich by the end of the week. Hosts generally aim to please and are happy to cater for various requests. Other guests have normally been fine too, I didn't really like two women in one chalet, they were in the army and I had nothing in common with them and they monopolised the sitting room playing war films at top volume the whole week. Couldn't have for more stereotypical if you had tried!

I think people who complain about chalet holidays go with expectations of silver service and a lack of tolerance or interest in other people!
snow report
kat.ryb wrote:
Hosts generally aim to please and are happy to cater for various requests....
...that's fine as long as the hostess is not a psychotic alcoholic, which ours was, alas, although at first she seemed like the most perfect chalet owner/hostess, a home from home she seemed to provide...until our third holiday at her establishment when all hell broke loose...but as I said it is a long story--best forgotten! rolling eyes
snow conditions
I won't tip an ESF instructor on the principle that it's France and they like the Service Compris "law".

Plus it's probably not safe for me to handle cash money Euros like that without an appropriate qualification - I might get a paper cut from a crisp note or accidently swallow some coins.
snow conditions
fatbob, they're probably qualified to guide to a cashpoint Toofy Grin
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
skimastaaah - I'm trying to imagine your female Bond movie villain/Nazi - slightly jealous that I've never had the experience!

Over the years we have tried most types of holiday, but due to our reduced economic situation we nearly always go as cheap as we can in the best resort (ski area wise) we can afford. So far we have not had a poor holiday with no illness/food poisoning beyond bad hangovers (although we did buy a new tea towel for our ski host in Les Arcs when we cremated his very grey, multifunctional original). We are a largish group (usually 7 - 10 or so), so we don't actually need to meet new people to have fun. However, we have had some good experiences with nice people on chalet holidays. In hotels people tend not to mix so much. This year we were in a hotel in Cervinia which was very good and we are looking forward to a chalet hotel in Alpe D'Huez in March.

As long as the snow is good we will have fun.

Tend to agree about self catering - we've done it, but it gets tricky with larger groups.

Cool Cool Cool Cool
snow conditions
BobH wrote:

As long as the snow is good we will have fun.

And that's the point........................... despite some seriously deranged chalet guests and chalet hosts I really did have some great skiing. Ooooops....... apart from Psycho-kid stomping all over my skis at the Zurs chairlift queue.

Won't go with Ski Val-ue-Less again, nor even attempt to recommend them as a TO. Confused
snow report
I went on my first chalet holiday this year and loved the experience. Our group did book the whole chalet, but none of us knew all the other people. The chalet was marketed as 'budget' but it really didn't feel like any corners has been cut: great food; reasonable amount of decent wine; hosts who managed to be both friendly and efficient. This was with Snowretreats in La Tania, I'd fully recommend them.

My previous experience of being in a chalet was running one with my husband. A fairly small company, not completely different to the one in the OP. I my opinion the company maybe thought they were more upmarket than they were, but all chalets were well run and the vast majority of our colleagues took pride in doing a decent job. Yes, they were there to ski and party too, but were mature enough to know how much of this they could do and still do the job well. Many were in their late 20s and 30s.
snow report
Chalet everytime! We've been doing chalets for 10 years now and the good times outweigh the bad experiences by miles, I've never left unhappy, certainly for the price paid.
ski holidays
Much prefer hotels to chalets. I like to meet new people.

I remember being on a chalet holiday once with my family in LDA, and it was just us 4 and this random weird bloke who'd gone skiing on his own. He was tight as a duck's *rse and never offered to buy a single drink when we went out until my brother finally said something! He even let me buy him drinks and I was about 17 and had no money!
ski holidays
I personally have had great experiences in Chalets but we normally got I either large Chalets or Chalet hotels. Piccadilly, we (me and hubby) went one year to Selva with my parents, most the other people in the chalet were a good laugh but there was one chap who was on his own and he really latched onto my parents. He was very odd and had some very odd ideas.
latest report
Julieanne,
Quote:

.that's fine as long as the hostess is not a psychotic alcoholic, which ours was, alas, although at first she seemed like the most perfect chalet owner/hostess, a home from home she seemed to provide...until our third holiday at her establishment when all hell broke loose...but as I said it is a long story--best forgotten!

That sounds interesting...!
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy