Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Chamonix end of April

Poster: A snowHead
Hi, My sis and I are are trying to head off skiing for a a few days right at the end of the season, last week of April. We were looking at Tignes but the cost of transfer is just soooo expensive we have started to look at Chamonix (as the transfer is only an hour and bus transfers are still running). I am just after some advice really as neither of us have skied in 10 years and would prefer easy reds/blues. Would you think that Cham would be ok for that, would there be some good runs at the top? Any recommendations greatly appreciated, esp on resort, runs and hotels. Thanks Smile
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
cookiepea, welcome to snowheads. snowHead The areas of Chamonix which have "easy reds/blues" will be closed by then. Tignes or Val Thorens would be better. Have a look at Mountainsun in Tignes - they do transfers from Geneva and are v good value.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Thanks pam w, yes, we looked at at Tignes but unfortunately the bus transfers have stopped by then and didn't fancy paying €800 for a taxi there and back, hence looking at Chamonix. Just interested to know what the runs are like that will be open.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Quote:

Just interested to know what the runs are like that will be open.

Difficult.

Look at Mountainsun - or do a search here on transfers. There are some useful websites for shared transfers. Nowhere near Geneva, other than the Grands Montets in Chamonix, will be open as late as the end of April.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
If you are only going "for a few days" the cheapest way, other than Mountainsun, might be to hire a car. You'll only need the smallest type.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Pretty late for Chamonix I would say.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
patricksh wrote:
Pretty late for Chamonix I would say.

I had some of the best skiing of last season in early May from the top of the GM.

I wouldn't go there as an intermediate skier looking for piste mileage that late in the season though.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Touchguru, and the OP wants easy reds and blues.
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
The Grands Montets runs have been considerably reshaped in recent summers, so are pretty straightforward.

For a few days end of season, should be fine.

I'd be looking forvArgentiere accom.
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Umm not sure if even a re-shaped Gran Montets is what someone who has not skied for 10 years and likes easy blues and reds is looking for.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
pam w wrote:
Touchguru, and the OP wants easy reds and blues.

Which is exactly why I put my last comment Smile
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Don't do it.

Chamonix is awful for late season and the runs are about as challenging as you'll find in France.

You are much better off taking the pain on a long transfer. Alternatively get Grenoble flights, go to 2 Alpes and stay in the Hotel le Cret. Effing high resort, glacial and an hour and a half transfer.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Quimpo, "Chamonix is awful for late season"

Uh?
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
How about Tignes but by train to Bourg St Maurice. Not sure if the direct Eurostar runs that late in the season but Eurostar to Paris, then TGV is do-able??
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
under a new name wrote:
Quimpo, "Chamonix is awful for late season"

Uh?

What?? Some of the best skiing of the season in late April. That said it's not really easy blues and reds at GM by then. I'm not sure what Point de Vue is? Red ish?! Certainly there won't be many people on the pistes.
ski holidays
Point de Vue may be on the reddish side of black, but neither it nor any of the slopes in GM are easy. Not the place for OP. Brevent / Flegere will be a slushy mess as they face south and there will be simply no snow in les Houches and probably le Tour also. So I think yoi get point Chamonix always great for advanced skiers but not for cruisers in April
snow report
Quote:

Brevent / Flegere will be a slushy mess as they face south

or they might, on the contrary, be blanketed in beautiful fresh powder but they close on 21 April AFAIK so the state of the snow is pretty irrelevant as the OP is unlikely to want to hike up there.
snow report
I don't think you are making a good choice here if you haven't skied in 10 years and looking for easy skiing. easier areas will most likely be closed by last week of April, which will leave you the Argentiere to ski, and this area is not known for many easy reds/blues.
ski holidays
I have to say that I don't see the GM pistes as being nearly as difficult as is being suggested.

Perfectly normal blues and reds.

If you have to ski when most places have closed, you have limited options.
snow report
Flaine is "partially open" until April 28th, might be a better bet than Cham for easier runs, and pretty easy to get to.

http://www.flaine.com/en/winter/faq-en-winter-1-24-1.htm
latest report
pam w wrote:
cookiepea, welcome to snowheads. snowHead The areas of Chamonix which have "easy reds/blues" will be closed by then. Tignes or Val Thorens would be better. Have a look at Mountainsun in Tignes - they do transfers from Geneva and are v good value.

Big +1 for mountainsun. Dead cheap transfers, and a great value holiday in either Tignes or La Plagne.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy