Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

In 3Vs? Show us your skills!

Poster: A snowHead
I'm sure 1 or 2 snowHeads have done this already this season, so come on, show us your skills Happy

In short, the Meribel Couloir has been pisted (partially) and you can register, free, at the top for them to video you and pick it up at the bottom on your 'mobile device' or have it sent to your facebook account, apparently. It's a 37 degree black, so not for everyone but for those who fancy the challenge, it's a nice free souvenir.

I'm out there next week with a group of friends, so, with a lesson mid-week, we'll be doing a before and after video to see if we've learnt anything at all!

http://www.merinet.com/events/news/test-yourself-on-the-brand-new-black-run.html
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
grazzenger, Not sure that it's been "pisted" exactly... it's a bit steep for that, but they have marked the route with black piste markers, in case it was difficult for anyone to pick out the route rolling eyes

Until last season, it was a great little off-piste couloir, but now that it's a "piste" it gets closed regularly - in fact I think it's been the only piste in Méribel to have been closed for the last week. So, shame they couldn't have left it how it was

Have fun on it next week, if it's open !
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
ahhh. thanks for the info. fingers crossed i can get a video next week of me sliding backwards down it on my arris!

on another note, we've got an off-piste lesson booked for tuesday. do you think that there is likely to be any off-piste left, given that the forecast has little or no snow in it between now and then? i'm sure there are secret stashes and if worst comes to the worst, we'll get a 4 hour on-piste lesson (which never goes amiss) but i would like to finally get professional instruction in the deep arts!
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
grazzenger wrote:
do you think that there is likely to be any off-piste left!

There is always off-piste left. What you can't guarantee is what the off-piste is going to be like.

As a good skiing friend of mine regularly points out, the only thing you can guarantee about off-piste is what you are not going to be skiing.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
RobW, not strictly true, parts of the Vallee Blanche regularly look like poorly pisted bumpy runs.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
I'm always amazed at the Alpine approach ...

"To create a piste from a previously rocky couloir, Méribel Alpina has removed a number of large boulders ..." rolling eyes

The black run that is the couloir making up Glencoe's Fly Paper has rocks throughout its entrance, has a 40 degree pitch and bus-sized boulders in its fall-line to keep you sharp. Nobody would want it any other way either. Madeye-Smiley
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
moffatross, yebbut THE FRENCH have always been the flouncier side of the Auld Alliance. wink

Caps for any of the racism monitors to score me
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
grazzenger, make sure there's no-one below you when you come down on your arris! Toofy Grin I met an Austrian woman a couple of years ago who had skied the Couloir Tournier (Meribel Couloir) and broke both her legs on it when someone above her fell and crashed into her. rolling eyes she was a fabulous skier and was just at the top looking down at the "scene of the crime" when I met her, it obviously brought back bad memories. As Patch, said have fun if it's open.
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
I will demonstrate my skills by cleverly going nowhere near the place in question.

My skills will be seen to best advantage as I time my arrival at the bottom of Folyeres for happy hour at the pub ski lodge.

snowHead
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
fatbob wrote:
moffatross, yebbut THE FRENCH have always been the flouncier side of the Auld Alliance. wink

Caps for any of the racism monitors to score me

not this time, i'm with flouncing in this instance.

Scotland sounds worse and worse. Little sunshine, inconsistent snow, rubbish Hotel - and they keep the bumps and rocks in. At least there will be a nice friendly welcome for us English. Madeye-Smiley
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Did it on the video in January - not bad .... but not great quality .... the video that is !
Not sure it's still available on line - will look and see if I can post it.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Sorry - lost the link .... obviously didn't think it worth saving.

Technology is pretty good .... worked well with 2 cameras I recall for different sections.
Film link texted to mobile pretty quickly after the run.
But you do feel in a bit of a rush to get down the ridge and into the couloir as they say you have only 10 seconds after logging your pass before filming starts ..... but wasn't sure exactly where the filming starts so didnt know where you had to be in the 10 seconds if you know what I mean.... rushing down the ridge is not the best idea !
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
emwmarine, on its day there is no finer skiing or views anywhere in the skiing world than Scotchland. I pity those who limit their horizons to just one country or type of resort.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I have only come down one piste on my arris before but it did cause much amusement. Very short, steep mogul field at the very top of kaprun. Underestimated the size of the bumps at the top, lost 1 ski and slid from top to bottom looking back uphill at my errant ski following me. A salient lesson!
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
I have only come down one piste on my arris before but it did cause much amusement. Very short, steep mogul field at the very top of kaprun. Underestimated the size of the bumps at the top, lost 1 ski and slid from top to bottom looking back uphill at my errant ski following me. A salient lesson!
snow report
fatbob, Very Happy Cool

Last time I skied from saulire to the village, the snow in the 3V was anything but consistent, (glazed at the top with a few base gashing stones and a slush fest at the bottom) but the weather was admittedly, sunny. Scotland has been rather blessed with a lot of sunny weather these last couple of weeks in spite of ewmarine's other observation about the lack of it.

Incidentally, as anything much over 30 degrees normally gets categorised an itineraire, naturide or whatever in the Alps, might this 'new piste' qualify as one of the (if not the) Alp's steepest ?
ski holidays
So how does this slope at 37 degrees compare to some of the backs in Val Thorens, such as Goitschel or roseal in Orelle. Is it a lot steeper/harder??
latest report
emwmarine, It felt a lot steeper than Goitschel the one time that I have skied it, though maybe some of that was down to it being the first run of the holiday.
latest report
emwmarine, It is a steep, fairly narrow couloir ... do not confuse it with a piste
ski holidays
emwmarine,

First you have to get to it

http://youtube.com/v/MgUaZ463iSM
latest report
Mike3000, great video but that's the Grand Couloir, the Meribel coulouir is immediately to the left as you go along the ridge, my memory of it is that it looks far steeper than the GC. There was a sign in January at the top showing the gradients on both and seem to think the Meribel has a steeper section than the GC.
latest report
Mike3000, nice video. I didn't remember it being as steep as it looks in the video though.

Also, the bits under the big gondola are good to do; usually better snow on them too.
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy