Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

How many kids go skiing outside of holidays?

Poster: A snowHead
Leaving aside the rights and wrongs of taking children out of school, if I was to take my 8 year old daughter skiing a couple of weeks before Easter, would she be one of only a few 7/8/9 year olds skiing or do lots of families go in March?

Due to a mahoosive cock-up arranging holiday time at work combined with other family commitments I may not be able to go at Easter as planned, and so I'm looking at going the weekend of 16/17 March instead. Being with other similar age children adds a lot to the holiday for my daughter (she's an only child); I don't want her to end up the only "older" child around and surrounded by loads of pre school age kids.

Any experience would be welcome.
Thanks.
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
mgrolf, we took Ellie out of school when she was 4, for the week before Christmas, there were quite a lot of older children there as well. I am taking Ellie out of school again the week after Easter this year (she is 6 and in yr 2).

Edit to say I meant week after Easter school hols.

Last edited by Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person on Tue 26-02-13 23:06; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
mgrolf, Loads of kids that age its a French holiday
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
the French holidays end on 16th March, when many French families will be driving home. Why not ring one of the family operators such as Esprit or ski Whizz etc and ask them what kind of parties they have booked in?
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I think I mean Snowbizz, sorry. rolling eyes
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
pam w, I'll be picking up the phone tomorrow morning (all being well). Does 16th being the end of French school holidays mean that transfers into resorts will be horrendous that weekend, or is it all over and done with by then?
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
With esprit all the people there will have young kids. Give them a try
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Based on our experiences in January, the answer is lots of families do this.
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
pam w, Loads of French families are there that week trying to avoid all the kids and high prices paradoxically with all their English counterparts reciprocating.
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
yes, that's a busy week because it's the first after the holidays are over and usually a very good week to ski. But still better than the previous week. mgrolf, it will be a busy day for transfers - probably in both directions. Whether it's "horrendous" or not depends on luck, and weather. You will, of course, be hoping for plenty of fresh snow. wink A sun/sun holiday would be a good bet, if you can find one, especially as it gives you the final Saturday transfer day.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
We will be taking our 8 year old daughter to Val d'Isere with Esprit that week.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
We skiied the last week of January one year and there were french children in my children's ESF group but no english kids.. this didn't bother my children. They care more whether they have children of their own sex to ski with irrespective of whether they are french or english. This was in Les Saisies which doesn't tend to have many English families anyway.

I think the week you are thinking of would be ideal in terms of good snow cover but not french holidays - excellent skiing on quiet slopes!. If not go the week after and you will find more English kids as some of the private schools are off from around 23rd March.
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
We skied Les Arcs one January outside of school holidays, we found that the grouped lessons were of a much wider age range and ability of child as they appeared to have made up the classes from those they had booked. Having more able children at that time we found that they weren't stretched and got a bit bored as a result. After that we decided that private lessons for them at any time were the way forwards and now book an instructor between them for a couple of hours twice in the week. It is amazing how this frees up family and general skiing time for the adults as you are not at the behest of always having to be in a certain place at a certain time to pick up and drop off on every day.
snow report
 cran
cran
mgrolf wrote:
Does 16th being the end of French school holidays mean that transfers into resorts will be horrendous that weekend, or is it all over and done with by then?

The traffic will be busy going out of the resorts, so queues down the mountain and at motorway tolls in that direction, but going in to the resorts should be fine.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Quote:

going in to the resorts should be fine.

but still busy - probably the busiest "out of school holiday" week of the year. But if the OP is on a package holiday they'll be at the mercy of the TO for a transfer anyway. For a self-driving family it would still make sense to try not to be driving up to the resort during the busiest hours.
snow conditions
Yes. We take out 9 yr old out every year.

The head teacher, although not condoning what we do actually agrees that kids get more out of an outdoor adventure than (and the following are his words not mine) "sat in a boring math lesson"

I personally don't think a week out here or there will do any damage whatsoever. My dad though the opposite when I was sitting my GCSE's and left me at home for a week to study while they went skiing.

Seriously, who's going to study when their parents are away?

Grades didn't suffer either.
ski holidays
Too many we want to get away from them.
latest report
As a 16 year old most of my holidays have being out of school . A week here and there dont do anything . If your child is willing to learn then they will learn regardless of if the have had a week off its not bad at all . I went mexico in may / june and still passed and got 10 gsces so my learning wasnt effected by going on holiday in school time. He prices are robbery for half term and it makes you realise you can go on two holidays for the price of one in half term
snow conditions
In answer to the question, "to bloody many" Smile
snow conditions
adie, +1 wink
snow conditions
Quote:

most of my holidays have being out of school

Quote:

if the have had a week off its not bad

Quote:

so my learning wasnt effected by going on holiday in school time

good attitude but Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing
ski holidays
we took our kids out of school when they were 11 and 14 to go to Whistler about 10 years ago....nearly half the price then.
other times we had to go in term time, but as we booked a year in advance we always got the free child places, so costs we not too high.
obvious other benefit of going out of holidays was un-crowded piste...many times it was stupid busy (sarre Chevalier was manic)
latest report
On the subject of the main topic - I'd say at that time there will be loads of kids about for your children to ski with, plus children are great at breaching language barriers etc. It'll be fine. On the other side of the discussion...

I'm personally of the opinion that involvement in outdoor activities, especially those such as skiing which are innately adventurous is really beneficial for kids. The education system as it is doesn't cater too well for the variety of learning types that are out there, and if my school experience is anything to go by, kids can quickly get disillusioned with long theoretical lessons. If you enjoy skiing and your kids enjoy skiing, then take them out there and have a blast. It'll do them good and they'll most likely perform better for the break from school - or they'll get hooked and spend the rest of their lives skiing, which I think we can all agree is a good thing Wink
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy