Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Carving - what % weight on your uphill ski?

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
primoz, I used leki clip in ones for years but broke them! So last season was first time back with straps, I am doing something wrong Toofy Grin

pam w, Its all about the skis with most of my videos wink I wonder why wink
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
livetoski, nothing much except you put your straps on from wrong side Very Happy Try to put them from other side (hold strap horizontal and put hand in from bottom up). It's safer and it's easier to ski/push with poles like this, since you can actually use strap for what is meant to be used (no it's not meant just for not losing poles Wink)
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
primoz, You know what you are quite right, I just checked what I am doing and suppose 8 years with Leki clips and before that I always used Scott sword grips (right back to the 80's), the old brain is just not working these days.

So I am ready to ski better, skate better and push better, and if I break my wrist or thumbs again I will know where to send the bill Toofy Grin Toofy Grin
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
livetoski, yeah to primoz not to me snowHead
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
livetoski, you actually have much more chances to break anything the way you are using straps now. With using straps proper way, theres simply no chance to break your thumb... at least not because of strap.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
livetoski, you actually have much more chances to break anything the way you are using straps now. With using straps proper way, theres simply no chance to break your thumb... at least not because of strap.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
primoz,
Quote:

Not sure how that works, off piste I don't use my straps, and on piste tend to just hold my poles with the strap over the top of my hand if they need to come off then they just slip over, if they are gripped inbetween my pole and my hand then less chance of pulling through and therefore more chance of damage Puzzled
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Might be out of date now but ................

http://youcanski.com/en/coaching/inside_ski.htm
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
WOW! Very Happy

What an awesome response - many thanks all!

Apologies - rank intermidiot so got my terminology all wrong. I did indeed mean inside ski. Embarassed

So, I thought I had this licked two days ago on old, well-groomed snow - shoulders religiously facing down the slope, nice roll onto the edges, a little pause as they bit and then a bit of hip to weight the skis nearly equally - although probably more 70/30 than 50/50! The edges kept carving and the extra pressure was spread onto both skis so I didn't skid them out.

However! A small dump that evening meant that yesterday there was heaps of fluffy stuff just trying to catch me out. Weighting much more on the outside edge all day and in many cases, I reverted to smearing the turns on the steep, scary stuff. As the DVDs state - you can't carve all the time!

Thank you all so much for the help. Unfortunately the abysmal internet access here blocks YouTube but I'm really looking forward to seeing the clips when I get back.

The one thing that I have learnt is the speed you need to do it right - I'm not really good enough to do it slowly yet, and need to concentrate on the rolling onto the edges. Is it worth carving slowly?

(PS The lady on the DVD is Amanda Pirie, who instructs in Val D'Isere apparently. I'd give my left leg to carve like her! Very Happy )
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
livetoski, unfortunately that's exactly the opposite of what it really happens when you crash. When you crash, pole is "caught" in your palm (with snow pressing it against your palm) and with strap going on top of your palm just presses pole even more into palm breaking your thumb (and something else too). When you have them on proper way, pole just "falls" out of your palm and hangs on your wrist, without pressuring anywhere so there's virtually no chance to break anything. But then again, it's not my hand, it's not my pole, and it's not my skiing, so I really don't care how someone holds poles and puts strap on.
But if you look around, you will notice everyone (including racers, and not just alpine but also xc, where proper strap technique is even more important), except majority of Dutch and British skiers, use straps the way I described, so there might be that few % of skiers are right about this, while 90+% are wrong for ages Wink
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
primoz, luckily some of us brits have left/right on our straps so gives us a bit of a clue! wink

Wobbler, all still sounds a bit wrong, but if it works..... Very Happy
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Wobbler wrote:
Is it worth carving slowly?
Yes. Always worth skiing slowly providing you are making precise, controlled moves. It's a good way to develop your skills.

PS - In long radius turns don't focus on having your shoulders facing down the hill. It will put you in to a weaker position and make it harder to tip your skis up to the large angles you want to be able to carve on steeper slopes and higher speeds. Let you shoulders follow your skis so that they, and your hips, are much squarer to the skis than they would be in your are always facing down the slope.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
rob@rar, it depends what is "long radius turns" Smile With GS turns (>35m skis) you still have pretty much same technique as with shorter 12 or 15m skis doing GS like turns. But for really long turns (SG/DH style) I agree technique is completely different, and you really don't focus on this all that much (if any at all). But considering this is more like recreational skiing, I would say that 35m skis provide extremely long turns Smile
And yes, I completely agree with skiing slowly. Once you go fast, there's too many other things you need to take care, so looking for proper technique is more or less mission impossible. For going fast, and still skiing proper way, you need to have right technique in your subconsciousness, so you don't even think anymore what to do, but you just do it automatically. If you are not that far yet, then going slow(er) is only way to go. With going slow(er) you can concentrate on proper technique and do things the way you should. Going fast (and on steep), you are more or less fighting to survive, and at such stage, proper technique, or even thinking about it, is somewhere on 10th place on list of priorities at that moment Very Happy
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Been playing around with this carving business over the last couple of weeks when skiing with a BASI. Looking at instructors tracks, they seem to be pretty much 50/50 on each ski, my tracks were definitely more weight on the outside ski. So I played around with the inside leg and pushed the knee further into the hill. This brought back a Warren Smith Academy tip from Rob Stanford which was to get the little toe of the inside ski onto the snow early in a turn. The result was my thighs were more open and both skis were evenly angled and weighted. Much more stable, so now able to carve on smooth black slopes without overloading the outside ski.
I then tried the same position when I was skidding turns on steep and not smooth/narrow slopes to scrub off speed. I invariably used to have a lot of judder on the outside ski through putting too much force into it. With the inside edge at a more productive angle to scrape and move snow, neither ski is at its grip limit and the judder has gone, I'm again more stable and hence go faster - when of course I actually wanted to go slower! Perhaps I will wear that helmet! Ho hum, more fun exploring the technique and adapting it to suit the terrain/conditions/equipment and emotion!
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy