Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Howdy from Welove2ski.com

Poster: A snowHead
Hi snowHead 's, just a friendly message to say hello and reintroduce myself. We (a couple of the folks from Welove2ski) used to post on here a little bit a few years ago, then a hiatus, now back again.

Anyway, just wanted to say we're going to experiment with making a renewed effort in being part of the community over here, if that's OK with all of you. I think we could provide some good advice on resorts, holidays etc where it's needed, and hopefully that means we'll be adding value.

Full disclaimer: yes, that does mean we plan to post some links to our own resources on Welove2ski.com where it's appropriate. Not our intention to spam though, so if you see us posting a link unnecessarily then please do say.

Hope you'll appreciate the up-front approach, we'd rather not be seen as just another ski website posing as a skier, if you know what I mean. wink

Anyone who does read our site will know that we've also undergone a major overhaul in the last 12 months, so any feedback/suggestions on what we're doing well and what we could do better would be very welcome (just send us a PM or email).

If that all sounds groovy, then looking forward to chatting with you!
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Welcome back to snowHead from me.

I view your website often and have found it informative and interesting Smile
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
welove2ski, Your "encyclopedia of world ski resorts" of ski resorts is described as "comprehensive" but only includes just over 100 resorts, in all. Clearly it features many of the "big names" and an eclectic collection of smaller ones but it might be worth making slightly less grandiose claims for it. Apart from individual european resorts (which may well have more skiing than some of the small ones you've included) your list excludes the whole of Japan, Scotland, South America, Australia and New Zealand).

What criteria do you use in deciding what to include, or exclude? It might be a bit more honest to describe the list as "some of the best places to ski in Europe and North America" but to add that there are plenty of others not on the list which are still well worth seeking out.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
I like the "we love to ski" website. However I would suggest putting the resorts on a drop down list from the top left tab to make them more accessible. Then the page you read could be dedicated to recent articles etc.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Hi guys, thanks for the feedback.

Avago, thanks for the kind words and happy to be here. Smile

pam w, completely see what you're saying. You may remember that we used to have some coverage of China, Japan and NZ - but with limited resources these have yet to be updated and moved to the newest iteration of the website. Rest assured that it's a work in progress - in a perfect world we'd have full coverage of the southern hemisphere. Scotland, too, is somewhere we desperately need to cover.

In terms of how we decide, it's inevitably driven by the resorts that have successful businesses built on British tourism. And that means the Alps, for the most part. Advertising is the sole revenue stream for Welove2ski, and we have no choice but to prioritise ski areas with businesses willing to market themselves to Brits. It's free market economics, pure and simple.

I get your concerns over the use of the word 'encyclopedia', too. We have to have some license to blow our own horn, don't you think? Little Angel

snowymum, that's a straight up excellent idea, and exactly the kind of input we came to snowHead for! I've added exactly that functionality, as per your request. How's that for customer service? wink

Would welcome anymore input, keep it coming guys!
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Is it true that welove2ski.com is also known as welove2skianywherebutscotland.com?
The Scottish flag seems to be absent from this European-American snow report!

http://welove2ski.com/snow-report-february-25-2013

Comprehensive info. on today's Scottish snow conditions - the best for years!
http://www.winterhighland.info/
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Comedy Goldsmith, for the same reasons mentioned to pam w we've found it difficult to allocate the resources required to do Scotland justice. Better to leave it than to cover it in patches, we've always thought. But you raise some valid points, and we're open to ideas. Have spoken to the team and it's something we're going to look at in the near future, you have my word. Smile
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
welove2ski, trust me, this is a bit tongue in cheek.

Sending emails out giving base layer and keeping warm advice as we are about to head into March is missing the boat by about 3 months IMHO.

wink
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Quote:
... we've found it difficult to allocate the resources required to do Scotland justice.

AKA "the dog ate my homework, Sir"

welove2ski, bet your 'editorial conferences' are great - "come on, someone must want to go to Glenshee" Laughing
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads

welove2ski the Flypaper. Today 27 February (photo: GlencoeMountain)

" ... it's something we're going to look at in the near future, you have my word."

welove2ski, my word, I'm flattered that a humble scribble can be of such influence!

snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
bladeskier, hehe - to take that to its logical conclusion, do you suggest we stop publishing anything when the season is over as well? We'd certainly all have more holiday time... wink

Bode Swiller, can you imagine how irate the Scottish skiing community would be if we just covered Glenshee, and didn't do Glencoe/Nevis Range/Lecht/Cairngorm? Covering five resorts fully is a big job, and we're still only scratching the surface of what the Alps has to offer. Some content on skiing in Scotland is in the works though, I promise you.

Of course, if you'd like to write resort reports for all five - without a budget - you'd be very welcome... wink
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Comedy Goldsmith, don't mention it. Already implemented snowymum's suggestion straight away, as you may have seen. Getting input from you guys is a large part of the reason we wanted to come back on snowHead in the first place - you're the kind of people we want using our site after all!
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
bladeskier wrote:
welove2ski, trust me, this is a bit tongue in cheek.

Sending emails out giving base layer and keeping warm advice as we are about to head into March is missing the boat by about 3 months IMHO.

wink

Laughing yup....just had one of those wink
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
welove2ski, Far too many tweets, take a lesson from Iain Martin at Skipedia. Less is more I would suggest.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Love the website, though I preferred the old format, was it that there were bigger photos on the main page? The website just looked better. Snow updates are great as are the tips for given resorts. Bring back the hierarchical list of ski resorts though and also encourage users to post their own comments on resorts. Cover more resorts if possible. Thanks!

I should also add that I love reading new reports about resorts I hadn't previously heard of.
ski holidays
just a note but the 'we love/we hate' summary is missing on your Val d'Isere resort summary...

Out of interest are the reports created by yourselves or taken from elsewhere? Reason for the question was the use of the term 'cableway' which was in one of the Hate lists for a resort i looked at.

The size of the signup to the mail list if massively out of scale with the rest of the content on the page....its HUUUUUUGE snowHead
ski holidays
Boredsurfing, You're always welcome to unfollow us or add us to a separate list wink I think we average about 10 tweets a day, which we think is pretty balanced. We do have quite a few more followers than Skipedia, which suggests we're doing something right... Razz

8611, Thanks, I'm glad you like the site and the snow reports! The old site was certainly a different beast, but after four years it had become quite disorganised so we had to change. We're always looking to update the aesthetics though, so perhaps you'll like it more on the next go round. Design is a very subjective thing... What do you mean by 'the hierarchical list of ski resorts'?

skinutter, Great spot, thank you. We'll get on that right away - must have slipped through the net. To answer your question, yes - every single resort report was written in house. Terminology is a funny thing though. We generally try to use the measurements/terms of the country the resort is in when in doubt. Which is the resort that you were referring to?

And yeah, that signup form is pretty large. We're just experimenting with it at the moment to see if it increases subscriptions. Huge does tend to mean it gets noticed...
snow report
I once went to a talk my a social media guru, he reckoned a good frequency was to tweet once daily, FB update once weekly and to blog once monthly. Since I subscribe to none of these social media areas it was lost on me Laughing
snow report
Megamum, Interesting. Surely you'd prefer it if your favourite website were updated more than once a month? wink
snow conditions
welove2ski, So you've admitted you're just in it for the ad money. What can we expect from you in terms of contribution to stoke or gossip on sHs? How about some tales out of school about long defunct tour ops or other interesting gossip from your vast experience?

I'm glad I don't follow you on twitter - 10+ tweets a day is just needy for any commercial business (or indeed a private individual) unless your stock in trade is current affairs commentary.
latest report
fatbob, That seems a little hateful - have I done something to offend you? I promise you that money isn't the only motivator, but surely you'd agree it makes sense for a business to make decisions that will allow it to continue as a business?
ski holidays
fatbob, I think on twitter it largely depends on how many people you follow. If you only follow a few then yes - 10 tweets seems like over the top, if you follow loads of people then you might not see any of those 10 tweets. So it is all down to the person I guess... rolling eyes
ski holidays
Megamum wrote:
I once went to a talk my a social media guru, he reckoned a good frequency was to tweet once daily, FB update once weekly and to blog once monthly.

Bet that was quite a while ago then wink the frequency should be much more than that. Tweet to plug your blog & tweet it several times with different wording. Ask a question to engage the reader & get a response
ski holidays
Dia_FindTransfers, yup, I'd agree with that.
latest report
welove2ski wrote:
fatbob, That seems a little hateful - have I done something to offend you? I promise you that money isn't the only motivator, but surely you'd agree it makes sense for a business to make decisions that will allow it to continue as a business?

I wasn't trying to be hateful but at the moment you've not exactly convinced me you are any different from your common or garden link spammer. In fact your wording around decision to re-engage smacks of a carefully considered business decision - you obviously haven't been contributing to this community for a while despite being well aware of it. I don't doubt you've got heaps to contribute but if all you're going to do is point me to your website to read it then that doesn't feel very valuable to me. I guess time will tell.

There is nothing wrong with whatever you do to make money but in the light of some fluff boasts you've made, defending your decision to be less than encyclopaedic about things doesn't inspire confidence that I'm going to get real objective coverage from your editorial. It's horses for courses, you're "proper" ski journos but I get more value out of irreverent TRs posted here or on TGR with a greater honesty of opinion - check the recent Gulmarg TR here for an example. Plus here, to admin's great credit we get to dick around and insult the "industry" and call it out on cowdoo and over hyping not suck its fundmentals like for instance certain small rodenty cyberspace occupied by tumbleweed.
ski holidays
Quote:

Plus here, to admin's great credit we get to dick around and insult the "industry" and call it out on cowdoo and over hyping not suck its fundmentals like for instance certain small rodenty cyberspace occupied by tumbleweed.

Quoted, just because.
latest report
tiffin, So I can't withdraw the credit if he's a naughty boy. Damn.
snow report
fatbob, More because I liked your turn of phrase, but your reason is fun as well Smile
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Too many tweets at the same
time end up as a block and thus easily ignored!
Quote:
Welove2ski ‏@welove2ski
How to Ski Tutorials for Snow-Loving Folks - http://wl2s.co/WlQK56 #skiing
Expand
4 hrs Welove2ski ‏@welove2ski
Great post from @TetonGravity: http://wl2s.co/WvEwXR - 5 Awesome Apres Skiing Bars in North America. Hooray for Garf's in Vail - love it!
Expand
5 hrs Welove2ski ‏@welove2ski
Awesome skiing: http://wl2s.co/15VD2x4 - Watch the latest stage of the @FreerideWTour at @KirkwoodMtn. Astonishing stuff.
Expand Reply Retweet Favorite More
5 hrs Welove2ski ‏@welove2ski
Where to Ski: An Encyclopaedia of the World’s Ski Resorts - http://wl2s.co/WlQEKY #skiing
Expand
6 hrs Welove2ski ‏@welove2ski
Hot off the press: http://wl2s.co/Ww6D9m - 6 Reasons Why Val Thorens is the New Gourmet Capital of the Alps #skiing
snow conditions
Boredsurfing, if you aren't following many people - as Dia_FindTransfers pointed out - then I understand that 4/5 tweets over 2+ hours would represent a block. But you have to understand we're trying to reach 7k followers, and people only check their feeds for small segments of each day. If you're not active in that period, they don't see you. Which is why most successful websites will do exactly what cathy says - reword the same tweet multiple times (because it will be seen by different people each time).

fatbob, I can see I'm unlikely to win you over here. That's OK though - if snowHead 's or Teton works best for you when researching a ski holiday, that's great news. We can't be all things to all people, and you seem to prefer your info when it's crowdsourced. Other people prefer to arm themselves with the opinions of so-called 'experts' (even if all that means is they've been to a lot of different resorts) - and that's OK too, right?
snow report
Welove2ski, As someone who used to check your website on a regular basis, there are a few aspects that I miss in the updated site. Firstly I would like to see a return of the "snogs". They provided local knowledge and up to date conditions on the major resorts.
You have also dropped sections like, travel to the resort, which very useful and your guide to the mountains seems ti include less information.
ski holidays
Quote:

You have also dropped sections like, travel to the resort

jjbreen, welcome to snowheads. snowHead The resorts' own websites are a very good source of this sort of information and much more besides (links to accommodation providers, how to buy lift passes online etc etc etc. ) They are not going to tell you that conditions are rubbish but if you check the lists of which pistes are open you will get a good idea! It's not realistic for a generic site to keep this information on a great list of resorts.

And don't forget, the resorts features on welove2ski are, as stated above, just the ones that British TOs go to and British businesses are most interested in. There are plenty of others. wink
ski holidays
welove2ski wrote:
Boredsurfing, You're always welcome to unfollow us .

Done. Thanks
snow conditions
welove2ski, what a super picture you tweeted of Sir Patrick Stewart on a chair lift! Wonder where he was skiing...
snow conditions
welove2ski, I'm finding the discussion about your tweeting quite interesting. Over the past couple of weeks you seem to have taken to tweeting the same thing 3 or 4 times, which is really frustrating. I'd assumed something had gone awry with some automated tweet feed from the website and that it would be fixed soon. I'm gathering from this thread that this repeating yourself is on purpose?

I follow a lot of people and a few organisations, but still find it irritating when my twitter feed is cluttered up by the same tweet several times. Are you finding posting multiple copies of the same post is increasing the traffic on your website? How is it affecting the number of followers you have on twitter. I'm currently 50/50 on whether to unfollow you, based on the repetitive tweets. I don't mind how often you tweet, so long as it's new and interesting information each time. Am I so far in the minority on this that you're happy to lose me as a twitter follower?

This isn't meant to be antagonistic - I'm genuinely interested. I know that "social media experts" are only too happy to tell you things like "tweet it several times with different wording" but does this actually have a positive effect on your business?
ski holidays
welove2ski, to be fair I'm probably not your std target punter and I do enjoy what you write in trad media. I just find on the web that blogs etc are better if they aren't up the harris of advertisers. Mind you ski press has never been that objective so I might be expecting the moon on a stick.
ski holidays
sugarmoma666, you are not alone. I very quickly unfollow anyone who tweets the same content multiple times. I follow many twitter accounts and see multiple tweets as a waste of my time – they're just clogging up my already full stream. And don't get me started on people whose tweets primarily consist of just links...

I'm with fatbob on this. If welove2ski contributes to the snowHeads community by posting useful/interesting/amusing content right here on snowHeads, then great and welcome! But if all they're going to do is post abstracts with links to their site for the full content, then I see that as spam and I'll make use of the 'ignore' function.
ski holidays
I too have noticed a change in the pattern of welove2ski's tweets recently, and found it annoying. Particularly for me as the tweets seem to be highlighting old content. It's meant I now pay very scant attention to them as the signal to noise ratio is much worse than before, and so I expect I'm missing stuff that is genuinely timely and interesting. Oh well.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy