Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Lift queues and Central European Culture

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
From this thread, it appears that a few people get irritated about European lift queues.
http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=98214

Not trying to justify which method of queuing is right - it is the way it is in each country and no one is going to change that over night. Probably better to understand it, accept it and work the system than whine on or run into problems with the locals.

Queuing is a very British thing, we are experts at it.
http://memebake.blogspot.co.at/2008/06/watching-english.html

Brits expect everyone to take their place and keep order without physical contact, breaches of the rules are generally dealt with verbally. Should light physical contact occur it's the done thing to apologise immediately. Virtually everyone in England speaks English and understands the rules so this isn't normally a problem.

Our European neighbours tend not to adhere to such strict rules when queuing. In central Europe working your way to the front of a queue is seen more as an art than a rude act. If someone leaves a space in front of them it normally means "I'm generally not that fussed about my place in the queue". As people from many countries with many different dialects frequent ski resorts, light physical contact is often used to communicate. A light physical nudge is equivalent to "excuse me may I get past" in English.

Of course when these two cultures come togther problems can arise.

Last edited by Poster: A snowHead on Tue 26-02-13 16:12; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Quote:

A light physical nudge is equivalent to "excuse me may I get past" in English.

An an elbow in the ribs is equivalent to "nein" in German. wink
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
DB wrote:
Queuing is a very British thing, we are experts at it. http://memebake.blogspot.co.at/2008/06/watching-english.html

Laughing Laughing
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
laundryman,

That's how it escalates, typical senario ......

Englishman leaves space in front (i.e. does not shuffle forward every time the person in front of him moves forward)

Central European thinks - OK so he isn't too bothered about his place in the queue, I'll give him a nudge and see if he moves forward or lets me by.

Englishman - gets annoyed at central European for being impatient and not sticking to the UK protocol on British queuing. Englishman then gives Central European sharp dig in the ribs.

Hell breaks out.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
If your paying €47 a day for a lift pass i'd want to get to the front of the line (and do) regardless of any cultural differences Very Happy
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Central European culture is one thing. Scottish culture is another.

There's a famous story of the liftie at the White Lady t-bar on Cairngorm who took an axe to the skis of a queue-jumper. Not sure if he chopped them to matching lengths.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
stanton wrote:
If your paying €47 a day for a lift pass i'd want to get to the front of the line (and do) regardless of any cultural differences Very Happy

If you're (short for "you are") paying €47 for a lift pass, I'd not want someone hanging about in front of me holding me up while everyone gets further forward in the queue. I'd nudge him and give him a chance to keep up with the queue or let me get past.
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
always jump the queues, especially if idiots wait until the barriers to read the map/wait for mates

also, always take Ski's off in long queues and then push to the front, I paid to Ski, not wait for incompetent idiots to faff.

Last edited by After all it is free Go on u know u want to! on Tue 26-02-13 16:49; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Britons become strangely agitated at European queuing culture but fail to notice that British culture has a total disrespect for queuing when drinks are being ordered at most inner city bars.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Quote:

Britons become strangely agitated at European queuing culture

The funny thing is you are in Central Europe "When in Rome" you want to que in an orderly fashion do so at British ski resorts Laughing Laughing
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
To be honest, I normally don't experience such polite English way of queuing when waiting for lifts down here Wink Most of English people skiing in Austria, Switzerland or Italy, are very well adapted to our way of queuing, and are most of time worse then worse possible local Wink And that's why we love you so much on ski places down here Wink
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
you need to learn "I don't understand" is as many languages as possible!
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Normally just a nasty look speaks for itself Very Happy
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I did take exception to the fat German slob elbowing my daughter out of the way in St Anton, I think I might have mentioned the war Evil or Very Mad
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy