Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Les Menuires by car at weekends: avoiding delays

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Am driving to Les Menuires this weekend (Sat Mar 2nd), staying the night before near Chambéry. Saturday is rated as a "black" day on Bison Futé (i.e. extremely difficult). Anyone got any advice on how early I need to be through Moutiers to avoid serious jams? My other half is rubbish at getting up early, but might be persuaded to if the alternative is worse!

And coming back, (Sat 9th - only an "orange" day = "difficult", on a grading that goes green-orange-red-black), we currently plan to ski in the morning, then leave lunchtime / early afternoon, to get as far as Lyons early evening. Is that a dumb thing to do? I know that on the worst days, the advice is only to go very early or very late, but this is just a relatively normal Saturday.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Start of Paris half-term, but most will drive down Friday evening, or set off on Saturday morning. I would think that if you are at Moutiers by 8 or 9 in the morning, you'll probably be fine. That said, the traffic around Moutiers can change very quickly on Saturdays, from clear, to snarled, to clear again, all within an hour
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Coming back your timing seems good.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Hmm. Driving up, I'd aim either to be right up in Les Menuires by 10 am (earlier would be better), equipped to ski from your car if you can't get into your accommodation OR leave it till later, and aim to arrive after 6 pm. Coming back, your idea is fine, but I'd ski until about 4 pm. Still plenty of time to get down to Lyon area for the night, you get a longer ski on a nice quiet transfer day and traffic will be lighter. It's not that normal a Saturday, the roads down will be pretty busy - even if there's no snow, which could change everything. On any Saturday in the season the "leave very early or very late" advice holds good. You've booked your hotel in Chambery, have you?
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Yes - hotel booked in Chambery. Did have a booking in an Ibis, but thought I might do better and found a last minute offer last weekend for room in the chateau at Challes-les-Eaux, for only marginally more than the Ibis (at least for the room....suspect the restaurant will blow the budget, but hopefully be in a different league from the food offering in the Ibis)
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Another thread on here (which I cant now find) talks about an alternative route via Annecy to Albertville, avoiding traffic around Lyon, Chambery etc. how does that work - do you follow the A40 till it meets the A41 near St Julien or can you cut down through Frangy ?
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
mikeh wrote:
Another thread on here (which I cant now find) talks about an alternative route via Annecy to Albertville, avoiding traffic around Lyon, Chambery etc. how does that work - do you follow the A40 till it meets the A41 near St Julien or can you cut down through Frangy ?

I guess you mean coming from the UK or North of France. In that case, you can avoid both Lyon and Chambery by leaving the A6 near Macon and heading towards Geneva, from towards Annecy, then follow the N road to Albertville (single lane raod most of the way). Whether this is any quicker depends hugely on traffic conditions. As for cutting through Frangy, I can't imagine that would be quick, on those kind of roads
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
I always find going via Annecy you lose too much time getting from one side of Annecy to the other. Then its slow alongside the lake.

I prefer the D1504 route - via Amberieu and Belley - to Chambery. Even when not the quickest it does have by far the best scenery of all the routes into the Tarentaise.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy