Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

ESF Grand Ski Les Coches...off-piste ski hire

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Have arranged a cheeky short break in Les Coches Paradaski 10th - 14th March. Am travelling alone thus thought I would get some off-piste/all-mountain training. ESF have an All Mountain group lesson that may suit. So do Evolution2 but it is more expensive. Any views? I am a competent piste skier with 20 weeks under my aging belt.

http://school.esf-montchavinlescoches.com/adultes-et-ados/grand-ski-hors-pistes-la-plagne-paradiski/

Would wish to hire the appropriate skis for the lessons. Any ideas on hire shops in Les Coches who rent off piste skiis?
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
hawkesbaynz, if you can make it up to La Plagne centre in the morning, consider Oxygene too. Solid reputation and they'll teach you some of the mountain craft skills you'll need if you're just getting into off-piste. Not sure how prices compare though, so I'll leave that up to you.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Personally I would go with E2.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
hawkesbaynz, go with whoever! That's still French holidays so most instructors will be tied up with childrens classes so don't be shocked if there aren't adult off-piste classes which theere won't be unless they definitely have the quorum.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Hi,

Have done the class you mention with ESF in Les Coches a few times over different years......the instructors are very good.......

Classes I have done were mornings only ...all off piste around Les Coches.........culminating in descents on North Face of Bellecote Glacier and Le Friolin.

There is a bit of hiking to get to the entries but worth it for the experience.

Have just returned from there and did this class just after several days dumps and glacier sector had just opened again so conditions were fantastic.

Some of the off piste areas around there are very accessible so can get tracked out quickly sometimes but generally ESF guys always manage to find some good snow.

The mornings are strenuous so take energy bars and drinks. One year we started with 8 in the group and by Friday were were down to 3....with people dropping out for various reasons, fitness and challenging terrain for some.

My wife wanted to do this class , she has done this in previous years but they were fully subscribed.....8 people max....so she did the level 3 instead...which she loved ....visiting some of the terrain the Grand Ski group visited but with a slightly less demanding slant.

Ski Republic will rent you off piste orientated skis they are in the village square.

Agree with the other poster that mentions the French Holidays.......check to see the class is actually running.......

Enjoy
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
kmurray, welcome to SHs. snowHead Very useful first post - those classes sound excellent though well beyond me!
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Anyway booked with ESF and getting some skis from La Randonee Sport Sarl via Alpinsports and Snowhead's discount. Alpinsports tell me that they have off-pistes skis available.

Little anxious that I will be up to the standard/fitness. Will report back Laughing
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Back from the trip and can report back that Le Grand Ski was really worthwhile. Every morning for five days from 8.55 to 12.30 ish with a mid- afternoon on the Thurs as we did the North Face of Bellecote. I have not done the fifth day as had to return to UK. Shame as the off-piste conditions have really improved with fresh coating of powder. Earlier in the week a lot of harder icy snow. Guide always found some new stuff.

Although the ESF website appeared to say I had an English session all the participants were French. It is the last week of French Hols and they were parents with kids in ski school. I speak no French and only got a few sentences of the plan after much conversing in French. Told that the ESF World Ski was in English but this was not off-piste. However a French chap said there was little instruction. One of the guys has done it since 1997 so I can report that it was a guided week.

Only one drop out from the eight of us when three guys collided on piste after a difficult mountainside Descent. One of those compression accidents on a fast schuss plateauing out but they slid into each other. Ironic as it was on an easy run. Bruised hips I believe.

Chalet hosts had used Evolution 2 and were very happy with instruction in English

Had a pair of Dynastar Cham 87s which were great for the mixed conditions although took a day to get used to. Everyone had similar all-mountain ski except a 15yr old lad who skied really well on carvers! Instructor had Volkl Kendos

All in a great week. Think if you were already proficient it would have been a great way to get some guided off-piste without breaking the bank. Even better if with a mate as I did miss the company/laughs on the lifts.
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
hawkesbaynz, very useful report, thanks. Glad it was worthwhile, though I can imagine you felt a bit left out if nearly all the chat was in French.
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
I've very fond memories of lesson in Les Coches. It was our second skiing holiday, second week of lessons but our third week on snow. We were a right old mixed group of, I think, ten. Mostly Brits but I remember some Dutch girls and one woman who was returning to skiing without a knee cap after wrecking her legs on a concrete sign board.

Somehow the group really gelled, perhaps because half of us were keen dancers and already understood dynamic balance. One guy was an ex-ballet dancer and by the end of the week was skiing backwards on one leg! On our second day the instructor had us following him off piste and through the trees - and I don't mean just off the edge of the piste. Later on there were many more excursions. Lessons were usually in the morning but on the 6th day (we were expecting 5) our instructor took us off all around La Plagne for the whole day at no extra cost. It was a fantastic week, memorable and very inspiring - one of the best.

They were group lessons with ESF too. The lowest of the low in many peole's eyes - but not mine. Sadly, I can't remember the instructor's name - Jean-Paul or Jean-Pierre Sombody.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy