Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Insurance company warns snowboarders to cover injury risks

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Churchill Insurance has issued a news release warning snowboarders of the accident risks specific to the sport. Based on their claims history they give the following 'top five' injuries associated with boarding:
Quote:

1. Broken/fractured wrists
2. Broken thumbs
3. Dislocated/broken shoulder
4. Broken arms/legs
5. Head injuries

The advice given is essentially straightforward - to ensure that travel insurance includes wintersports cover.

This report from Easier.com goes into more detail.

For some reason, Churchill make special mention of snowblading as a special risk - "Metre long ‘skis’ are used without poles, enabling snowbladers to go much faster and take greater risks." - but make no mention of the risks of off-piste skiing or snowboarding (or blading for that matter), which should be the key concern of anyone buying insurance if they've any intention of straying from the piste boundaries.

Any other comments on this Churchillian statement?
Does Churchill wintersports insurance provide off-piste cover as standard?

Last edited by Poster: A snowHead on Tue 1-11-05 9:05; edited 1 time in total
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I think there should be seperate premiums for Snowboarders and skiers.

Nowadays snowborders claims are rising above Skiers and for the more serious long term injuries requiring expensive medical treatment.

Lower premiums for Skiers & Telemarkers

Much higher premiums for Snowboarders

Very Happy
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
stanton wrote:
I think there should be seperate premiums for Snowboarders and skiers.

Nowadays snowborders claims are rising above Skiers and for the more serious long term injuries requiring expensive medical treatment.

Lower premiums for Skiers & Telemarkers

Much higher premiums for Snowboarders

Very Happy

and how about a no-claims bonus? I have made one claim in 20+ years of buying Wintersports insurance.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
boredsurfin, why not - I can get a refund on my contents insurance if I don't make a claim. Suggest it to your insurer and see what they say.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I am in disagreement with the 'snowblader' thing.... that is what I enjoy doing and they are completely wrong! The thing about shorter bits of wood is that you CANT go as fast. What they do enable is additional manoeverability (particularly for those who are not advanced). Fair enough you will find alot of people on 'blades' in the snowpark, but that has nothing to do with going fast. Churchill are quite simply wrong with the speed statement.... if they were right, why are downhill racers not using meter long skis?!
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
I agree, buns. It's utter nonsense. The implication of Churchill's statement is that bladers go faster, not only because their skis are shorter but also because they don't use poles.

To quote Churchill's earlier statement "... we shall fight [misleading insurance companies*] on the beaches, we shall fight on the landing grounds, we shall fight in the fields and in the streets, we shall fight in the hills; we shall never surrender ..."

[* Actually he was referring to the army of the Third Reich. Sorry, Sir Winston]
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Interestingly snowcard.co.uk do charge slightly higher premiums for snowboarders who go off piste, skiing and snowboarding are both covered by their level 3 insurance but whilst that also covers off piste skiing with or without a guide for skiers, boarders have to upgrade to level4 in order to be able to go off piste
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Here's another insurance puff: this one published on the europinions-finance site. Once again, there's a valuable reminder to be properly covered - we're told this time that it costs £4000 to fix a broken leg in France, against £20,000 in the USA. [can you get Air Miles when paying these bills?]

But again ... nothing about the critical importance of off-piste cover if you're likely to stray from the piste (and who isn't?)
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy