Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Alternative to Chamonix for 2014

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Just returned from my 3rd trip to Chamonix, my 2nd with the kids. Last year we put the kids in ski school in Savoy at the foot of Brevent, this year we decided that Le Tour would be better suited to them which it was but we found the terrain there a little limited for the adults to spend a whole week at, so we're now looking for an alternative resort for next year. The criteria being that it should be within driving distance in one day from the Channel Tunnel and have enough varied runs to entertain both early teens skiers and old fart snowboarders, and finally be reasonably priced once we arrive. I have previously been to Morzine/Avoriaz and Val Thorens but at the moment I am leaning towards Montgenevre.

A little tip for anyone going to Chamonix with kids.... We were a mixed group of two dads and three kids, despite not being related we managed to get a family pass package costing €703 for the group for 6 days including insurance, by comparison if both dads had purchased the passes for himself and his kids individually the total for the group would have been €1200 + we also saved the cost of a round of drinks by re-charging the previous years passes.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Grand Massif?
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Thanks for that, would Flaine be the destination of choice?
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Grand Massif is a great choice for a family holiday. I would have a look at Les Carroz and Samoens as well if you are after a mountain village feel. Flaine is a great resort but the centre is not that pretty. Although the new areas are built in 'chalet-style'. Les Carroz has a big, new swimming complex if it is something you would use.. The ski area is fantastic and it has the 2nd best snow record in the Alps (or so I've been told Smile )
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Flaine is not exactly reasonably priced, but no more unreasonable than Chamonix, I suppose.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Good options, thanks, I'll be checking them all out.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Mm interesting - made me think - if you are looking for somewhere cheaper- how about Austria - just done a via Michelin search and Skiwelt is only about 60 miles more than montgenevre - 680 rather than 620 miles from Calais - suppose that is because Montgenevre is quite far south and a long way further on than Chamonix, Flaine, Morzine etc. You also save on motorway tolls going to Austria.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Les Contamines would be a good option
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Despite all pluses of Chamonix could barely think of a worse place for mixed group including kids. Try anywhere else but I concur with suggestion of Grand Massif / Flaine but would recommend staying in Flaine as you will want to do Gers bowl and you'll never get there and back from Les Carroz and in time to pick up kids from ski-school
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Thanks everyone, I'll Be following up every suggestion and may reveal all my findings. ATM Chamonix is still the leading option but that may change once I've crunched down all the info.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
I would be in favor of Megeve or Verbier, Haute-Nendaz.

I was just at both, plenty of varied skiing. My 10 and 11 year old ski blacks and double blacks all day long, and there just wasn't enough of that at Megeve - St. Gervais...if you wanted to save lodging costs, consider St. Nicolas Veroce, well suited for kids, and close to the Mt. Joli area, and bit cheaper.

Also, around Verbier, consider Nendaz or La Tzoumaz if with a mixed group.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
There is no alternative, no where else will you see such a wonderful mix of egos, consumerism, bullshite and nature at it's utter best!
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy