Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Scottish Eurotest

Poster: A snowHead
Happening this Tuesday on the White Lady at Cairngorm with Alain Baxter one of the openers - weather looking great and The Lady (like the rest of the hill) in superb condition Very Happy snowHead

From the Cairngorm Facebook page:

Quote:
On Tuesday there is a Euro speed test on the White Lady. This FIS standard event is for 20 hopefuls who have to complete a GS against a time set by Alain Baxter and 2 other top racers. This event is for ski instructors who want to be top of their game ... should be a good spectacle and a chance to see some top skiers on Cairngorm

Am hoping to catch the action if not working Toofy Grin
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Would love to see that, but will be working. Someone film it please!
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
shoogly wrote:
Would love to see that, but will be working. Someone film it please!
Ditto, would like to see the openers and some of the candidates on video.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
+1
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Don't forget to be nice to the French openers wink
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
stewart woodward, hang on while I reload . . . . Pull!
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
I'll be on the hill so will take a camera and see what I can do but as I say if I'm teaching will miss it Sad

Fingers crossed not tho Wink
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Quote:
BASI OFFICE CLOSED - Tuesday 26th Feb 2013

All office staff will be on CairnGorm Mountain tomorrow to assist with the Euro Test race and the BASI office will remain closed all day.

Normal opening times will resume on Wednesday 27th Feb.

Many thanks
BASI M&M

Good they'll all be seeing how great conditions are at the moment!
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
So ended up with a full day of work but managed to snap a few pics of the course on the way up.

Here's the latest Cairngorm video from YouTube though with some footage of the racers included:

http://youtube.com/v/4tmEll3iXM8&feature=player_embedded

Word is nobody passed, apparently a pretty blistering time was set by the openers including Alain!
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Some piccies:

ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
There was an item on BBC Reporting Scotland this evening. Brilliant blue sky and fantastic looking snow (how often do you see the White Lady filled in from side to side and capable of hosting a GS race?). I've no idea what the standard of racing was like as there wasn't any indication of who made it or how narrowly or widely others missed the mark.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
I caught the tail end of it after working...one of he openers was definitely going as fast as poss. Conditions were awesome, grippy snow, no bumps etc. one dude was a few tenths off. Good effort I thought as it was a steep and technical test.....
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
BBC video report inc a few shots of the racers.....

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-21591018
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
ccl, I heard nobody passed
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
^ A few were very close.

Its great to see this event being held on Scottish snow.
For so many reasons it is so important that the BRITISH association of ski instructors continue to run events & courses on UK snow.

Seems that Alain Baxter must still be rapid : set a solid opening time on his home mountain.
He was on the news saying that race conditions on the White Lady were better than Val D'Isere last week wink
snow report
Haggis_Trap, why is it so important that a Eurotest gets run in Scotland? only seems important to those directly connected to Scottish skiing... How many actually entered? I would guess around 20 or so... at one point it was going to be cancelled through lack of numbers and was delayed due to poor conditions.
latest report
Quote:
why is it so important that a Eurotest gets run in Scotland?

Many reasons.

1. BASI are an organisation representing UK instructors.
2. As soon as BASI run all their courses in the alps then we might as well sign up for the Austrian / Italian / Norwegian systems.
3. Running courses in the UK makes BASI more accessible and cheaper to many UK skiers and aspiring instructors.
4. Showing that we are capable of running a fair Euro Test, in good conditions, also gives us respect from the alpine nations that BASI is a world class organisation.
5. Historically BASIs origins are based in Aviemore. The snow in Scotland can be good enough to run high level courses / tests and there is no reason why this should not continue.

Quote:
only seems important to those directly connected to Scottish skiing...

Lots of people ski in Scotland. Typically 200-300K lift passes are sold each winter.
Edinburgh has more BASI members than any other UK city (including London).

Quote:
I would guess around 20 or so...

Not the largest every euro-test.
But not the smallest either.

Quote:
at one point it was going to be cancelled through lack of numbers and was delayed due to poor conditions.

It was never delayed to due to lack of numbers. The original date in January was moved due to poor snow 3 weeks before the event (the snow actually returned before the scheduled date!) Remember that a proper race under FIS regulations requires very good snow and weather conditions! (Euro tests held in the alps are frequently cancelled too). Scottish conditions have always been variable. This has been a challenge for BASI since the 1960s!

Ski Mottaret : Do you have a problem with BASI running events in the UK? I am fairly amused by your arrogant southern view point that Scotland is some remote outpost and that its no longer important to run course / tests on snow within the UK.
snow conditions
Quote:

I am fairly amused by your arrogant southern view point that Scotland is some remote outpost and that its no longer important to run course / tests on snow within the UK.

rolling eyes I ask a valid question soley about running ET's in Scotland, never said that BASI shouldn't run courses there.. Not sure that makes me an "Arrogant Southerner" and I too am fairly amused at your Scotish chip on your shoulder response...FYI I'm not English wink
ski holidays
skimottaret,

I am a little unsure if this is the correct phraseology (I am, alas, not 14 anymore) but it is my belief that you have just been "BURNED". Twisted Evil
ski holidays
skimottaret wrote:
Quote:

I am fairly amused by your arrogant southern view point that Scotland is some remote outpost and that its no longer important to run course / tests on snow within the UK.

rolling eyes I ask a valid question soley about running ET's in Scotland, never said that BASI shouldn't run courses there.. Not sure that makes me an "Arrogant Southerner" and I too am fairly amused at your Scotish chip on your shoulder response...FYI I'm not English wink

And you got a valid answer....
Your nationality is irrelevant - BASI are a UK based organisation.
Last time I checked that includes Eng, Scot, Wales and NI....
ski holidays
Texas? wink

Although I've never skied in Scotland and presumably contributed towards the costs (through my daughter's subs which I pay) I thought it looked tremendous, wonderful conditions. A good advert for Scottish skiing.
snow report
Haggis_Trap, You make some good valid points spoiled by your "arrogant southerner" comment so I am out of this debate...
latest report
A few of the entrants did travel from south of the border: London for a couple of guys I spoke to and Derbyshire for another. At least one even made the trip from France, so I wouldn't say it was an event just for locals. I think settled weather, a late closing date (last Friday) and low number of participants may have encouraged some these guys to make the trip at short notice. I've heard of canditates travelling far from their home ski area to attend tests, e.g in Germany, Austria or Italy, so coming to Scotland under these conditions wouldn't have been any more difficult. Knowing far in advance that it will definetely run is more of an issue!

The race piste was in excellent condition, as can be seen in Roga's pics and the event run with the professionalism expected of this test. Well done BASI & Cairngorm Mtn!
snow report
Some more pics here
White Lady looking great!

http://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.540999665930448.120679.171660376197714&type=1

Quote:
EUROTEST Press Release 26 February 2013
Alain Baxter sets cracking pace at CairnGorm for BASI Eurotest

Under blue skies and in perfect racing conditions skiing legend Alain Baxter was one of four BASI (British Association of Snowsport Instructors) pace-setters who hurtled down the famous White Lady piste at CairnGorm Mountain today to set the time for aspiring top level ski instructors to emulate. Twenty-one BASI level 4 instructors attempted to get within 18% of the aggregate time of the pace-setters in order to gain this final accolade and widespread international recognition for their qualification.

The FIS (Federation International de Ski)/BASI test on a Giant Slalom course takes place 13 or 14 times a year usually in Europe but this was the first such test to take place in Scotland for five years. The target time for the men set by Alain and his fellow pace-setters (Aaron Tipping, Jazz Bruce and Nicolas Sauvage) was 45.82 seconds in the morning and 45.87 in the afternoon but it was just too demanding for even the best of the racers with the closest, Todd O’Brien, missing out by a gut-wrenching 0.5 seconds.

BASI Eurotest co-ordinator Susie Berry commented “This was a very efficiently organised event in perfect racing conditions and I would like to congratulate CairnGorm Mountain on their race piste preparation as well as thanking them for arranging the wall to wall sunshine! Obviously the participants were disappointed not to pass, but this demonstrates just how tough a challenge this is. It is not uncommon for BASI Level 4 instructors to take five or six attempts before they pass this speed test. BASI hopes to run a Eurotest in Scotland every two years in future.” For photographs or more information contact:
colin.kirkwood@cairngormmountain.org 01479 861326 m.0778 334 6229
Tania@basi.org.uk 01479 780013 m 07890 734620

snow report
More extensive coverage from about 16 minutes

http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b01qy63y/Reporting_Scotland_26_02_2013/

Available until
6:59PM Wed, 27 Feb 2013
latest report
Interesting debate and the Reporting Scotland report looked good but I saw it after a few beers at the Cairngorm staff party last night alongside a lot of staff instructors and the BASI guys so need to watch it again, thanks for the links.

skimottaret, personally I think it's great to see it run on home snow in such great conditions and it is a good advert for those of us who choose to work here so spare us a thought Toofy Grin I'd also agree it's important it is run here sometimes, if only to even things up a bit with the Euros. The event was originally cancelled, after a couple of L2 courses were similarly cancelled, for reasons I have yet to fathom to be honest and I say that as someone who is up there pretty much every day and have been since early December - can't remember the exact date the decision was made but as I recall we had just had a pretty big dump so the cancellation 3 weeks ahead of time must have involved some crystal ball gazing and tea leaf reading that turned out to be less than reliable as conditions would have been good, if not as perfect as yesterday. Anyway, it has happened now and in conditions we can surely all be proud of so let's celebrate a great day and an event that I believe both BASI and Cairngorm are very pleased with and that will hopefully lead to more in the future snowHead

P.S. I can vouch for skimottaret's non Englishness Wink Toofy Grin

P.P.S. It was another scorcher today with great snow and views from East to West coasts (including Ben Nevis 70 odd miles away) so I'm feeling pretty chilled and just wanna enjoy spreading the happiness Very Happy
ski holidays
roga, completely off topic but feel free to reply or PM if you don't mind!! Are there opportunties to do any L2 training on longs and bump at Cairngorm?? Even out of season end of April/May is fine by me Smile

cheers,

Greg
snow conditions
Haggis_Trap wrote:
skimottaret wrote:
Quote:

And you got a valid answer....
Your nationality is irrelevant - BASI are a UK based organisation.
Last time I checked that includes Eng, Scot, Wales and NI....

But you prefer to keep the arrogant south out? (edit : this is meant as a tongue in cheek light hearted response)
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
^ Read it in context : I found the repeated claims from Skimottaret that BASI are wasting their time running euro-tests in Scotland to be patronising and arrogant.

skimottaret wrote:
Why have further tests in Scotland ? this was the first one in 5 years and it was delayed due to conditions and only 20 or so entered , musta cost BASI a bomb to run...
snow conditions
Not sure if everyone will be able to see this but here goes nothing

https://www.facebook.com/video/embed?video_id=470653919666511"

P.S. The above content belongs to Sean Langmuir and not to me.
snow conditions
Hey - Lay off Skimottaret! He's OK. I think he's a big lad from Texas - so watch out! Anyway, He's a Eurotester too.
BASI will have collected huge international credibility points for running this test.
Also there was prime-time TV reporting and that will be worth a lot in inspiration and new members.
I'm sure whatever it cost will be worth it. Anyway, they charge a fee don't they?
Skimottaret's very good point is: Only 20 people entered.
The other thing is that only two of the men would have even passed the women's time.
Well: "There's Better To Come!"
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy