Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Yet another Easter 2014 one, sorry.

Poster: A snowHead
Hi everyone, thinking about taking the family skiing for the first time next Easter. My wife and daughter don't want to ski but son does so I'm looking for somewhere to keep the girls busy with a good ski school for my 6yo. Thinking about Kaprun at the moment as it has easy access to Zell am See as well but not sure about the ski school options.
Any thoughts or other ideas most welcome.[/i]
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I think you should re-post this after the Summer
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Nunfa1, ski schools kaprun http://www.zellamsee-kaprun.com/en/ski-schools
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Nunfa1, how old is your daughter? What sort of activeties would your wife and daughter like to be doing while you and your 6yr old are skiing?
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
What's the problem with wife and daughter? Is the daughter too young?
You really need to get them all skiing as IME these split type holidays never work and the non-skiers always get the bad deal
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
if they really definitely don't want to ski maybe they should do another holiday, completely separately? It's actually good from time to time to have a few days 1:1 with a parent and child.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Easter next year is so late that you'll either have to stay right up in some bleak high altitude place, which will be miserable for non skiers, or down somewhere like Zell which would be nice for non skiers but leave the skiers a journey each day to a (possibly pretty crowded) glacier.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
My Daughter is 8 and has said she might try it, wife tried it and doesn't like it. They would be quite happy with some shops to walk round and a swimming pool/spa to spend time in.
Easter is late, and it would have to be a compromise without a doubt, but we would go as soon as the school breaks up flying out around April 4th.
I think the most important side of the trip is the lessons, ideally they need to be close to the hotel rather than a bus ride away.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Nunfa1, there's a fabulous spa at Kaprun http://www.kapruntauernspa.com/
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
holidayloverxx, seen it, bookmarked it and started this thread because of it. Very Happy

Not priced it up yet though.
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Nunfa1, we have booked here:

http://www.markwarner.co.uk/ski-holidays/les-deux-alpes/chalethotel-berangere

In Les Deux Alpes for flying out 13th April 2014 (easter week). There are kids clubs for the kids to play in / with and a pool. From what I have read they have one of the largest glaciers if it is a bad snow year for going that late (I am keeping my fingers crossed on that front). There is also a pool in the hotel.

On lessons front if you book through Mark Warner they are with ESF however, in that resort you also have easiki (http://www.easiski.com/) with Charlotte Swift who seem to be well regarded on here, I am sure I read that she is especially good with nervous women - can anybody back that up? May be you could tempt mother and daughter to book a couple of private session to try it again for just maybe one or two days there (possibly at the beginning of the week in case they get the bug and want to book a few more).
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
NickyJ, thanks for the link, I'll check it out.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Nunfa1, meant to also say another reason I booked there with them for that week is they aren't surcharging for us having interconnecting rooms which our girls will be 4 & 7 we get on much better if they have their own room to sleep in but we feel they are too young to just be in there own room.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Quote:

I am sure I read that she is especially good with nervous women - can anybody back that up?

Yes, Charlotte has done some special weeks with nervous women - but really, I think she's a good instructor at any level. She obviously didn't think I was nervous when she told me my skiing had deteriorated since the year before and asked me what had gone wrong. Laughing
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Very Happy Charlotte doesn't pull her punches. I've skied with her many times and my daughter even more. She's very good at adapting her "tone" to the learners needs (that usually means shouting at me wink )
latest report
pam w, Claude B, I was more thinking of OP saying that "wife has tried it and doesn't like" I could be come tell of the mark but that sounds like she was nervous and didn't get on with traditional instruction, as I said I am making huge assumptions there.

I am planning in booking up with her for my trip there next year after what I have read here Happy
snow report
NickyJ, I'd book early. Charlotte runs a lot of Hot Shots and Hot Tots courses over the 2 Easter weeks which takes up much of her time.

My daughter has skied with her the last 5 Easters and will do this year too. Not too sure about next year as she'll be 18 and busy with A level study. I'm hoping to be there from mid March to mid April though Very Happy
snow conditions
NickyJ, you're not far off the mark there tbh. She tried ski school with ESF and didn't get along with it at all.
With Easter being so late I am starting think about trying to do a long weekend instead and book the 3 of them in a private lesson. That way we could go for a full week the following year when Easter will be slightly earlier.
latest report
Quote:

With Easter being so late I am starting think about trying to do a long weekend instead

you might find that a whole standard week (sat/sat or sun/sun) will be no more expensive, and easier to find, than a long weekend.
snow report
Claude B wrote:
NickyJ, I'd book early. Charlotte runs a lot of Hot Shots and Hot Tots courses over the 2 Easter weeks which takes up much of her time.

My daughter has skied with her the last 5 Easters and will do this year too. Not too sure about next year as she'll be 18 and busy with A level study. I'm hoping to be there from mid March to mid April though Very Happy

Thanks Happy I have just started exchanging emails with her.
snow conditions
pam w wrote:
Quote:

With Easter being so late I am starting think about trying to do a long weekend instead

you might find that a whole standard week (sat/sat or sun/sun) will be no more expensive, and easier to find, than a long weekend.

But it has to fit around school holiday's though wink And it would be easier to deal with a short break if the wife still didn't like it.
ski holidays
pam w wrote:

Yes, Charlotte has done some special weeks with nervous women - but really, I think she's a good instructor at any level. She obviously didn't think I was nervous when she told me my skiing had deteriorated since the year before and asked me what had gone wrong. Laughing

Charlotte is Charlotte! Laughing She is blunt when you need it (I know that from experience Embarassed ) but when she took a party to La Grave, including Hells Bells and I, who were convinced we weren't up to it, she was patience and kindness personified. I certainly would not have gone with anyone else. Highly recommended.
latest report
Nunfa1, a short break would be fine provided it was all within one sat/sat week. Trying to get a deal over the Easter weekend itself might be difficult because most accommodation providers would see it as having to give up two potentially full weeks.

The other way to approach this might be to think about it as a holiday in the mountains. Your wife and kids could try a couple of private lessons with a recommended instructor (a world away from a great big group) and you could have a chance to ski (or have some lessons yourself if budget permits) but also set aside several days to do other stuff. Go snowshoeing together (you can often use lifts to gain a bit of painless height), have a family "introduction to cross country skiing" lesson, visit the spa, etc etc. A mountain holiday doesn't have to be just about skiing.
snow report
Some of the hotels in L2A take bookings for stays other than a full week. Valentine (which is a nice place) was last January and Les Lutins always has done, some of the other smaller ones too.
latest report
Hi Nunfa1, I would say Charlotte is one of the most recommended instructors that we repeatedly hear of here in the office.

We try to support the locals in resort who make the mountains such amazing places to visit - Charlotte is certainly one of those.
we advertise local ski biz free on our resort info pages - here you can see her and other local options
www.sno.co.uk/ski-resort/les-deux-alpes/ski-school-les-deux-alpes-snowboard-lessons-courses/

It doesn't get much more snowsure at Easter than Les 2 Alpes and, because of the upturned bowl shape of the mountain, there are great beginner/intermediate slopes up at the top where the late season snow stays great... much better than trying to learn on slush!
2 Alpes is known as the "upside down ski resort" for this reason.
Historic snow depths for Easter months over the last 3 years are pretty impressive www.sno.co.uk/ski/france/les-deux-alpes/easter/

A short break at Easter might not be great value - as Pam_W said, there aren't many accom providers who will book a short weekend there because they know it will prevent the rooms booking for two full weeks which are among the most peak in the winter. If you can spot a package thats well discounted, the cheapest way to get a short break is often to book a regular weekend to weekend, and use the flight and transfer at one end or the other, then plan to get your own easyFlight the other way, with a transfer from someone like Ben's Bus etc (we have a page of local transfer companies too, but better not add another link to our site!)
latest report
Thanks for all the ideas, very helpful. I should point out that if we do a long weekend it wouldn't be at Easter, it would be earlier in the season. If we go at Easter it would be for a full week.
I'll certainly put L2A on the list to look at.
ski holidays
What about Alpendorf in Austria? Don't know Austria at all well but I've found what seems a good value hotel that's open to the end of April. It's in the Ski Armade area, is that likely to have April snow?
snow conditions
maggi wrote:
pam w wrote:

Charlotte is Charlotte! Laughing She is blunt when you need it (I know that from experience Embarassed ) but when she took a party to La Grave, including Hells Bells and I, who were convinced we weren't up to it, she was patience and kindness personified. I certainly would not have gone with anyone else. Highly recommended.

Agreed, but I would also have gone with another instructor, Gavin Crosby, as I've skied with him loads in Serre Chevalier.

Last edited by So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much on Sat 9-03-13 11:03; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Quote:

They would be quite happy with some shops to walk round and a swimming pool/spa to spend time in.

For a whole week? Really? I would have thought the eight-year-old in particular would be bored witless.
snow report
Take a look at the Aquadome in Langenfeld (Oetztal). They have a hotel (probably not cheap), and the spa/sauna areas are incredible, as is the food in the restaurants. Skiing wise you've got Soelden just up the road (148km pistes, and two glaciers/glaciated areas so very snowsure) and Obergurgl (very high, very snowsure, open for skiing 'til early May), both of which they shuttle you to and from, pretty sure they have deals on the lift pass when you book accomm. For the non-skiers Oetz is a nice place (a little bit down the road), and Innsbruck is also close by if they want to check out the city/go to some 'proper' shops. There's other stuff going on in Oetztal too, depending on snow (just how late is Easter?) hiking/snowshoeing/biking and maybe whitewater rafting (think that kicks off late April-ish). There's also some educational-type/archealogical stuff, one of/the oldest preserved human corpse was found in Oeztal, I think they have some sort of centre where you can learn about that and prehistoric life in the area.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy