Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

My Daleboots from Outdoor Traders

Poster: A snowHead
Today was the big day for me to pick up my new Daleboots, so I thought I'd put up a description of the process for anyone who might be interested.

First of all, here is the primary reason that I needed custom fit boots. Yes, these are the sizes on the two liners that Daleboot have provided:

And this shot shows the difference in my feet - those insoles are both the same size, honest!

So, now you know why Colin CEM sent me off to James, and why James recommended the Daleboot. Count yourself lucky if your feet are closer in size to each other than mine are! Happy.

For today's fitting there were a number of stages. First of all, James had to fit some custom insoles, the ones you can see above. To do this, my feet went into a tray with a rubbery-squidgy-layer, which took an imprint of the bottom of my feet. He then warmed up the insoles, put them in the holes my feet had made, and had me stand on them for a while until they went hard:

Next we had to get the liners to mould around my feet. They are already "customised" from the factory to some degree, and they form to the feet and boots with heat. This is what they looked like originally:

To do mould them, James put pads all around the important parts of my feet where they would rub, and held it all in place with a ladies knee-high stocking. It looked most odd:

Then it was a case of the boots heating up for 17 minutes on the special Daleboot heating machine:

During that time, James was working on the custom insoles, some generic insoles were in the boots for the heating. Once they were warm enough, my feet (covered in stockings and pads as they were) were unceremoniously pushed into the boots, which were done up and I had to stand for some fifteen minutes in them. It wasn't quite agony, but relatively painful - they were pushing in on the padded areas, and I had to stand with my knees bent so my thighs started to burn after a while - but it was certainly bearable.

Finally, James had to put on the bottom bits to hold the boot onto the bindings (yes I know there's a word for them, I erm forgot it). It turns out that I am not just knock-kneed or bow-legged - rather I am "windswept", which means my right leg is knock-kneed and my left leg is bow-legged! So both legs needed adjusting to the right - if you look at the photo below, you'll notice that the left side is wider than the right. That's not a trick of the light - that's how they actually are, so that my skis will be flat to the ground:

Overall, I was very impressed with the process. It took a long time, but it was well worth it. At each stage, everything was explained step by step, and everything made an awful lot of sense. As for the result? I have a very comfortable pair of boots, a little tight at the moment (but they're meant to be, they will wear in), but comfortable. For the first time ever with any footwear I don't feel like I have loads of space in my left shoe while my right toes are a little crushed (duh, you'd think I'd have noticed before now that there was something serious wrong!).

Sure, the looks might not be to everybody's style (they're fine for me, I'm not particularly fashionable), but if you have feet like mine I thoroughly recommend Daleboots - and Outdoor Traders in Abingdon!

I will be trying them out for the first time tomorrow, on a course with InsideOut Skiing in Hemel Hempstead, so I will update this report and let you know how they actually work for me.

-simon
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Nice one.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Szymon wrote:
- rather I am "windswept"
Laughing Never heard that term before!
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Had a pair of DBs for many years.
Truly the most comfortable and skiable boot I've ever worn. It's a long and boring story why I don't use a pair now but anyway, just enjoy them. Mine were exceptional.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Update - they were wonderful Happy.

The only odd thing was that my toes felt a little "tight" after a while - feeling cold with pins and needles after a couple of hours skiing. However this was the first time out, so maybe they just need to bed in a bit? Thoughts?
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Szymon, that happened to my friend. Thinner and slightly less constricting socks solved the problem for her.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Hmmm...the socks I have are ones I bought with the boots. Perhaps I'll write to James and ask...
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Glad to hear the new boots worked out well. It is deceptively cold at Hemel, so your cold toes might have just been cold toes, if you know what I mean. I usually have boot heaters, set to low, if I'm there all day.
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Szymon wrote:
Update - they were wonderful Happy.

The only odd thing was that my toes felt a little "tight" after a while - feeling cold with pins and needles after a couple of hours skiing. However this was the first time out, so maybe they just need to bed in a bit? Thoughts?

Had this with my new boots a couple of seasons ago for the first couple of uses. All settled down after a while and really comfortable - except when trying to put them on after leaving them overnight in the boot of the car in -15c...eejit!!! Smile
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Szymon, yes hers were the ones she bought with the boots too! Expensive ones. But she realised after the first day that they were slightly restricting her toes even before she put the boots on - nothing dramatic, but thinner, looser, socks made a huge difference.
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
So, James says that it sounds perfectly normal and would expect it to continue for the next four days or so but steadily start to improve as the bladder beds in. Next time I'm able to ski will be four days in Zermatt, so am hoping that it all goes well. I'll take some thinner socks just in case too, thanks Pam Happy
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
I bought a pair of Dale Boots from James 4/5 years ago to replace my 25 year old Dynafit 3F's.

They are pricey but ski every bit as well, are equally as comfortable (do up in morning, leave until take off at night) but weigh half as much. Great boot in all respects.

James' expert fitting dialed out a knee problem that I'd suffered with over the years too!

Steve
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Out of interest... Is it 2 different size shells as well?
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
dansmith, the shells on the outside are almost identical. They are the same length from front to back, and there are a couple of mm difference in how far the base sticks out from the toe of the boot but it's tiny - not noticeable. Most importantly, I do not need to have a "left ski" and a "right ski".

If you're interested I can try and take a photo when I get home on the weekend.

-simon
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
I've been well impressed with James and he has looked after me and my boots really well over the last 3 years, and Mrs S's boots and now 2 pairs of skis.
ski holidays
I went to James 3 or 4 years ago on CEM's recommendation. I'd smashed my ankle up and wanted some boots that would be comfortable and less likely to cause me gip when I was skiing. I ended up with some Solomon shells as I wouldn't have got the Daleboots in time for my trip. Because he was out of liners he gave me his ones to sort me out. He then told me to come back after the trip and he'd fit a new pair of liners. His liners (smell aside Smile ) have been good and I've not bothered going back.

Very nice guy, and really good service.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy