Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Are chairlifts safe enough?

Poster: A snowHead
Alastair Pink wrote:
Zero-G wrote:
So yes, it is possible to add remedial devices to existing old-style chairlifts but then how will those devices affect adults using those lifts?

Some of those add-on kiddie protection devices can be a bit uncomfortable as they can impinge on a (ahem! Embarassed ) gentleman's arrangements! Toofy Grin

I notice they're experimenting with various "kiddie devices" in the 3V including "magnetstick" (mentioned previously) where the kids wear a magnetic vest and get stuck to the chair, bars that won't open until you get to the destination and the device aluded to by Alastair Pink above on either Combe or Plan de l'homme in meribel or mottaret (can't remember which one) which we discovered much to our terror a couple of weeks ago which we referred to as the "nut cracker"
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
andyrew wrote:
..and the device aluded to by Alastair Pink above on either Combe or Plan de l'homme in meribel or mottaret (can't remember which one) which we discovered much to our terror a couple of weeks ago which we referred to as the "nut cracker"

Good name! Laughing
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
pam w wrote:
I've seen several people fall of chairlifts, but not come to any harm.

When mounting/dismounting or falling off half way through the trip up the mountain?
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Mrs A fell off a chair in Val d'Isere a good many years ago. It was at the end of the day and it was snowing. It wasn't busy and the liftie was in his hut. As the chair came round she brushed the snow off the seat then turned to sit down. What she didn't realise was that there was also ice there and she carried on turning. We managed a short distance before she simply slipped off the seat. Fortunately, the fall was far enough for the seat to miss her head but she landed with her knees apart and tore her ACL.

In the Maurienne last week, I noticed that the lifties were very hot on telling people to remove their rucksacks - now I know why. This wasn't a problem until I managed to get a buckle wedged between two seats so that I ended up being pushed sideways into the stop rope. Why don't they just make chairs like benches with a solid seat and back and no holes to get stuff caught in?
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
philwig wrote:
In Canada I've often been asked by ski school people to look after kids on the chair lift. Specifically they will hand you a kid, and you (as a tourist snowboarder) have to make sure they get off at the top and meet again with the instructor. When it first happened I couldn't understand how come they didn't want my CRB check, but on reflection it's a country without the Daily Mail. I don't know kids ages, but these have been from tiny things who I'd guess may be 5 up to borderline "yoofs" who I suppose are 12 or so.

I've never been asked specifically to "mind" the little one they put next to me! Shocked

In some cases, they asked if I "mind" sharing a chair with the little one, which I don't. And in all those cases, the kid were the ones asked me to kindly lower the safety bar. By now, I've realized that's my duty, and my ONLY duty!

Yesterday, I did have an instructor specifically ask me to kindly man the bar when he put 2 of his students in my "care".

No one ever asked me to take care of the children beyond raising and lowering the safety bar. On the other hand, I've only skied in Canada no more than 10 times...
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Ramzee,

Quote:

If you've ever seen a chair do a full e-stop and the chairs swing up, nearly hit the rope, then come back just as hard (thankfully the chair was under maintenance at the time, but I've seen what could happen!).... you'll put the bar down!!!

You would swing with the chair and stay on. The chair swinging upwards shows a safe design, if it stayed horizontal when the lift stopped then you would be likely to slip off. For chairs rides of less than five minutes I won't pull the bar down but it is unusual in Europe for someone else not to pull it down before you've barely sat down.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
altis, the gap at the bottom of the chair is normally to do with having the seat hinged so that it doesn't collect snowfall when not in use
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
rambotion, From what I witnessed you would be launched some way into the distance...... What about a de-rope and sudden drop down/bounce? (assuming chair stays connected).

I agree that the bar doesnt really stop kids from sliding out or idiots from being idiots.... There are other reasons for the bar though....
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
rambotion,

No.
Very far wrong. At least in case of fast detachables.

Had the quite terrifying experience last year of a full on emergency stop. Could see the tension wave approaching. Force dropped 5-10 metres then flung 2x whatever drop was into the air, dropped similar distance the began to attenuate.

Without bar would have been a significant throw and a 40m drop from chair anyway.

Bruises on thighs from chair bar to prove it.

Small children would have died.

Took me whole season to be happy on lifts again. And I have ridden lifts a lot for 40 years with nary a whimper.
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Chairs are safe enough. There are very few accidents. Skiing is risky and this is one of the risks for the minority.

Parents / ski school have a duty to teach small children how to ride chairs safely.

How old was the girl that came off and died the other week? I though she was 14 or similar? That is almost certainly tall enough to be physically safe so I would hazard a guess she wasn't sitting still or back against the chair.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
AndrewBailey,

You're probably right about that. I'm sure we've taken the kids up the same lifts in the summer.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Quote:

Had the quite terrifying experience last year of a full on emergency stop. Could see the tension wave approaching. Force dropped 5-10 metres then flung 2x whatever drop was into the air, dropped similar distance the began to attenuate.

Shocked Shocked Shocked I suppose the fact that the engineering can cope with that (as with those pictures of the gondola swinging in LdA) should be reassuring.
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
pam w, while reassuring that the chair would have been OK we were all thrown upwards and only held near the chair by the bar, which rose up as we did keeping us more or less in the same region of space.

If we'd been travelling without the bar, I would not be typing this.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
under a new name, yes, I'd never travel without the bar, though it does irritate me when people grab it down when you've barely sat down.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
pam w, Being tall I have many scratches on my helmet from exactly this! Mind you I never had this problem before helmets....... Twisted Evil
snow report
Chattonmill, you probably did, but you can't remember thanks to repeated blows to the head. Toofy Grin
snow report
pam w, quite agree - and the really bad lift companions are those that pull it down quickly but also very fiercely, no need for that at all - being quite, well very, short I sometimes struggle to even get hold of the bar but always succeed. My OH now grabs hold of it and holds on until he looks along and says 'OK?' or words to that effect to everyone on the chair.
ski holidays
Rumour has it that at one of the Snowheads Bashes when a group of SHs boarded a chairlift and one of them called out "bar!", indicating that they desired the safety bar to be lowered, a certain female snowhead called out "where?" - thinking that the location of a place offering alcoholic refreshment was being pointed out.... Toofy Grin
snow conditions
Alastair Pink, snowHead Laughing Embarassed
latest report
LOL! That's one very good "chair lift story"! Very Happy
snow conditions
maggi!!

We also discovered, on a chairlift at the eosb, that 3 pixies and I do NOT equal a Frosty the Snowman the pic is out there somewhere!
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy