Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Les Arcs or Les Deux Alpes ?

Poster: A snowHead
Hi Guys,
Not sure if this topic is in the right forum section....Mods, please feel free to move it if you want to.

Can any of you guys give me some advice please?

Wife and daughter want to go skiing for a week in April....as my daughter is a teacher, they can only go for a week from 07.04.13. They want to go Club Med & have really good quotes for a week at either Arcs Extreme or Les Deux Alpes. My wife is an steady intermediate & my daughter is a complete beginner.
Now these are my questions:
1) Any idea whether the snow cover will be good in April at these resorts ? I guess what I mean is will they will able to ski in/ski out at these hotels in April ?
2) Les Arcs seem to have only 2 green slopes, (Club Med don't give you a full Paradski lift pass) whereas Les Deux Alpes has 17 green slopes...but tripadvisor says its not good for beginners to ski back to!!! it's also a lower resort...so I am worried about the snow cover

Any of you lovely snowheads offer any opinions, advice so that my daughter (in particular...I don't want her put off skiing) has a great skiing holiday.

Thanks in advance.
Smile
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Ricay, for reasons I've never understood Les Arcs doesn't use the Green classification for pistes in the same way as other resorts. There is plenty of gentle terrain, but much of it is classed Blue. In a typical season there should be plenty of snow in Les Arcs for the week of 7 April, and the pisteurs will do a good job of keeping the runs to the villages in decent condition.

Never been to LDA so can't comment about that resort.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
There are several easy blues in Les Arcs and it is a lovely resort. I'd definitely go there over Les Deux Alpes. I haven't been to Les Deux Alpes but from what I've read on Snow Heads it doesn't sound the best place for families. Sometimes green runs are just tracks and not always that easy for beginners to ski. Friends of ours who regularly go to Club Med places at Easter recommended Serre Chevalier so it might be worth looking at that too.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
I'd definitely go Les Arcs, much more beginner friendly and iirc extreme is in 2000 which will be very snowsure at that point and has some lovely beginner runs - down to the slow (good rest for beginners!) pre st esprit lift was one of my favourites as a nervous intermediate. Locals are friendly too which makes instruction less pot luck than in some resorts. Go for it!
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
There still should be plenty of snow in Les Arcs the week you are planning and the beginner slopes in Les2Alpes should also be fine. You are right in saying that it will be difficult for beginners to ski back to the village in Les2Alpes, but it is very easy to download and get the lift back. Many skiers, not just beginners download.

Les Arcs do not use the green classification, but has zone tranquil, (or mauve) reserved for timid skiers. The beginners area around arc2000 is very good.

The reason ClubMed do not offer a full Paradiski lift pass is, to be honest, that it isn't worth it. There is plenty of high quality skiing in the Les Arc resort without crossing over to La Plagne.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Guys, Thanks for all the very prompt & useful replies....I think Club Med Les arcs wins it Very Happy
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Good choice Ricay, went Les Arcs last year (11/12 season) and loved it. Loads of simple runs all over the place. My wife and I just casually ski'd all over the piste without having to think about most of the blues we went on. We are looking at going back next season 13/14...we said we would never do that and always try new places, but LA was so nice, we want to go back. 1950 is a fantastic area (quiet and quite expensive) but they do things at night to keep u entertained (marshmellows over bonfires, husky trails etc) We are hopeing to book 1950 for January 2014. If it helps, check out
http://youtube.com/v/T2FI1rVkd2M and search X9JPF LES ARCS in Youtube to see the other 2 LA videos
Havent stayed in LDA but we were talking to a man on the flight back who said he wouldnt go back there as it was quite steep at times and not best place for his 10 yr old child

Hope this helps
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
We had Easter in LA a couple of years back pretty much travelling the same dates as your wife and daughter want to go. Was an interesting week as it was red hot with all the runs rapidly depleting in front of our eyes. There was hardly any skiing below 2,000m. However, it was a pretty poor season all round with hardly any snow from Jan to March, then a really warm April.

Same season we spent Christmas in L2A and enjoyed really good conditions.

I think if the conditions are like we had in LA then L2A would be the better bet. The glacier has some very wide easy pistes so has better coverage up very high than LA, they could ski back down to the Cretes area before downloading, from the top of the glacier it's a really long run and not too difficult. However, given the season has been pretty good so far Les Arcs should have reasonable coverage even if it does get very warm - in which case I think Les Arcs is the more attractive option.

Last edited by After all it is free Go on u know u want to! on Sat 23-02-13 17:33; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Quote:

its not good for beginners to ski back to!!!

no it's not, but that doesn't mean it's not good for beginners! Lots of people (not just beginners) prefer to download in LdA. If you can wait till later to decide, it would be better. There is super snow now, but that doesn't mean there'll be super snow in early April and in a year with very poor snow LdA would be a great choice.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski tuition for your daughter will be crucial - if you could get lessons with Charlotte Swift (easiski.com) that would be terrific, though she might already be fully booked. For me, if you could get lessons with Charlotte, that would swing the choice to LdA.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
pam w wrote:
Ski tuition for your daughter will be crucial - if you could get lessons with Charlotte Swift (easiski.com) that would be terrific, though she might already be fully booked. For me, if you could get lessons with Charlotte, that would swing the choice to LdA.

Charlotte does her Hot Tots week that week so will likely be fully booked (unless she squeezes in other lessons either side).
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
get some personal recommendations for instructors, wherever you go - plenty of people here who know both resorts. I've never been to Les Arcs but rob@rar would no doubt be able to suggest somebody good. For a complete beginner choice of instructor is probably more important than choice of resort.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
action-outdoors.com has a trip to LDA for the 6th for a week, tuition included.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
ClubMed usuallu incorporate ski lessons with ESF as part of the package. It is an all-inclusive package and you do not need to buy anything at all during the week except coffees on slope (lunch is in hotel). Ski hire is not included. Have really enjoyed ClubMed at Avoriaz a few years ago, and also a thumbs up for Les Arc Smile
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Ricay, I was in Club Med LDA in 2012and Club Med Les Arcs this January. I had a brilliant time in each resort.

Hotel room: LDA wins as the rooms were recently refurbished.
Food: Fantastic in both places, perhaps LDA had a better and more varied fish selection.
Bar Area: More seating in LDA but that is because the theatre is incorporated into the bar area and it becomes a bit noisy. The snacks were more plentiful and varied in Les Arcs. In Les Arcs it is quiet dark in the bar/lounge, actually too dark to read a book.
Ski In/Out: Both are but Les Arcs is better as you have to climb 10/12 metal steps and then walk 50m at LDA. In Les Arcs you ski from the boot room straight to a drag lift.
Ski: LDA is very high and practically all of the skiing is above the tree line. The views are spectacular especially when you reach the top.
Les Arcs is a much more varied ski area, I got a real buzz just from being able to ski down the street in 1950. In my opinion Les Arcs offers a more relaxed skiing environment. I can't fault the skiing in Les Arcs as when I was there we had snow conditions I had previously only dreamed of.
Ski Back: Yes the rat run in LDA is awful and I skipped it after the first day. You can take the black run down if you are feeling adventurous. If you are inexperienced and it is icy then give it a miss, it is very steep. As mentioned above the smart money is on getting the lift back. Les Arcs is an easy ski home from almost anywhere on the mountain.

LDA is a resort that is much criticised but I loved it and would recommend a Club Med holiday there without hesitation. Having said that I would have to say I preferred the skiing in Les Acs.

Any questions you have, feel free to ask. Ski hire? Club Med is almost twice more expensive then booking online with a local ski shop.

snow report
Quote:

you have to climb 10/12 metal steps and then walk 50m at LDA

So not ski in/ski out then. Laughing
snow report
palumbex, Thanks for the info...the girls have gone and booked Les Arcs Club Med...we are a Club Med addicts....we have been last 3 years to Tignes Val Claret, and Chamonix, Avoiraz in the past. (I am off to Club Med la Plagne 2100 in mid march with 8 other guys. )Wife has her own skis & boots but daughter needs to hire boots & skis....where did you hire your gear from...need somewhere close to the hotel for my Daughter. Cheers to everyone for the tips/advice Very Happy
snow report
Ricay, We used rental republic. They deliver direct to your hotel. It was ok but I will not be using this type of service in the future. I prefer to visit a shop and have a modicum of control over what I receive.

ski holidays
Ricay,

I have recently got back from Club Med, Peisey-Vallandry, at the eastern edge of Les Arcs (right next to the Vanoise Express). Full trip report here: http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=98061

I hope it is of use!

Also, as an alternative, you might like to consider Club Med Serre Chevalier, which we went to last year and which I think is a bit better set-up for complete beginners such as your daughter. Trip report here: http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=86952 . Not sure how snow sure it will be in April, but plenty of others here can advise.

Overall we've been very happy with both of our ski holidays with Club Med, and both trips have included complete beginners.

chemistry

PS. Our stay at Club Med Peisey-Vallandry included full Paradiski Lift Passes as standard, so we could ski the whole Les Arcs area, as well as La Plagne.
latest report
Ricay, ski hire in 2000 were all good by what i saw. We used the twinner - cheap, friendly, decent gear with lots of choice (gs, freeride, etc). Skiset were also very friendly, with newer but slightly less varied equipment. I'd have been very happy with either.
ski holidays
a.j. wrote:
Ricay, ski hire in 2000 were all good by what i saw. We used the twinner - cheap, friendly, decent gear with lots of choice (gs, freeride, etc). Skiset were also very friendly, with newer but slightly less varied equipment. I'd have been very happy with either.

Cheers for that tip a.j. Smile
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy