Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Tips where to guide the less experienced in St. Anton

Poster: A snowHead
Hi,

We are a mixed abilities group going to St. Anton first week in March. I'm a little bit concerned about one member of our group who has done some skiing, but never in the Alps. Any tips on where to start the week to ensure as soft as possible a landing for her? I know St. Anton isn't the easiest resort, so I just hope we haven't bitten off more than we can chew.

We are living closest to Galzigbahn and Rendlbahn, so starting from either of the two would be easiest.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Bus over to Lech or Zurs and start her there Smile

I assume she is having lessons, if so the instructor will take her to appropriate slopes.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
kitenski,

Thank you! Duly noted. Smile ...and if she doesn't fancy the ski bus to start with?

I actually don't know if she intends to have lessons. Her bf is taking her to a local resort tomorrow, partly to assess the need for lessons. I have recommended them to her, but I simply don't know her level. I think she is open to the idea.

I have repeatedly pointed out that St. Anton is not ideal for beginners, but she & bf seem to feel confident enough.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
SkiingDad, It's really hard to say to be honest, there are some blues off the top of the Rendlbahn, but I wouldn't take a complete beginner down them! I'd head to Nasserin where the beginners area is and see how she goes there for the first day.

but really I'd get her in lessons!!
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
More than anything, encourage her to take a gondola back down at the end of the day. Some of the lower mountain runs become a sheet of polished ice after a full day's use. My wife regularly took the gondola down when we were there, and she's a very experienced skier who'll happily tackle gnarly off piste. St Anton's early evening skating rinks were too much for her, though.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Rendl is great for timid skiers. Quiet slopes, good grooming and option to gondola down the hill again if they don't fancy the red down.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
boabski wrote:
Rendl is great for timid skiers. Quiet slopes, good grooming and option to gondola down the hill again if they don't fancy the red down.

I agree good for timid skiers but maybe not for someone who
Quote:
has done some skiing, but never in the Alps

Unfortunately we cannot tell if that means has never done more than a snowplough indoors or something more than that!!!
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
kitenski,

Judging from what she has said, I think she's past the beginner slopes. It's definitely more than a snowplough indoors, but I don't know exactly how much. Of course, that doesn't mean she couldn't benefit from lessons. In any case, I'm not really taking responsibility for her, but I do want to be able to recommend where to start. As I've said, her boyfriend will have a better clue to her abilities. (after tomorrow, that is...)

Judging by the sound of it, Rendl should be best to start, then. Decent blues should be fine.
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Jonny Jones,

Yep, already mentioned that, simply because many of the lower runs are red.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
SkiingDad, send her up Rendl. If she can't deal with it, her problem, and she'll have to shell out for lessons.
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
clarky999,
Indeed, I think that's fair enough.
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
We took a one week skier up Rendl - straight up the 6 man chair to a red - she has never been the same since.......
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Nadenoodlee wrote:
We took a one week skier up Rendl - straight up the 6 man chair to a red - she has never been the same since.......

Okaaay... In a good or a bad way? ...or do I really want to know?
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
In general slopes in both St Anton and Lech seem quite steep to me, in that there are some labelled blue which would be red elsewhere.

I'd second the idea of a bus to Lech to start - quieter, better groomed, wider, although some (such as blue 34) are still a bit steep in places. Blue 38 is easier. If she needs a nursery slope, the ones in Lech are very quiet, compared to the Nasserein one which is the end of a home run.

If you fancy a day out get the train to Langen (then bus/taxi) and ski in Sonnenkopf. It's included on the piste map/pass. Generally quiet with great snow, and most of the blues there are fairly straightforward, although many are served by T bars. I love the place.

I'd also recommend getting the gondola down at the end of the day any where in St Anton. Blue 4 and 1 are lovely at the start of the day, quite wide and fairly shallow most of the way, but can be a busy, icy, bumpy mess at the end. Blue 20 is fairly shallow, but a bit of a track in places.

Blue 8 down to St Christoph is fairly straighforward, and not as long as it looks on the map. The runs served by the T bar in St Christoph are a step up from a nursey slope, and usually very quiet. If need be, she could get the bus to them.

On Rendl R4 is nice, after a slightly steep bit which can get a bit bumpy and R11 is similar. The bunny run on Rendl, R3, is good for practicing, although the last few metres are steep were icy when we were there (bad snow).
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
As others have said Rendl is the answer. There's a nursery slope near the snow park
ski holidays
The Osthang at the top of Galzig is actually ideal beginners terrain IMO.
snow conditions
I agree the blue number 5 from the top of Galzig is a nice steady run. Although it can get a little cut up in the afternoon.

The blue number 8 from Galzig to St Christoph is nice as well.

I remember the blue 24 from Gampen to Nasserein having its moments but on the whole ok.

Lech was a good day out and worth experiencing. The route from Lech to Zurs was fantastic and very beautiful.
ski holidays
My comments are based on my own experiences of trying to learn in St Anton during a winter with particularly bad snow.

I can't comment on no.24 for example as the bottom bit was closed that year, so you had to do the red or black at the end, which I found very tough.

Personally, I loved no.5 once I got a bit better, but found it very tough at first. It was often busy and choppy when I skied it. I wouldn't take a beginner there, although it would be great for an improver. It depends on the standard of the OP's friend.
latest report
janeed,
Very good to hear this from someone who learned to ski in St. Anton. Thanks for that. Based on observations done this weekend, it seems inevitable that she have lessons, so this will naturally shape her itinerary quite a bit. After the lessons, I'll be sure to forward your recommendations to her. Smile After...

I'm actually glad that her need for lessons has been established, since this should eliminate the risk of us taking her to an "easy slope" which is a monster in her eyes, so definitely less nervous about giving a bad recommendation. ...since I'll not give any.

Thanks to all for your recommendations.
latest report
SkiingDad, Osthang and Maas run on Rendl, St Christop #8, also Kapall - beyond that she'll likely struggle, not an ideal resort.....suggest Lech would be more suitable, post bus from bus station runs regularly.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy