Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Who or what really irritate you on the mountain?

Poster: A snowHead
Where I live, they have a smaller side gate just after the one the main one that people use to get on the gondola, so that they can 'pop' extra single + skiers into it to join the people that think its acceptable to hog an 8 seater for the 3 of them. Smile
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Henry's and Henrietta's errant apostrophes Very Happy
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
If people behind me click their poles I never know whether to move left or right. So I move, slowly, and stay, in the middle Twisted Evil .
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Skiers who wear white jackets and white trousers.
Yes , Im sure they looked super chic in the shop , but in low / flat light or snow no-one can see you as you are perfectly camoflaged .
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
maggi wrote:
If people behind me click their poles I never know whether to move left or right. So I move, slowly, and stay, in the middle Twisted Evil .

Which would be the right thing to do? It's not to ask you to move, just to let you know someone is coming past on one side, so be aware/don't be alarmed, and don't erratically veer off anywhere...
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Belgians.

Very Happy
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
daveyladboy wrote:
Belgians.
Very Happy

Belgians? Do Belgians Ski? I've never met one on the slopes.

snowHead
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Pedants who go on about apostrophes
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
The quality of my skiing.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Markymark29 wrote:
Pedants who go on about apostrophes
I understand, but I've never had that problem on the slopes. Yet.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Steilhang, Ok, get your point! They just wind you up before you get there that's all!

I get annoyed with lifties who send up 1/2 empty chairs when theres a big queue at peak times.......why dont they fill them up?

Also people who dither as they approach the gate to the travellator becasue they want to be with their pals............ just get on!

And, ski schools that use the fast lane..........why do they get priority? I've never got this.........the argument that they've paid big money for the ski school is not valid IMO, I've also paid big money for my lift pass! Time's money! wink

Ha...............rant over!
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
c0Ka|Ne wrote:
The quality of my skiing.

I forgot. The quality of my skiing winds me up more than anything else.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Markymark29,
Quote:

Also people who dither as they approach the gate to the travellator becasue they want to be with their pals............ just get on!
Irritating if you don't have friends, but for most of us skiing is just as much about spending time with friends on the slopes as it is about the skiing itself. So, I would rather travel on lifts with friends and I am happy to miss a chair to achieve that. I am also happy to wait A LITTLE while others achieve the same objective. Nobody wants to spend their day in a lift queue, but byt the same token there doesn't need to be a frantic rush.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
foxtrotzulu, Take your point, no issue re friends either we ski in a big group on most days - what winds me up though is that people sometimes dont get organised as they shuffle forwards and becasue they have a panic at the last moment because they arent with all their friends they stand in front of the gate, which opens and then closes with them stood there. Becasue they then don't get on it then leaves a 4-6 person chair 1/2 full..............it's a bit like being at he front of the bus queue, bus pulls up and then not getting on and the bus setting off when there's loads of people in the bus shelter behind you that can't get through.

BTW - Sometimes there DOES need to be a frantic rush, eg; first tracks on a powder day, need to get back up that lift quick to get the fresh lines etc.........I enjoy the craic and tootling about on occasions, and always wait at the lift station for slower skiers and riders but when in the lift queue expect all to get on with getting up there irrespective of having all their team on the same lift wink
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Markymark29, Fair point Very Happy
snow conditions
foxtrotzulu, I think it depends on the queue. Most of the time I ski it's straight onto lifts, or with maybe 7 or 8 people in front of you. Then it's no problem if people faff and dither a bit and I have no compunction about doing the same. But with a big queue (over a couple of minutes) I do think it's pretty discourteous to let a chair go empty or with one person on. The problem would be solved, of course, with singles lines, as all the people who won't go without their friends wouldn't use them.

On the very few occasions I embark with friends on a long lift queue we always just agree to get on and meet at the top if necessary (not too near the off ramp, of course Little Angel )

Even at busy times you see a lot of chairs with spaces - which means you are queuing a lot longer than you should be.
ski holidays
1. Every German who decides to ski in the Dolomites for a week at a time making the area busier and accommodation more expensive than it should be.
2. The appalling rudeness of anyone trying to jump the lift queues
3. Anyone who thinks that skiing also means they have to shout and laugh continuously at very high volumes
4. Ski instructors who think that teaching you to ski means the class just has to follow them down a mountain
5. The lack of freqeunt snowfall in the Dolomites which means I end up sitiing in the sun for far too long at lunchtimes eating and drinking and not actually skiing

None of the above manages to ruin my holiday though. It would just be a better holiday if the above (apart from point 5.) could be eliminated.

Last edited by Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person on Tue 26-02-13 12:55; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
jimmybog wrote:

2. The appalling rudeness of Italians and Germans trying to jump the lift queues
3. Italians who think that skiing also means they have to shout and laugh continuously at very high volumes

Cultural differences, dude. The Dolomites aren't in Britain, why should you expect British cultural norms there? When in Rome...
ski holidays
clarky999 wrote:
jimmybog wrote:

2. The appalling rudeness of Italians and Germans trying to jump the lift queues
3. Italians who think that skiing also means they have to shout and laugh continuously at very high volumes

Cultural differences, dude. The Dolomites aren't in Britain, why should you expect British cultural norms there? When in Rome...

I don't expect British cultural norms, I'm just highlighting what annoys me on the mountain. The fact their culture is different doesn't mean I can't get annoyed by it Smile
snow report
jimmybog, ever thought of not going to the Dolomites Puzzled
ski holidays
People from small flat countries who visit central Europe to go skiing and then complain about the culture, the locals and the snowfall. The racist forkers should stay at home and ski Tamworth / Milton keynes.
latest report
Layne wrote:
jimmybog, ever thought of not going to the Dolomites Puzzled

What, and miss all that scenery, food, drinks, excellent groomed pistes etc ? Very Happy In fact I am missing the Dolomites this year and going to Ski Amade region. BUt I'll be back in the Dolomites next year.

My original post was a bit tongue in cheek. Obviously I didn't realise some people take things so seriously on here.
ski holidays
jimmybog wrote:
Obviously I didn't realise some people take things so seriously on here.

Schoolboy error! Laughing
snow report
Mosha Marc wrote:
jimmybog wrote:

Schoolboy error! Laughing

Yep just learnt that the hard way Sad
ski holidays
DB, Laughing Laughing Laughing
ski holidays
jimmybog,
Quote:
My original post was a bit tongue in cheek.

Only a bit?

Quote:

You took my comment seriously Puzzled It was a bit tongue in cheek wink
snow conditions
Layne wrote:
jimmybog,
Quote:
My original post was a bit tongue in cheek.

Only a bit?

Quote:

You took my comment seriously Puzzled It was a bit tongue in cheek wink

As was my reply to you hence the smiley!!
snow report
jimmybog, Cool Very Happy
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
jimmybog, Layne, Bit of a love-in going on Puzzled wink
snow report
Have just edited my original post and apologies if I caused any offence to anyone. Wasn't my intention to do so and most of my comments were meant to be tongue in cheek. The lift queue jumping did and still does annoy me though and I have seen several not pleasant scenes arise from it happening which is not nice to see whilst on holiday.
latest report
Quote:

Do Belgians Ski? I've never met one on the slopes.

Yes you have - you have merely assumed they were either French or Dutch. Belgians are our biggest group of non-French visitors here by quite a long way.
snow report
Markymark29, +1 with a boost gnerally but

Quote:

ski schools that use the fast lane..........why do they get priority?

I think there are a number of reasons, first it's historic - when it was Poma and T-bars the instructors actually had to act as lifties to ensure their learners/punters didn't kill themselves, the single file special lane assisted in letting him/her deal with them one by one and also did not hold up the rest of the queue. Second, it means they do not block the main pasageway and gather to one side whilst waiting for the rest of the flock to assemble. Lastly I think it''s a deal that the lift company have been forced to keep by the ski schools since it means that their pupils feel privileged and superior and thus more likely to take lessons (the concept works very well for Russians, the prestige angle not the skiing lessons, obviously).

In some places this privilege lane has been converted to add single skiers which I think is the right way to go.
latest report
I get annoyed when I watch video footage of me skiing and the realisation sets in that I'm crap.
snow report
NeddySkiGoon wrote:
daveyladboy wrote:
Belgians.
Very Happy

Belgians? Do Belgians Ski? I've never met one on the slopes.

snowHead

They had a bigger ski team at the World Champs than Team GB, so yes I think they ski.
ski holidays
It's just a hunch, but I suspect more Germans go skiing in Italy than do Brits.
snow report
justatheory,
snow report
justatheory,
Quote:

I get annoyed when I watch video footage of me skiing and the realisation sets in that I'm crap.

+1
Very Happy
snow conditions
My left leg, thus, my turns to the right. Stupid asymetrical fencer body.
ski holidays
My only problem is with the sun, why can't it come up about 10.00 and go down about 19.00
snow report
Quote:

The appalling rudeness of anyone trying to jump the lift queues

I did it again. I stopped a little princess pushing in front of me (quite blatantly - I had been there at least five minutes before she even arrived). I was polite but firm.

Her reaction made it quite apparent that nobody had ever said no (or "non") to her before. I thought for a moment she was going to burst into tears. It made me feel bad, but if I don't tell her, who will? Clearly not her parents, who were nowhere to be seen - probably just as well.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy