Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Where are skis actually made?

Poster: A snowHead
Dot., Cheers. Thanks for the info. It makes sense that it will be factory specific.
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
My Dynastar Outlands actually have Made in France stamped on them
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Fitted some bindings to a friends salomon suspects at the start of the season and was surprised to see Made in China (in rather small type) stamped on the tails.....................
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
The Lines I've just received are made in China too. To my uneducated eye they look fine though.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
My K2's are made in China, it says so in tiny writing if you look close enough, but not quite as tiny as it is on the back of the iPad I am typing on. .

I prefer my K2's to any other ski I have previously owned, don't really care where they are made.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Sporten / storm skis = once a rip off now seemingly free.

Last edited by You'll need to Register first of course. on Mon 25-02-13 9:53; edited 2 times in total
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
er no, just read the label on my skis, and you've just f*cked the page width up Evil or Very Mad
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Dot. wrote:
clarky999, Nope, Whitedot and Down aren't made in the Elan factory. We own our own tooling and manufacture in the former Burton factory in Poland.

Ah ok, must have been someone else then. Thanks for the heads up.
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Claude B, storm skis are made by sporten using the same molds the only difference was £300 mark up,mold sharing is cool as long as we the punters dont get blaged with bull poo-poo on "unique" design crap true some skis different but alot ski the same and when people say they dont they are lying following the crowd and the advertising crap,same in mountain biking when orange bikes couldnt do anything wrong when really they were poo-poo.
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
manufacturing costs go down but retail prices go up!!!!!!
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
meandrew, clean up your ѕhіtty prose to recover the page width.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
meandrew, mate, relax. it really isn't worth it. This is the internet, not real life. Cool
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
meandrew, seem to have missed the bit where someone asked the very question, "where are skis made?" If you need help finding it, it's the string of long words you clicked on in order to see all these messages.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
meandrew, deep breaths mate....... It's ok to be a bit freaked out by this inter web thingy rolling eyes
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Quote:

manufacturing costs go down but retail prices go up!!!!!!

Damn the wood suppliers, steel suppliers, composites suppliers, plastics suppliers (polyethylene, rubber and ABS), resin suppliers, freight forwarders, couriers and labour must have miss the memo saying manufacturing prices were dropping. rolling eyes
ski holidays
At least fuel hasn't gone up in the last couple of years eh.
latest report
I feel like this MeAndrew person has it in for me!! First he berates my question, then messes up the page width and to top it off he insults my pride and joy an Orange 224
latest report
way back in December one of the Ski Gurus in Ischgl, insisted that some of the slamon reange was being produced in Salzburgerland (Austria), any thoughts?
snow report
Bob, Serriadh,, I went round the Blizzard factory a number of years ago in Mittersill, not too far from Zell am See. I am pretty sure the same group owns Salomon so one would have thought there was some cross over. I was in Chamonix in January and Zag were testing and developing prototypes for next season. Not sure exactly where their production is,probably somewhere like Taiwan.
ski holidays
meandrew, I, too, enjoy telling people in threads I am not interested in what they are talking about. Thanks for your contribution.
snow conditions
Bob wrote:
way back in December one of the Ski Gurus in Ischgl, insisted that some of the slamon reange was being produced in Salzburgerland (Austria), any thoughts?

Salomon and Atomic are both owned by Amer Sports, so wouldn't surprise me if some of their skis were made in the Atomic factory near Salzburg (Altenmarkt, I think?).
snow conditions
Pretty much everything but race stuff is done god knows where. Elan has (or at least had till few years ago, no idea about current status) also factory in Austria, and they do skis for many of ski companies, including many "Austrian" companies. Just as well as other companies do different models for Elan. Things are pretty well connected in this business, so it's really hard to know where certain ski is really made.
ski holidays
Had some Head junior skis in front of me yesterday, said in big letters on the tail, "designed in V... Austria" and in smaller letters on the sidewall, "made in the Czech Republic".
latest report
albinomountainbadger, also Elan more or less invented the elliptic shape for the modern carving ski so in a sense everyone ski's a Slovenian ski.

dulcamara, if you want to be bored to tears, you can read the 'build a ski' mammoth thread on SH where feef, I and others committed to building a 'snow heads' ski. There is a ton of info on the whole process and options with contributions of wisdom from some actual ski builders that haunt SH - Idris, for one, and Dot. who posted above and is a bloke not a girl named Dorothy (although, as we have not met, there is a degree of uncertainty).

Many of the more limited run skis are built in smallish workshops rather than factories and are artisan products, e.g. http://www.forktreeskis.com/
latest report
Chepelare................... Madeye-Smiley

Makes the cheap Salomon and Atomic skis........................... BTW all the Atomic boots!

Google "Chepelare".................... the old Pamporova ski factory.
ski holidays
dulcamara, I am led to believe Tunisia for Movement
ski holidays
roche1800, I thought Movement were manufactured in Switzerland?????
latest report
Someone may have mentioned that before wink

The old Tua ski factory in Tunisia now makes skis for Movement and La Sportiva, used to make skis for G3 (who I think have moved production to China now?) and 4FRNT (who now make everything at the Elan factory).

There does seem to be a reference to Movement having a factory in Vevey, Switzerland... Advanced Sliding Technologies, or something. I guess you'd have to find some Movement ski owners and ask then what's written on the topsheets?
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
RattytheSnowRat wrote:
roche1800, I thought Movement were manufactured in Switzerland?????

When I bought mine I was told they were too, 2005 edition of the Movement Gladiator so lots can change in 8 years. Will check the topsheets later.
latest report
Pretty sure it's still "Swiss made" but I easily could be wrong. Maybe they do the components in Africa and then finish them in Switzerland like Japanese cars oop North in the UK?!?! THat way they are technically Swiss made.
snow report
Research etc in Switzerland, manufacture in Tunisia! I broke a pair and had to wait for warranty replacements and dealt with a man in Switzerland at Movement ....
ski holidays
I am not sure why but instinctively I feel that manufacturing skis in north Africa is somehow wrong, very wrong. It's actually prob a better environment given the heat used in the process but for some reason it just repels me.

On the other hand, it does explain all those pictures of mullahs skiing down sand dunes .....
snow conditions
It isn't all hot dry dune sea, you know wink

Here's a trip report I came across a little while ago... http://www.summitpost.org/another-african-adventure-toubkal-winter-ascent/796383 and there's various other bits of more commerically oriented stuff on the interwebs, such as Dynafit's dealer bunfight or this mountain hut blog.

Admittedly, the Atlas mountains are a fair bit colder and higher than the dry hills of Tunisia, but still!
ski holidays
I thought Blizzard skis would have been made in Austria but no...Ukraine! I thought my Atomic boots would be made in Austria but no...Romania. Outsourcing! I guess if you want skis made in an Alpine nation buy Stockli.

https://planetski.eu/2020/10/14/huge-fire-destroys-europes-biggest-ski-factory/
ski holidays
My Blizzard Brahma 82 are made in Ukraine. Salomon QST106 - can’t remember
snow conditions
mooney058 wrote:

I have the same skis
snow conditions
The Amer factory in Bulgaria is making close to 1 mln skis per year. They do mostly Atomic and Salomon
snow conditions
Powder Pete wrote:
mooney058 wrote:

I have the same skis

Good taste Sir! snowHead
ski holidays
The finest in all of skidom!
ski holidays
mooney058 wrote:

Salomon - made in Chepelare, Bulgaria.

Atomic has been producing skis at the factory there since 1980, so I would not worry about where skis have been made... My daughter’s Mantra were made in China, my Bent Chetler 120s in Austria, my Technica Cochise in Hungary and my La Sportiva in Italy, while my Rossi Sky 7HD are Spanish.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy