Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

UK TO fined 7,500€ for not paying staff French minimum wage

Poster: A snowHead
I've worked in French shops for years now and my colleagues are as mixed in their welcome and efficiency as anyone else in the world. They do all recognise with some shame the stereotype of the unfriendly Parisien waiter who will chase you down for a tip afterwards, and the snob of a sales girl who will look you up and down to see if you're worth spending time on, and the check out girl who talks to her colleagues instead of the client - I was witness to the exact conversation only two days ago.
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
albinomountainbadger, yes, exactly the same sort of conversations that are heard from Brits about London/Londoners - you can find plenty of threads on that very topic on SH I'm sure Laughing

I think I've said this on here before but, having now lived in France for a while, it's become automatic to smile and say hello to shop staff when I walk in and thank you/goodbye even if I haven't bought anything. I would never have done this before in shops where I was not a local/regular customer but I now even do it in the West End, where the first member of shop staff you'll encounter is probably a security guard; they will always smile and say hello back (and often look pleasantly surprised to have been acknowledged by a customer).
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Quote:

If you didn't have a GF and tyou had to find somewhere to live you'd have to work ful time which would leave little time to ski.

Not so. I work full time and snowboard five afternoons out of six plus one full day a week. Anyone on split shifts or working bar can ski for the best part of every day.

This speculation about whether or not people can afford to do a season on SMIC is just silly - every resort you have ever visited is full of French people doing just that very thing. What did you think they were living on, fresh air? Those sh:t hot skiers/boarders you see out there are mostly saisonniers as well, and they're that good because they get time to put the hours in. Why do you imagine we'd all do it otherwise?
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Quote:

If you didn't have a GF and tyou had to find somewhere to live you'd have to work ful time which would leave little time to ski.

Not so. I work full time and snowboard five afternoons out of six plus one full day a week. Anyone on split shifts or working bar can ski for the best part of every day.

This speculation about whether or not people can afford to do a season on SMIC is just silly - every resort you have ever visited is full of French people doing just that very thing. What did you think they were living on, fresh air? Those poo-poo hot skiers/boarders you see out there are mostly saisonners as well, and they're that good because they get time to put the hours in. Why do you imagine we'd all do it otherwise?
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Quote:

This speculation about whether or not people can afford to do a season on SMIC is just silly

I don't think that's been suggested by anybody, though many have pointed out that people doing a season on SMIC are often better off than the TO employees.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
pam w wrote:
As for abrogation of human rights, that could be said of just about all employment law.

"Unemployment law" might be more descriptive.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
[quote="Lizzard"]
Quote:

This speculation about whether or not people can afford to do a season on SMIC is just silly - every resort you have ever visited is full of French people doing just that very thing. What did you think they were living on, fresh air? Those sh:t hot skiers/boarders you see out there are mostly saisonniers as well, and they're that good because they get time to put the hours in. Why do you imagine we'd all do it otherwise?

I'm with Lizzard on this, this thread has filled with the hearsay, speculation and arm chair experts talking waffle (me been polite)

If working a season for TO's is so god damn awful why do so many do it and do it more than once? Yes a number in my experience, less than 5% can not handle it but for everyone who sticks it the first few weeks enjoy it and come away with great memories.
Saying that TO's are taking the wee wee is not going to help when they go bust because your catered chalet holiday now costs 3 times as much as before and you will not pay that for your skiing.

Back on Topic - yes I think the French will now go after the TO's on employment law and yes they have every right to.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
I've been a TO rep, assistant resort manager and hotel accountant so stand by every word
TO work is a great way to get out, but it doesn't allow you to stay out unless you're independently wealthy. If it was so profitable the the minimum wage staff from Luton TravelLodge would quit to do it, wouldn't they?

re Smic: most people on French contracts earn a lot more than the Smic because they are invariably paid overtime. Ok I appreciate Lizard might not be, but selling lift passes is almost like being a civil servant! The other jobs, such as hotel staff, bar staff etc will be paying staff on at least 39 hours a week. On a 44 hour contract for example, one is being paid very well indeed and will still have at least one or two full days to ski, not to mention long lunches and free accommodation on top...
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Quote:

your catered chalet holiday now costs 3 times as much as before and you will not pay that for your skiing.

catered chalets aren't the be-all and end-all. In countries where there are very few (e.g. Italy, Austria) ski holidays don't cost any more than they do in France. And if you want to stay in France, there are plenty of French establishments which (presumably) stick broadly to the law and nonetheless manage to provide affordable holidays. French families have traditionally taken advantage of some of the "cheap and cheerful" versions, a kind of holiday camp, and of course Club Med pioneered the all-in concept more than half a century ago. There are also hotels (and there might be more, presumably, to fill a gap left by TO chalets) and any number of apartments to rent, at any level of rent/comfort. Even a small French resort will have excellent "traiteurs" for those who don't want to cook their own dinners (not to mention a range of restaurants).

I can't help feeling the world will continue to turn if British catered chalets are phased out. How have all those Belgian, German, Italian, French, etc etc etc skiers been managing all these years?
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
pam w, we had a couple of chalet holidays and enjoyed them both, but I did find the concept a little strange. Perhaps some of these chalets could be turned into Chambres d'Hotes instead.
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
pam w, Hells Bells, I was recently in a hotel run à la Crystal et al "chalet hotel" in Austria. English owned, run and all the employees are Gap year types? Lovely staff but the owner his wife and daughter have absolutely no idea about service and a warm genuine welcome. All they are interested in is making as big a profit as possible with little effort. Queen Bee and I had to keep looking outside to remind ourselves we were in Austria and not at some downmarket club in the Shires! Food was not Austrian, although we did have a Thai themed evening one night. Presentation of the food was everything, taste and combination of textures was a disaster. Queen Bee as a vegetarian had no choice of meal and had rice every single evening as far as she can remember. It was during this holiday that "Breakfastgate" occurred, so much for solidarity amongst hoteliers!

I also finally came to understand what was meant by the "braying classes" - not a pleasant experience at breakfast or any other meal for that matter!
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
I enjoyed the chalet holidays I had, too - at the time it suited us particularly well because we didn't need to spend much extra money - a big breakfast, then a big chalet tea, meant we needed very little lunch and we didn't have to go out to expensive bars in the evening. Almost all the people we met were at least pleasant, and some were very interesting companions - I met several people I might never have got to know otherwise, including a dairy farmer in the midst of foot and mouth, his wife (a rural midwife) and an impressive group of ambulance people.

I disliked the "chalet hotel" we went to with snowcoach but it was an extraordinarily cheap holiday and we had 8 days skiing and 6 kids who stayed in a dorm room for next to nothing. Chalet hotels seem to me to embody the worst aspects of both chalets and hotels.
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
pam w, friends like the chalet hotels as they get free wine with dinner Puzzled
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
pam w wrote:
Chalet hotels seem to me to embody the worst aspects of both chalets and hotels.

Excuse my ignorance... Embarassed What is a "chalet hotel"?
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
miranda, it's bigger than a chalet and looks like a hotel - with a bar etc. But it's run by seasonnaires and there is a limited choice menu. I've only stayed in a couple of chalet hotels in Courchevel and St Anton, both run by Mark Warner, nice enough, reasonable value for what I got. Oh and the PSB place in Tignes, which was cheap and cheerful.
snow conditions
Pedantica, ah ok, thank you!
ski holidays
miranda, an apartment block with a chalet rep to 'cook and clean'* (*euphemism) your apartment.

Hells Bells, It's amazing how good pink vinegar tastes after the first 'free' pint.
ski holidays
Pedantica, there are 'grades' of chalet hotels . . . Ski Olympic ones are very nice.
snow report
Masque, so I've heard. Actually the hotel used by MW in St Anton is very nice too.
snow report
Pedantica, Spawn O'masque did a season at the Valandry one and highly rated it . . . and he's quite fussy.
snow report
miranda, I think the key point is that they are "hotel sized" but peopled entirely by clients brought in by the TO. One think I disliked intensely about the one I stayed at was the "school canteen" way it worked in the evening. Dinner was at, say, 8 pm. We were with friends, some teenagers and some littler kids who had an early children's tea. The four of us got into the habit of having a gin and tonic in the lounge place, by the fire, before dinner, which was very civilised but invariably meant that we got to the dining room after everybody else, who had been queueing up outside the locked dining room doors till let in. There were a number of quite large, noisy and cliquey groups who would then spread themselves over all the tables (which were all refectory style) and as often as not we'd then have to split up to find places. which would have been OK if the people on the tables hadn't all been part of cliquey groups.... And the food was not good - always had decent food in smaller chalets, sometimes very good food.

I refused to spend the last ten minutes before dinner queuing and jostling outside the dining room doors. The kids had wanted to use the hot tub (can't think why - nasty yucky things) but complained that it was monopolised by some "rude noisy fat kids" who also spent a fair bit of time running up and down the stairs, being badly behaved. I frequently wanted to clip them round the ear. Twisted Evil

In small chalets (typically 12 - 16 guests) we never encountered anything like that. Met plenty of pleasant, civilized, interesting people who had the good manners to ensure nobody was excluded. We did encounter one group of 3 who asked to have their own separate table - which suited us all, as they definitely felt they were a cut above us all, and kept telling us they'd come First Class on Eurostar. They asked how we'd got there (which in our case was by cheapo overnight sleeper from Paris) but I told them that although we'd had 7 hours or so to kill in Paris that had given us the chance to go and have tea with my friend, the British Ambassador. They spent the rest of the week wondering whether to believe me. Laughing
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy