Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Ski helmet with visor

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
I wear glasses but find it impossible to wear them with Ski goggles because misting up. I've tried sprays and wipes to try to solve it but nothing cures it so I don't wear them when skiing which is ok when the light is good but hopeless when light is flat. Effectively I end up skiing not being able to see clearly at all.
I read the older thread about ski helmets with visors. lthough I don't want to look like Darth Vador on the slopes I' seriously thinking of going down that route Has anyone any new comments, thoughts, advice ?
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Are you Russian? I'm not sure non-Russians are allowed visors.

What sort of goggles were you using?
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Contact lenses? I use daily disposables for sports.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Contacts have the added advantage of being able to see when walking into the crowded bar!
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
*whispers* I have a helmet with a visor and I like it.

I hate feeling like my field of vision is restricted so find it very handy in that respect, it's one of the hm2 helmets and really does look utterly terrible. I tend to have the low light visor on the helmet and I take goggles as well so it's really easy to chop and change. Obviously quite pointless for powder though.

Anyway, if you don't mind people pointing and laughing or incredulous looks in the line for the lifts go for it.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
On the first day of a ski holiday I was running late and had a fair bit to carry downstairs (rucksack, bootbag, helmet) so decided to just put my helmet on my head until I'd ditched the bootbag in the ski room and had a free hand. It's a bit like wearing a Christmas party hat, after a while you don't even realize you are wearing it. Got a few laughs at the breakfast table with the helmet on ("Are you having a fitness or freeride breakfast ?"), maybe I can go one better next time with a Ski helmet inc visor next time wink
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Serriadh, I've tried various makes, sizes, types - but still my glasses mist up. Not Russian but being Scottish allows me a dispensation .
snowHead
Lizzard, I have tried contacts but couldn't wear them for any length of time without inflamation. Basically I'm a wimp.
Boardban, Never had ANY problems navigating acrowded bar. ( see reference to nationality above.!) I can hunt down a 12 year old malt in a Blizzard.
MeMyselfandI, I'm quite used to people giggling when I ski anyway (usually my family)

Thanks for the info everyone. Off to ski and rock this afternoon to give the staff there the opportunity to point and ridicule.

Any other advice comments gratefully received.
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
I've no specific experience with glasses as I use contact lenses.

You could try goggles with built-in fans, which may be better at keeping what's inside mist free. I've used a pair of those and they're fine. They are quite common in heli-skiers, although you don't actually need them if you don't fall over. Best bought from the discount bin at REI if you can, as the retail price is high, the UK price higher.

I've used the Bolle helmet with the built-in visor, which works fine, even in "over the head" powder. I didn't try it in very cold conditions, and I'm slightly concerned about how that would work. The main issue for me is that the visors are large so carrying a dark and a light one would be a hassle. That said, before removable lens goggles arrived I used to make one pair work each day, so that's a minor gripe. Handling was pretty easy, with no obvious scratches to the visors etc. in normal use.

As far as how they look... I will look to see if I have a photo somewhere. When people point and stare I assume it's because they've never seen a snowboarder who can rip before.

This season I ended up wearing traditional Anon goggles most of the time as they gave me a pair with field-changeable lenses. I'd been looking for photochromics as changing light is my main beef with goggles. However these work great, I just switch the lenses when the light changes.
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Brian T, did you persevere at all with the contact lenses? If so, fairy nuff, but otherwise there are many different brands made from different materials and with various coatings. Some people (including me) have to try several types before finding one that can be worn all day, and I'm still waiting for the manufacturer to produce a toric version, but I digress.

If you haven't already done this, speak to your optician about more trials.

Oh, and Rule 5 Toofy Grin
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Brian T, A contact is looking into skiing goggles magnification rather like the ones used for diving; I do not think it will ever get to a prescription but +1 +2 +3 may be a possibility
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Many thanks everyone.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
I wear a Bolle with a visor, advantages over gogles are:

Clears my glasses
Better peripheral vison
Doesn't mist up

I've not had funny looks on the slopes (unless I've missed them, highly possible)

Only negative comments I've had have been on this forum.

I love mine and wouldn't be with out it. If there are snowHead who don't like it, that's their problem not mine. Toofy Grin

snowHead
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy