Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

ESF - Make your thoughts known to them.

Poster: A snowHead
pam w wrote:
what I don't understand is why some SHs who have chosen to ski elsewhere spend such a lot of time whinging about France.

Exactly my point. The people who ski in France, and therefore obviously acknowledge the positives, but who can't help but bang on about the negatives are tedious; the ones who have long-since turned their backs on France and STILL bang on about all the negatives just sound, well, a bit bitter, and in need of some sort of post break-up counselling. Confused

fatbob wrote:
pam w, Why are you extrapolating a whinge about the protectionist attitude of a certain very specific subset of the French and the consequent impact it has on certain British (& Dutch, Scandi etc presumably) holidaymakers, making their holiday experience less enjoyable or more costly, to an accusation amounting to xenophobia or hatred of a country?

Because every thread on here whingeing about the ESF and their support for the case against hosting also involves further whinges about "the French" and all the other stuff?
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Quote:

Why are you extrapolating a whinge about the protectionist attitude of a certain very specific subset of the French and the consequent impact it has on certain British (& Dutch, Scandi etc presumably) holidaymakers, making their holiday experience less enjoyable or more costly, to an accusation amounting to xenophobia or hatred of a country?

I don't think I am, in general. Some complaints and discussion about this "ski hosting" issue have been, as you suggest, very specific and stuck to the point. However, quite a lot of the comments have been generalised anti-French whinges. "The French have shot themselves in the foot" etc etc etc

It is rare to find any xenophobic comments on SHs about any country other than France. The place is littered with observations about "the French" of a kind you are unlikely to find about "the Italians" or "the Austrians" and would rightly be entirely horrified to find about "the Jews" or "the blacks".

Incidentally, I don't think many Dutch or Scandis would have taken advantage of the British TOs ski hosting services. Not that that has any bearing on the matter, really.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
pam w, but the Dutch and Scandis have their own hosting service which presumably are also affected.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Club Med has a particularly good guiding service provided by the ESF including group 4, an expert off-piste group which tends to run 5 hour non stop outings.

Last edited by You need to Login to know who's really who. on Thu 21-02-13 14:29; edited 1 time in total
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
It's a shame the ESF have banned ski-hosting. But we must respect there laws and generosity of cheeses to the world. Let the red jackets reign supreme.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
& so who on this thread or t'other has specifically said it's down to the French, "don't like them, don't like the country", other than perhaps for comic effect (of course you can have your own opinion as to whether that joke is wearing a bit thin). What is seems we have is a bunch of French property owners who it's probably not unreasonable to assume are Francophiles (plus haggis trap who is obviously auld alliance wink ) lining up to accuse others of French hating.

I enjoy skiing in France, I dislike ESF instructors blocking the entire width of the piste with an oversized class snake, I like Tartiflette and Comte, I think some prices charged on mountain for a beer are outrageous, I like chatting to French ski enthusiasts on chairlifts (including ESF instructors), I sometimes find French service delightful, I sometimes find it surly and begrudging - these opinions are not mutually incompatible.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Does flowa own a property in France?

flowa wrote:

Can we stop the gross racial generalisations now? I'm all for moaning about ESF but I love skiing and holidaying in France. The ESF issue is not a "bl**dy French" issue. I wish we could elevate the level of our discourse to cater for the distinction rolling eyes... It just disappoints me that snowHeads comes off as such a xenophobic site...

I don't think some of the comments about "the French" on SH are intended purely for comic effect (of course you can have your own opinion about whether they are).
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
[quote="pam w"]
Quote:

It is rare to find any xenophobic comments on SHs about any country other than France. The place is littered with observations about "the French" of a kind you are unlikely to find about "the Italians" or "the Austrians" and would rightly be entirely horrified to find about "the Jews" or "the blacks".

Yeah, maybe, but "the Eastern Europeans" seem to be the new Jews/Blacks/select your pet prejudice here...just about every ski crime in town seems to lead there...
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
davidof, Those were the words of a senior employee of STGM (don't want to identify specifically as it was a private conversation) - in a response to question about race pistes being open to all when not fenced off for racing.

Last edited by You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net. on Thu 21-02-13 15:10; edited 1 time in total
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Claude B wrote:
The Fail was actually more restrained than I expected them to be.

Yeah, this wouldn't have happened if Diana was still alive...
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Cynic wrote:
Club Med has a particularly good guiding service provided by the ESF including group 4, an expert off-piste group which tends to run 5 hour non stop outings.

They do use other local instructors too. In Tignes, I know the two lads I ski with do guiding for Club Med.
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
I really dont care.
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Quote:

who on this thread or t'other has specifically said it's down to the French

fatbob, the following are from t'other thread - and I'm sure there would be many more, if I could be bothered to trawl through it all

The french will continue to do things their way, and never let common sense get in the way of ill-perceived self-interest.

The problem with the French is that they have no word for "entrepreneur".

It's not just the ESF that p*ss people off, practice protectionism, and act arsey. THAT is a French trait it appears.

Quote:
Where's the logic to that argument?

Welcome to France.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
NIMBY . . . is a universal trait.
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Masque wrote:
NIMBY . . . is a universal trait.

isn't this more IMBY? wink
ski holidays
Guys - as you will have seen, things are escalating:
http://news.sky.com/story/1073885/british-ski-coach-arrested-at-french-resort
-as I understand it this is a slightly different law change than the guiding one affecting Le Ski, but potentially devastating for many small companies running ski holidays in France. Can I ask that as many of you as possible have a look at this e-petition:
http://epetitions.direct.gov.uk/petitions/48061
and consider signing it? And if you agree, publicise it - forward the link on to everyone you know with an interest in skiing in France. thanks.
ski holidays
I'm not sure which I like least - deployment of a (military) police force to enforce petty protectionist commercial agendas or petitioning your own government to do something about some foreigners who might upset your holiday plans a little bit.

Still I might try it

Dear Dave,

I was thinking about trying out a bit of ski touring north of Kabul. Could you fix it for me to ensure that none of those Taliban jonnies poo-poo in my skin track?
snow report
pam w wrote:
Quote:

who on this thread or t'other has specifically said it's down to the French

fatbob, the following are from t'other thread - and I'm sure there would be many more, if I could be bothered to trawl through it all

The french will continue to do things their way, and never let common sense get in the way of ill-perceived self-interest.

The problem with the French is that they have no word for "entrepreneur".

It's not just the ESF that p*ss people off, practice protectionism, and act arsey. THAT is a French trait it appears.

Quote:
Where's the logic to that argument?

Welcome to France.

Parfait!! Laughing
snow report
Quote:

http://epetitions.direct.gov.uk/petitions/48061
and consider signing it? And if you agree, publicise it - forward the link on to everyone you know with an interest in skiing in France. thanks.

If the wording on the petition was at least accurate, it might have a chance of someone taking some notice of it.

The instructing side of things - The French are not allowing those without the full qualifications to teach - simple and fair.

See this thread - http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=99649#2275078
snow report
Philbo wrote:
The instructing side of things - The French are not allowing those without the full qualifications to teach - simple and fair.

On the contrary, they are allowing those without a full qualification to teach: provided they do so under the auspices of a "centre de formation", for which, I understand, the ratio of ISTDs to others must be more than 10:1 and the principals must have graduated through French schools themselves. That is neither simple nor fair. Some might say blatantly discriminatory against new entrants and foreign establishments, which would be contrary to EU law.
ski holidays
laundryman is of course right but the petition is itself appalling misusing the word guide, attributing the complaint against the ESF, a franchise rather than the appropriate French authority and conflating the 2 separate issues of TO ski hosting and instruction in a confusing way. Not to mention the dropping of de de.
ski holidays
fatbob, yes, most unfortunate.
snow report
fatbob wrote:
What is seems we have is a bunch of French property owners who it's probably not unreasonable to assume are Francophiles (plus haggis trap who is obviously auld alliance wink ) lining up to accuse others of French hating.

QFT
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy