Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Worst drag lifts: nominations needed

Poster: A snowHead
Hells Bells - yep we were on the Pres du Bois to avoid the queue at the Cretes drag to get back to Chantremerle. The alarms bells should of been ringing as we were the only two people anywhere near it!
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
snow_promise, missed your post on Pré du Bois. Thankfully most of the awful drags in Serre CHevalier have already been replaced.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Masque wrote:
I never saw it Evil or Very Mad but for those that saw Frosty the Snowman and his companion (who?) . . . both BIG fellas snap the rope on the T'bar in L2A on a steep bit . . . attest that it was a moment to cherish Twisted Evil Twisted Evil Twisted Evil forever

It was II. Indeed a moment to cherish.

Laughing Laughing
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Quote:

près de bois in Serre Chevalier.

1. is super steep
2. it pulls, slows almost to a stop,and then launches you forward again without any warning
3. you need to navigate over a narrow bridge right at the start
4. it goes through pretty dense trees so if you come off you are pretty well stuck, and also they cant get any machine up there so it becomes rutted.

It was not a lot of fun on a snowboard (I came off twice right at the start and then stayed on all the way). However, there was a helpful lifties, which is definately rare in France!

You wimp! Very Happy

We lapped that about 7 times the other week to access the trees either side in all the lovely fresh Saturday snow. +1 for the friendly liftie; smiles rather than shouts at peope using the bridge to exit the trees and cross the stream. Was busy tho, decent queue all morning due to high winds closing many chairs and new snow.

I honestly didn't think it was that bad? Why does the bridge make it any harder than normal?

I think I up up-skilled on drags by growing up on the SSV half height drag on the first encounter and the T bar on the main slope, plus several summers in L2A where you woudl be on the T with another snowboarder then TWO more would swoop down and get on with you so you are seriously overloaded and can only hope for the best.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Why are drag lifts worthy of mention?

Easier than walking.

Rule 5
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
CaurnieBred wrote:
ed123 wrote:
Extreme left of Hochgurgl- the T-bar of doom.

Agree with this one - a lovely slope to ski once you got up it but the T-Bar was awful

Thirded. I snowboard in Scotland, so I know a horrible drag lift when I see one, but this take the wee wee
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Quote:

There was one in Glenshee that was a killer. Basically it tried to yank you off your feet, then had a downhill bit which left you moving in front of the pole. So when you received the second yank you fell over.

These days a lot of skiers and boarders have never really learned to use draglifts properly rolling eyes The secret with Pomas is to ensure your skis or board is moving as they engage, to avoid launch.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
The dreaded Vorderer Wurmkogl T bar. It's not too bad if there are two people on it but alone it's torture. I once stayed at the hotel Wurmkogl close to the base station and took it every morning.

mckeann wrote:
CaurnieBred wrote:
ed123 wrote:
Extreme left of Hochgurgl- the T-bar of doom.

Agree with this one - a lovely slope to ski once you got up it but the T-Bar was awful

Thirded. I snowboard in Scotland, so I know a horrible drag lift when I see one, but this take the wee wee
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
sarah wrote:
Don't like Gros Murger in La Tania, vicious start and long, don't really see the point of it as there is the gondola and last few times I have been there it has been closed anyway.

I found Gros Murger very handy, as it meant we could hop off just next to chalet door and avoid any walking. Very Happy I agree it has a bit of a jerky start. Skiing back down the drag tow run to the chalet when the tow was closed was more tricky though. :
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Quote:

The Tbar on the Glacier is unpleasant also. Slow, Flat (almost down hill) and very cold when I was there!

+1 for this one in Zermatt. Absolutely perishingly cold when we were there, too. And long.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
sarah wrote:
Don't like Gros Murger in La Tania, vicious start and long, don't really see the point of it as there is the gondola and last few times I have been there it has been closed anyway.

You don't have to mess about taking your skis off, you don't have to queue and it's a pretty ride. Give me that over the gondola every time!
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
swiftoid wrote:
sarah wrote:

You don't have to mess about taking your skis off, you don't have to queue and it's a pretty ride. Give me that over the gondola every time!

Yeh to be fair, I'll give you that Smile I remember being on it once in lightly falling snow and (after getting over the start!) thinking how peaceful it was going up through the trees, no one else around, now that is nice.

Also hadn't thought of it being a quick lift up to some of the chalets sugarmoma666

A lot of comments about the Zermatt T bars, I didn't much mind them.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Three of my "favourites" have been mentioned:
Flaine - the one through the trees at the bottom of the tennis courts - a very long walk out Embarassed
Zermatt glacier -long flat and cold Skullie
La Ros/La Thuile - one of our party fell off "on purpose" - we didn't believe him Twisted Evil
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Freddie Paellahead wrote:

La Ros/La Thuile - one of our party fell off "on purpose" - we didn't believe him Twisted Evil

Probably nodded off Toofy Grin
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Andy - there is as horrid one on the return from Morgins to Chatel in PdeS - was that the one you were thinking about - last time I was there you went aerial at the beginning before bumping down for a second bounce. I think most of the bad Wengen and Muereen ones have now been dealt with - the Tschuggen is just long and inconvenient but not evil. Still of to PdeS in ten days so will see if that drag is still there or whether it has been dampened in some way.
snow report
Peter S wrote:
These days a lot of skiers and boarders have never really learned to use draglifts properly rolling eyes.

Too true. Hilarious in the US, where they've never had many surface lifts, when you see holidaymakers unable to catch even simple roped pomas or T-bars. Almost impossible to find people who are willing or able to ride 2 up on a T Bar. As cash gets tight more resorts now seem to be using surface lifts to expand uplift into more interesting terrain with a big mismatch between those that can and those that can't. Keeps things fresher and boarder free in some instances.
ski holidays
countryman wrote:
Andy - there is as horrid one on the return from Morgins to Chatel in PdeS - was that the one you were thinking about - last time I was there you went aerial at the beginning before bumping down for a second bounce. I think most of the bad Wengen and Muereen ones have now been dealt with - the Tschuggen is just long and inconvenient but not evil. Still of to PdeS in ten days so will see if that drag is still there or whether it has been dampened in some way.

My husband confirms that this lift in Morgins is still there, he was on it twice last week (he is still intact- just Skullie ).
snow report
A certain female friend of mine had and extremely plesant experience with a poma thanks to it being rather old and rattley and she being in posession of a rather intimate piece of jewellry. She also fell off, but it didn't stop her trying again. Will guarantee you've never seen a snowboarder so keen to use a poma...
latest report
Slush in January from Torgrim Aanestad
http://vimeo.com/19132000#t=78 Smile - Fast forward to 1:18 in if you're using embedded video, which for some annoying reason doesn't obey the time parameter in the URL
snow report
Another vote for Serre Chevalier.

Although I think the lft was Barres - it was a while ago though, so my memory could be playing tricks.

Every skier was lifted several feet in the air on lift off! A snow boarded tried and failed about 10 times.......as the lift grew!
snow conditions
Piccadilly wrote:
Russeh wrote:
Theres one in La Plagne that goes up a fairly long steep hill, you get to the top of that and realise it keeps going for another 1000 yards Laughing To be honest though nothing beats the catapult style ones in scotland on the nevis range

If you mean the Z (I think), it's been removed now.

Worst one I remember was in Montgenvre, we called it the "kick in the @ss" lift, because it was so violent it launched you into the air, both skis off the ground!

+1 for the one in Monty.
Up a steep black, launches you in the air several times, one of which is on a sharp bend....interesting!!!
latest report
Surface lifts of various designs add character and interest to an area. How boring it would be if all lifts were big ugly straight chairlifts snowHead
ski holidays
Is it just my imagination or do a lot of Swiss resorts have a penchant for drag lifts? Zermatt, Saas Fee and Davos all come to mind. The glacier lift in Zermatt was horrible as is this ridiculously long drag in Davos. French resorts *seem* to have fewer.
snow conditions
Would be interested to hear exactly why the Saas Fee drag lifts are pants (it's on my list of places to go because chairs are the devil and must be avoided).

Surely a nomination for worst drag lift requires some kind of mastery of kickers and freestyle to reach the top intact?
ski holidays
Cretes in La Plagne as already covered by Boredsurfing.
Schwarzwasserlift in Ischgl - should be a flat drag but over a surface like the sea, so you're constantly overtaking the rag/yank as it overtakes you.
latest report
Chasseur wrote:
The double drag between La Rosiere and La Thuile takes some beating. Lonnngg and flat. Take a good book.

Seconded.

Also my 15 stone mate got lifted clean off his feet and catapulted through the air. I don't know how he managed to do it but it was hillarious.
ski holidays
gangstarrrrr wrote:
Is it just my imagination or do a lot of Swiss resorts have a penchant for drag lifts? Zermatt, Saas Fee and Davos all come to mind. The glacier lift in Zermatt was horrible as is this ridiculously long drag in Davos. French resorts *seem* to have fewer.

My understanding is that glacial areas have drags as they can't install chairs as the terrain is shifting. Someone will know in more detail.
ski holidays
Nobody appears to have nominated the Carpark T-bar on CairnGorm yet, novices to the tows have cursed this thing for decades! Not just a T-bar serving green runs, but one of the steepest parts of the uptrack is downhill which is a spectator sport in it's own right, the steepest part of the track is the climb onto the off ramp which happens to be the narrowest point on one of the busiest green trails on the hill as well as a junction between several runs/tows.

The up-down-flat-up uptrack!

http://youtube.com/v/qDa1Ej2XY54

^Carpark Tow unloading on the bottom leg of the Zig Zags. Toofy Grin
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Portillo has the hardest drag lift to ride and disembarking takes some getting used to but it is a short, fast trip. Zermatt has some ridiculously long drag lifts that should be replaced by chairs. One ride lasted about 20 minutes. Another serves only steep, bump runs. Last thing I need after a long bump run is a drag lift.
latest report
dave_m wrote:
Another vote for Serre Chevalier.

Although I think the lft was Barres - it was a while ago though, so my memory could be playing tricks.

Every skier was lifted several feet in the air on lift off! A snow boarded tried and failed about 10 times.......as the lift grew!

Barres was indeed a little 'brisk' at the start, if I recall correctly, but not too bad. Conversely, the worst one I experienced there in Serre Chevalier was Mea (the drag which takes you up to the Pre Jeanne blue). Very steep and a left turn in it - was the scene of my ski class's most spectacular (and amusing) pile up last year...

chemistry
snow conditions
...more generally, I don't know where this one is, but it looks rather fierce at 'launch'...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=HFxvtnpLBSw

chemistry
ski holidays
chemistry Laughing

Roc Noir at La Rosiere has a bit of fire power behind it and I've seen it take lots of people off their feet (me included).

The t-bar that runs parallel to the "Skogis" unpisted run in AreBjornen in Sweden has some miserably steep inclines on it as well. I've seen lots of people trying (and failing) to make their way down 40 + degree slopes after falling off.
latest report
Chasseur wrote:
The double drag between La Rosiere and La Thuile takes some beating. Lonnngg and flat. Take a good book.

+1 for this.

Sorry, only just found the thread Embarassed

Also there is (was) a double drag in La Ros that used to dump 50% of people straight off again! Maybe the one that Crell has just mentioned?
snow report
Quote:

more generally, I don't know where this one is, but it looks rather fierce at 'launch'...

Laughing but that's not the launch - it's because some dope decided to ignore the instructions about not leaving or picking up a perch half way. Serve him right. Little Angel
latest report
Bardonecchia - the drag at the top of the first chair from Campo Smith. Though I was being dragged to the moon!
ski holidays
pam w,

Ah, yes! I stand corrected...still funny though!

chemistry
snow conditions
Saas fee drag R

Not the verrrrrrrry long one

This one takes you up a steep pitch at the end and the disembarkation point is a narrow boulevard that you either escape perpendicularly onto, hopefully with no one coming along , or you get pulled up the vertical face in the far side of the boulevard

If it was a button it would be fine, but it is a T, which means that gentlement like me have to let mrs sev112 off first leavin me to face plant the face
snow conditions
pam w wrote:
Le Seigneur, Flumet. Very long, very steep, very narrow, only way down if you fall off is a short hike through woods followed by descent of a quite difficult and often ungroomed black piste. And try again....

seconded....yet to have a go at it but looks like a nightmare!
snow conditions
A very long drag in Dizin (Iran) had a short but steep downhill section, so you over ski the pole and squeeze your nuts and often bang your nose. But you've got no time to rearrange your bits as the pull stops dead at the bottom while you have to shuffle round 90 degrees and wait for the jerk (springs all knackered years ago) in the new direction. Nasty. And when (not if) you fell over, it was a long long way to a piste. Evil or Very Mad
snow report
The loooong Gers drag in Flaine on the day it broke down 100% at 3.30pm.

The only way to ski out brings you totally the wrong side of the whole lift system, and at that time of day 0% chance of getting back to Flaine by lifts.

On that dat THAT was the worst drag ever!

Every other day...legend!
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy