Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Decent pair of salopettes

Poster: A snowHead
Looking to get a decent pair of salopettes for my next ski trip since the OH also needs some too. Has anyone got any recommendations for a reasonable pair of mens salopettes for sub £100 and the same for womens salopettes. Note that i desperately need them to be waterproof as i keep ending up with a very wet bum atm. I'm also not the smallest of ladies so none of these tiny salopettes that only fit tiny people Neh Neh
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Becstar, do you really want salopettes? They're such a pain sometimes - a pair of trousers might be easier. Are you in the UK? I'd go to T K Maxx or one of the outlet stores, there are plenty of decent waterproof trousers for under £100 - but you do need to try them on, as I find even when they are ostensibly the same size, different makes come up really different. Make sure you have room for long johns underneath, and that they are loose enough that you can squat right down comfortably.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Look on the sportpersuit website; usually good deals at either end of the price/quality/performance/style range
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Check out the Sweet Protection bargains on Sport Pursuit.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I spose that buying online is OK if you're a very standard size, or not too bothered about fit. I'm a very standard size 12 but typically find that of half a dozen pairs of trousers I try on, only one fits really well.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
I was thinking of maybe going for these for me...

http://www.trespass.co.uk/womens-moonlight-02130
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
pam w, most brands seem to have a certain fitting style, so once you've tried on a couple of things in shops you can buy from them online in reasonable confidence. Ie I know Patagonia just doesn't fit me, too boxy - one of the few brands where the small fits my shoulders, but is them too short, medium is the right length but then far too baggy (most brands are the opposite, small is the right length but I need medium to fit my shoulders).
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Surfanic.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Keela Munro salopettes at 99 quid at:

http://www.lochnessferrycompanyclothing.co.uk/product.asp?pID=108&cID=42
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Becstar, I've had Trespass jackets, which were comfortable and wore very well. Those look a good shape.
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
We have a trespass store nearby in Poole so i might pop down there and see if i can suss out sizings and have a closer look at what they have
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Becstar - If you are going to Poole there is a huge new Go Outdoors shop at the back of Sainsburys car park - definitely worth a visit.

http://www.gooutdoors.co.uk/skiing/clothing/salopettes
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Becstar, I have been pleasantly surprised at the quality of Trespass and also the "own make" stuff from Mountain Warehouse. My TK Maxx does not now have any ski wear, it had some in December Sad
I had an old pair of expensive trousers from Blacks which had simply worn out and were giving me a wet bum on chairlifts. I bit the bullet on holiday in France and bought some Sun Valley trousers. They were €169 but worth every cent..Waterproof, warm and I haven't yet resorted to Long Johns even in very cold temperatures.
Don't get them too tight, you need a bit of air space and also dinner space! Blush
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Go to a North Face store at the end of feb/ beginning of march. Everything gets discounted, I got a jacket for half price last year and salopettes were down from £140 to around £60-£70.
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
I have been using the own brand mountain warehouse for the past couple of trips. They were ok for the money but I seemed to keep getting a wet bum and the OH split his in half!!! Have a go outdoors card so will pop in there while in Poole too.
snow report
...or Cotswold Outdoor in Bournemouth - they certainly had loads of jackets last time I went in. I imagine they do trousers as well. Also a few places to try at Castle Point; TK Maxx, Mountain Warehouse, Sports Direct.

SnowTrax are worth a look as well.
latest report
Becstar wrote:
I have been using the own brand mountain warehouse for the past couple of trips. They were ok for the money but I seemed to keep getting a wet bum and the OH split his in half!!! Have a go outdoors card so will pop in there while in Poole too.

Have you washed and re proofed your current ones Becstar?

The amount of people who don't know or bother to reproof their waterproofs is staggering

Basically you should treat your waterproofs in the same way as you would shoes or walking boots, ie, proof them as often as you'd wax/oil or your boot or polish your shoes.

Try it...you might be surprised wink
snow report
Ratae Corieltauvorum, what do you use to re-proof??
I currently have a 3 year old Tenson jacket which I think is in need of reproofing before I venture off in a couple of weeks..
Have previously gone to our Wilkinson's store and purchased some waterproofing spray of the shoe polish isle, but not sure if this is ideal but it did work a bit..
Could anyone else shed any light on what they use? Seen previous posts about Nic-wax causing the 'boil in a bag effect', so was wondering..?
snow report
Simon94 wrote:
Ratae Corieltauvorum, what do you use to re-proof??
I currently have a 3 year old Tenson jacket which I think is in need of reproofing before I venture off in a couple of weeks..
Have previously gone to our Wilkinson's store and purchased some waterproofing spray of the shoe polish isle, but not sure if this is ideal but it did work a bit..
Could anyone else shed any light on what they use? Seen previous posts about Nic-wax causing the 'boil in a bag effect', so was wondering..?

Browse around Grangers website, and their customer services are pretty good too. Various materials and methods of laminating require subtle treatments, and the most common step that people miss is activating the proofing with the 20degC tumble dry cycle
ski holidays
Try surfanic, I was after a pair of sallopets for £90 and ended up buying a full priced jacket for £99 and paying £1 for the pants.
latest report
One of the reasons I mentioned Surfanic also was some/most of there stuff has a high waterproofness... 10,000 iirc. When I've looked at others they often don't state or are 3,000/5,000.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy