Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Ted Ligety is legendary now . . .

Poster: A snowHead
adie wrote:
Watched him last night on ski sunday and loved his carved skid coming into some of the gates. I'm sure there is a technical term for it that someone here can enlighten me on. In very simplistic terms it kind of looked like a hockey stop at mach 10 mid carve to scrub speed coming into a gate.

It's called a 'Stivot' turn. A pivoted skid on edge....sort of. Used more this year because of the longer ski lengths.

Have met Shred a couple of times and he's a top bloke imho.... very down to earth.

As for the position.... instead of just angulating using pressure control and steering, I believe there is an element of downward pressure from the inner thigh.... pushing downward into the ice. Heard some racers talking about it the other day. Who knows... it certainly makes him the best by far.
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
DB wrote:
Fattes13,

Yes pretty much agree although without Ligety America would have been even further down the results table than Austria without Hirscher.

Not necessarily on Golds. Austria may not have one either of their two golds without Hirscher whereas the US would have tallied one from Shiffrin.

The results are pretty much reflective of the World Cup Season so far. The US have won 15 world cup races from 5 different skiers. Austria have won 9 world cup races from 4 different skiers. I don't think Austria should whinge too much. The expected home advantage didn't really materialise into more golds than the season's form guide may have indicated but it's hardly a shameful result. They were favoured in two events coming into the event, the team and the men's slalom. They won both. They also picked up several minor medals as expected. If there's any team that's in crisis mode right now it's Switzerland.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
IrishEskimo,

Reckon Austria would have would the team event without Hirscher but yes one Silver for the Swiss is a very bad result for them.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
IrishEskimo wrote:
If there's any team that's in crisis mode right now it's Switzerland.

With the French pinching themselves wondering how they've done so well?
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Austria is not in as much s**t as Switzerland is, not by a country mile. Apart from Lara Gut's medal, they missed out on everything, the men scoring a nice consistent 0 as they have been doing in the World Cup as well.

The Austrian programme has lots of good youngsters fighting to get into the squads, it will bounce back. Once Vonn (if she makes it back) and Ligety go, all the US have on offer is Schiffrin.

There are always going to be transition years when one or another of the Alpine nations does badly. The French have gone through it repeatedly and always come back. I hope the Swiss sort out whatever is causing their drought and the Austrians need to get rid of the current ÖSV president incumbent. He is a bloody embarrassment to everyone, possibly excuseable if he is proved to be suffering from dementia. But he has to go and quickly!
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
I think Austria is just starving for more star power and right now all of the focus is being channeled on Hirscher (especially with Schild's ongoing injury difficulties). In the past they've typically had two, three, or even four people to soak that up. Anna Fenninger flirts with being the IT girl on the women's side but she's not really what you call a banker in any event even though she's fairly steady and always a medal threat.

Austria definitely needs to improve in speed, particularly downhill. I think the struggles of Elisabeth Görgl mean that for now only Fenninger in the Super G is much of a consistent threat for the women. The men have Reichelt and Mayer that can step on the podium on any given day in the Super G but are hardly star material for the moment though Mayer may change that at some point. But presently DH looks bleak for both men and women. If they had been better in the speed in Schladming they may have channeled it into momentum rather than a creeping sense of doom whilst continuing to pile the pressure onto poor Marcel as the salvager at the end of the Championships. But the truth is Austria did well even if it would have liked a few more skiers to reach the top of the podium.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
What about Klaus Kröll who won the DH last year, currently 3rd in the DH cup standings and was almost in the medals (4th)?
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Forgot about him. Probably because he seems to be slipping in form. He has a 2nd and a tie for third this year on the WC circuit. Compared to three wins and several podiums last year. And world champion in SG the year before. If he can rediscover similar form again it would certainly help.
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
DB wrote:
What about Klaus Kröll who won the DH last year, currently 3rd in the DH cup standings and was almost in the medals (4th)?

He was 1.65sec behind only medal that counts Wink So being 4th is pretty much same as being 15th or going out. For Austrians, especially on home WCH, only gold counted in DH. Even though after first week, they changed their opinion, and 6 golds Very Happy from team event was more important then anything Smile
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
primoz,

We are talking about who has the best chances next time round. Sometimes the older members of the team find very good form again (e.g. Cuche and Matt) Kröll won the DH trophy last year, is third in the DH Table at the moment and came 4th in the World Champs. It's who puts the best performance in on the day, hence the reason many no-names pick up medals (which I like). On that basis I'd say Kröll has more chance than most. Possibly more than Fenniger (who is 5th in the women's DH table) although I must admit he doesn't look anywhere near as good as Anna. Very Happy Zettel too recieved less attention than Fenniger although her chances were probably greater (Second in the Slalom cup standings to Maze).
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
DB wrote:

On that basis I'd say Kröll has more chance than most. Possibly more than Fenniger (who is 5th in the women's DH table) although I must admit he doesn't look anywhere near as good as Anna. Very Happy Zettel too recieved less attention than Fenniger although her chances were probably greater (Second in the Slalom cup standings to Maze).

Scratching my head here wondering how you could think Kröll's medal chances were greater than AF's in Schladming. Fenninger is more of a Super G/Giant Slalom skier so the odd good result for Anna in Downhill is really a bonus. I disagree that Kröll's chances to medal were greater given that Fenninger actually raced in four events to his one. Both were defending world champions heading into Schladming but only one was really skiing like it. Fenninger has been much better this year than Kröll. She is currently in 4th place in the overall and probably will finish in the top 3 by year's end after Vonn's injury. He is in 15th place in the men's overall with about half the points. Kröll has one silver and one tie for bronze this year on the FIS. Both in the downhill. Fenninger has one gold, two silvers, and three bronzes from three events. So 6 podiums including one victory (in GS). Zettel is just behind Fenninger in the overall but Anna had been skiing much better than Zettel heading into the championships. I'm sure Fenninger's looks help but as of now the results indicate that she's been the best Austrian female this season. She is much more consistent than Kröll and the odds of her securing a medal were certainly greater than his based on recent form and the fact that she's a multi-event threat.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
In response to your comment about the Austrian team ....

IrishEskimo wrote:
But presently DH looks bleak for both men and women.

When comparing Krölll and Fenniger I was talking specifically about their DH chances.

Zettel is currently 2nd in the GS Cup standings (not SL as I posted earlier Embarassed) and 3rd in the Combined, less points overall but in fewer disciplines. Fair point about Fenniger, she has been on much better form than Zettel recently.

I see the Swiss trainer was sacked .....
http://derstandard.at/1361240766131/Schweizer-Chef-Trainer-Osi-Inglin-gefeuert
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Quote:

I see the Swiss trainer was sacked .....

Yep sadly the problem the Swiss have had this year is two big injuries the loss of Cuche and the Iceman not performing.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
DB wrote:
In response to your comment about the Austrian team ....

IrishEskimo wrote:
But presently DH looks bleak for both men and women.

When comparing Krölll and Fenniger I was talking specifically about their DH chances.

Zettel is currently 2nd in the GS Cup standings (not SL as I posted earlier Embarassed) and 3rd in the Combined, less points overall but in fewer disciplines. Fair point about Fenniger, she has been on much better form than Zettel recently.

You mentioned how Fenninger receives more attention. But really, even if Zettel and Kröll had a better chance in one specific event, Anna had a better chance of medaling in Schladming because she has more opportunities (and thus better odds). She's also secured more FIS points and more podiums than either this year so this season she has been the better skier. So she may receive additional attention because of her good looks but really on the basis of results it is also completely merited.
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
IrishEskimo,

Fenniger v Kröll - as said before I was talking about downhill. Fenniger was hyped at least as much as Kröll although she only had an outsiders chance. Kröll was a real contender (4th in the actual event, only 0.16 off first pace yesterday)

Zettel v Fenniger - both had chances in 3 events. If Vonn hadn't of injured herself Fenniger's chances would have been much lower and it's possible she wouldn't have brought back the bronze. Zettel finished just behind Fenninger in that event and also achieved two top ten places in her other two events (event though she came down with an illness and wasn't 100%). Again Fenniger was hyped as if her chances were 20 times greater than Zettel.

I suspect Austria is hungry for a female skier who can finally beat the international competition (Vonn, Maze, Mancuso etc) both on the snow and in a bikini.
snow report
I really like him. Doesn't take himself to seriously and has good sense of humour. Take a look at this clip when he and Svindall and James Hiem have a mess about.

youtube.com/v/TfMfmIueLTI
snow report
Claffster, Laughing at Ted pulling his pants down
latest report
I like the way the Grand prize appeared out of nowhere Laughing
ski holidays
Claffster, lovely. Thanks for posting. Very Happy
snow report
Here's part 2 enjoy!

youtube.com/v/A6JP-UOvnD4
ski holidays
Claffster, 2 great clips Laughing
snow report
Claffster, fabulous! What great guys! Very Happy
latest report
Now you know what all those 'Inside Out' one leg drills are for . . . Rob and Scott are frustrated Ski Ballet Principal Danseur Noble . . . wink
ski holidays
I have an idea for a new clinic...
snow report
Masque, c0Ka|Ne, Shhhhh!!!!

Claffster, Really great clips, thank you! snowHead
latest report
Masque wrote:
Now you know what all those 'Inside Out' one leg drills are for . . . Rob and Scott are frustrated Ski Ballet Principal Danseur Noble . . . wink

Laughing Laughing

Now you come to mention it....the last time I was at Hemel, some of the warm up drills I spied.... Laughing
ski holidays
Ted POV. Copy this:

youtube.com/v/kA5JTX7aJqU
snow report
Brilliant! Amazing angles and such dynamic transitions. Love watching him ski.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Jeeeeeez Rob, why don't you and Ted get a room?!

Because if you don't, I probably will Madeye-Smiley

Good find, Bode.
ski holidays
I was just talking with one of coaches last weekend in Garmisch, and I was thinking he was joking when said you need to set GS to 32-35m, if you even want to even come down without pushing.... after seeing this video it really looks like he wasn't joking at all...
latest report
Great vid and that pitch change at 1m in and 2.45 looked quite...er...challenging Shocked
snow report
3 gates of a bit steeper terrain and everything else perfectly flat, even without bumps, or rolls, is not really all that challenging Wink Especially when considering this will be Olympic GS course and not some low level FIS race Wink
snow report
primoz wrote:
3 gates of a bit steeper terrain and everything else perfectly flat, even without bumps, or rolls, is not really all that challenging Wink Especially when considering this will be Olympic GS course and not some low level FIS race Wink

Go on...say it...you know you want to!!
snow conditions
That GS course looks rather narrow in place, not much room for error and distinct lack of white stuff off the piste and for that matter netting near the trees. Apart from that great skiing to watch.
snow conditions
Apparantly out of control on his fastest runs....

http://alpinepress.com/article/ligetys-top-speed-shreds-fastest-turns-are-anything-but-flawless/
ski holidays
More good stuff from Ted:

http://youtube.com/v/f6dYh0RDmcQ#!
snow report
spud wrote:
Apparantly out of control on his fastest runs....

http://alpinepress.com/article/ligetys-top-speed-shreds-fastest-turns-are-anything-but-flawless/

So if the fastest GS runs aren't the best technically that kinda scuppers the argument for the eurotest wink
ski holidays
He's had to repost minus music.

http://youtube.com/v/LgIHJZAFko8&feature=youtu.be
latest report
Ted in copyright theft shock
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy