Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Where to go in 2014? Skiing Dad, 6 year old snowplougher and Non-Skiing Mum

Poster: A snowHead
This has probably been asked before but I've searched a could not find an answer.

My wife is a non-skier and has no intention of changing that status. She tried a few years ago, hated every minute of it and swore she'd never ski again. Subsequent to that she has had two major operations that would put her at risk if she skied again. So in a nutshell, don't even think about suggesting I get her to try! Toofy Grin Very Happy

I would like to fnd somewhere where the 3 of us can go based on the following criteria:-

1. There is something to keep my wife occupied for the week - she hates the cold so walking or similar outdoor activities are out.
2. A good Ski School for my 5 year old son with, preferably, lots of similar age engligh speaking children.
3. A kindergarden type place he can go before/after skiing so he can mix with other kids
4. A good family location for reasons similar to (3)
5. A location that isn't going to break the bank
6. A good range of skiiing for me
7. Ideally somewhere with guiding so I don't end up skiing all day on my own

I suspect this is very much a wishlist but hopefully I can find somewhere that ticks most of the boxes.
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Gaza, Hmm. Not easy. Gaza. I think you'll need to give us some clues as to what your wife would need to keep "occupied" indoors. Would spending hours cooking elaborate and delicious meals for you, interspersed with a little light reading, fit the bill? wink
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
How about one of the Austian spa resorts, like Bad Hofgastein or Bad Gastein. They're really spa towns, with a ski resort added on. I understand the Austrian ski schools are pretty good too. The guiding aspect might be the tricky bit.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Quote:

I understand the Austrian ski schools are pretty good too.

and they don't only teach beginners. Gaza, maybe you could join a higher level ski group - give you company for skiing etc. But all day ski school might be too much for a little lad. And it would be nice to be able to do stuff with him in the afternoons. Not necessarily skiing, he might have had enough of that, but toboganning, building snowmen, etc etc. Your wife presumably won't want to do any of that.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Hi Gaza, have a look at this thread I posted a few weeks ago http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?p=2214913&highlight=non+mum#2214913

Not sure if the suggestions will help or just make your decision making harder.

When / where are you looking to go? Ski Esprit are good on the kiddie care front but as my post suggests the location of some of their chalets are not ideal for a non-skier.

Perhaps we should team up? Does your wife have any interests?
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Gaza, if you go in March then it can be really warm and your wife might enjoy soaking up the sun in a deck chair with a good book?
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Quote:

if you go in March then it can be really warm

a good point. Late March can be very pleasant, though as ever with weather, nothing is guaranteed and it can also be very snowy.
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Why would you take your wife if she doesn't like skiing and doesn't like cold? Let her go somewhere warm with her mates whilst you and son have a great ski week.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Gaza, I would recommend snowbizz for your son, but I'm not sure about your wife. Puy's a nice small resort where you can keep popping back to base etc, and she'd be able to watch the kids lessons and people watch etc. might be worth a look. We loved it there for the kids activities and ski school etc. it depends what she'll like to do for the week...
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Thanks for the thoughts so far.

We are restricted to Scottish school holidays as my wife is a teacher. So the only dates are around 8/2/14 or 9/4/14.

A spa-type resort would be a good choice as my wife enjoys pampering, shopping and reading. Laughing
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Zell am See? A lovely town by a lake and if you go in March the weather might be quite friendly. It's on a train line so you can get to Salzburg in a day. Nice shops etc. Skiing is fine too.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
queen bodecia wrote:
Why would you take your wife if she doesn't like skiing and doesn't like cold? Let her go somewhere warm with her mates whilst you and son have a great ski week.

Very simply, she wouldn't want to be away from us both for a week. Or to be more exact, away from our son for a week.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Zell am See would be a good option - good train connections to explore the area while you are out skiing (day in Salzburg, day in Kitzbuhel etc). If your wife enjoys walking then there's some nice options for that too. The downside is that it gets very busy in UK school holidays.

Another option would be to look at the Innsbruck resorts.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Gaza,

1. So what does keep you wife occupied? Gym? Shopping? Museums?
2. Most ski schools have English-speaking groups.
3. An all-day ski class will keep your son mixing with other kids all day. Smile
4, 5 & 6 --> Serfaus-Fiss-Ladis
7. Not sure.

I've taken the family to Serfaus, which was a big hit. Lots of family-oriented hotels and lots of activities for kids. I can heartily recommend the hotel Darrehof, which is very central. It has a big playroom for kids and spa/wellness area that might entertain your wife.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Thanks for all the great suggestions. I like the look of the Snowbizz offering but would need to see that it is suitable for my wife.
snow report
Gaza, there wouldn't be enough for your wife to do in Puy St Vincent I don't think. Nearby Serre Chevalier has a spa in Monetier-les-Bains, and there's Briancon to visit , and it's easy to join you up the mountain for lunch or at the bottom. A ski bus runs along the valley all day. Guiding with SKi Miquel, from Chalet Charlotte (but current French court case may change that)
If you go at Easter it shouldn't be too cold and there's an English-speaking New Gen ski school for the little 'un. If you want all day classes for him, probably ESI would be a better bet. Drop me a PM if you want any further info.
ski holidays
Gaza, we have booked here:

http://www.markwarner.co.uk/ski-holidays/les-deux-alpes/chalethotel-berangere

For 13th Apr 2014 as we needed school holidays and an affordable price. They have kids clubs in the hotel and it is described as good suitability for non skiers but haven't been there yet so cant verify that however the hotel has a pool in it as well.
ski holidays
Gaza, Its not cheap but you could go to Whistler at Easter. Most of the time it is then warm enough for the valley trails to be open so that she can go walking a bit with no issues - great kids school for young un - and guiding for you with either the free service or SCGB rep. There are loads of art exhibitions, spas, films, bars and a huge community sports centre too. She could even take a bus down to Vancouver.

I am sure she would prefer to do most of these with someone so you may have to miss some afternoons to keep her happy. It is not cheap but never that busy at Easter as it is not a huge holiday for their main markets. Weekend would be busy so that is when to go to Vancouver !

The longer you go the cheaper it is. Most places are room only so Pam's suggestion of having her cooking each day may or not be a good idea. I would not suggest it to mine !
ski holidays
NickyJ wrote:
Gaza, we have booked here:

http://www.markwarner.co.uk/ski-holidays/les-deux-alpes/chalethotel-berangere

For 13th Apr 2014 as we needed school holidays and an affordable price. They have kids clubs in the hotel and it is described as good suitability for non skiers but haven't been there yet so cant verify that however the hotel has a pool in it as well.

Looks very interesting and it may hit the mark with my wife. The pricing also looks not too bad when you consider all that is included.
snow report
Gaza, when we booked it I realised that the early booking weren't surcharging the BA flight out of Gatwick so we selected that or interconnecting or family rooms so we have booked interconnecting rooms for our girls (who are 3 & 6 at the moment). The transfer is also a good time under the 2 hours which are my girls limit before we start getting real complaints / toilet stop requests Happy
snow conditions
Gaza,

Serre Chevalier, with Club Med?

http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?p=1995402

Although not cheap, Club Med does offer good value in my opinion (we've just come back from Club Med Peisey Vallandry). Lots of spa type stuff for non-skiers and sociable groups/lessons for those whose families either don't ski or are of a very different ability.

chemistry
snow conditions
Gaza, I was going to suggest a Mark Warner. Ski hosting for you, good childcare and plenty of other kids.

LDA actually isn't too bad for non-skiers, and you can get a pedestrian lift pass.
snow report
Tough criteria - everything one part of the equation wants will likely be completely wrong for the other.

I think I would er towards keeping the wife relatively happy, so another recommendation for the Innsbruck resorts or Zell am See. Most of the other suggestions might well put off the wife = ultimate ski holiday suspension or marriage guidance wink

Gaza, you mention a spa-type resort...Madonna di Campiglio could work. Good access to slopes. No idea on child-friendly facilities, I'm afraid, but I'd be very surprised if Wayne at folgarida.co.uk couldn't help - they have all-inclusive hotels in MdC. Good outfit from experience.
snow report
As sugarmoma666 said, I think Bad Hofgastein should do the trick. Spa resort so plenty for your wife, ski schools are great (my 4 year old is going there in March) and tons of off piste with plenty of guides.

PM me and I can offer some advice.

Cheers
Kersh
latest report
Despite all the excellent suggestions, two weeks on I'm not much further forward. Blush My wife is unsure about the options I've suggested but in the last few days has indicate that she may (and it is a very big may) agree to me and my son heading off without her. The thought fills her with dread but I think she is coming round to the fact that spending a whack of cash for her to be cold and unhappy is not ideal.

Esprit seem to do good offers in some locations for "single" (I prefer ‘solo’)parents. The only thing that concerns me about this option is the possibility of ending up as a "billy no mates." There are threads on other sites about solo parents being made to feel like lepers in some chalets, and while that says everything about the other guests Evil or Very Mad , I am a sociable person and would like to enjoy my après-ski.

Anyone have experience of travelling as a “solo” parent and/or staying in a chalet where there were “solo” parents?
latest report
When we went to Courchevel with Esprit there were one or two Dads who were solo with there kids who I chatted to, I didn't get the feeling they felt like social lepers? I think being in the larger chalet hotel (which Crystal 2000 in Courchevel was) would certainly help, as there are generally lots of people milling around having the afternoon tea etc. and all the evening meal tables were quite large so all had mixed parties sitting at them.
latest report
Gaza, I stayed in a chalet last year where there was a dad and his son away without his wife. Don't think he was made to feel like a leper! He did ski on his own while son was at ski school and there was no hosting, skied with his son in the afternoons. The guy was friendly and chatted to everyone at dinner and stayed around after dinner for a digestive and cheese board while the son played on his DS for a bit before bed.

It wasn't state school holiday time and there were no other kids in the chalet. Probably be nicer for your son if you book something a little more child friendly than just a standard chalet eg esprit , MW, club med.
snow report
How about USA, Steamboat Springs or somewhere pleasant, and make it Easter so it's lovely and warm for your wife, with shopping? The kids ski program in the states is excellent, and if you don't find a ski mate then simply take a lesson!
Having said that, going on your own with son is perfectly acceptable, I have been in chalets with Esprit with Dads in this situation (curiously , no Mums solo) and it works out fine, the kids just play together and adults are all friendly! Can your wife go on holiday perhaps with a girlfriend/sister/Mum etc at the same time? She'll miss you both a bit less that way.
To help her decide confidently you just need to demonstrate that you can cope with the little one all on your own...how about sending her away for a long weekend for a practice run over the summer, or take junior camping on your own or something? Mums have this control/protect the young gene to overcome
Twisted Evil
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Quote:

To help her decide confidently you just need to demonstrate that you can cope with the little one all on your own...how about sending her away for a long weekend for a practice run over the summer, or take junior camping on your own or something? Mums have this control/protect the young gene to overcome

this is a really good suggestion. One to one time with Mums is usually a given - but not so often with fathers. It doesn't make much sense for your first solo trip together to be for a week. Far too many fathers never seem to do even 24 hours in sole charge.
snow conditions
Gaza wrote:
Despite all the excellent suggestions, two weeks on I'm not much further forward. Blush My wife is unsure about the options I've suggested but in the last few days has indicate that she may (and it is a very big may) agree to me and my son heading off without her. The thought fills her with dread but I think she is coming round to the fact that spending a whack of cash for her to be cold and unhappy is not ideal.

Esprit seem to do good offers in some locations for "single" (I prefer ‘solo’)parents. The only thing that concerns me about this option is the possibility of ending up as a "billy no mates." There are threads on other sites about solo parents being made to feel like lepers in some chalets, and while that says everything about the other guests Evil or Very Mad , I am a sociable person and would like to enjoy my après-ski.

Anyone have experience of travelling as a “solo” parent and/or staying in a chalet where there were “solo” parents?

No real experience to share other than taking my son away a few weeks ago....though trust me, there is absolutely nothing that that experience could provide that would be remotely helpful... Laughing

I'd be surprised if you experienced any feeling of "billy no mates" with Esprit - from experience in chalet share environments I can't think of one occasion where anyone was anything other than generally helpful in a "muck in together" kind of way. I also think there is serious advantage to the opportunity for your son to make some new pals for the week from both perspectives.

I also wonder whether, as Esprit seem to offer holidays geared to "solo" parents whether they might try and bring those groups together where possible. Probably worth an enquiry.
snow report
pam w wrote:
Quote:

this is a really good suggestion. One to one time with Mums is usually a given - but not so often with fathers. It doesn't make much sense for your first solo trip together to be for a week. Far too many fathers never seem to do even 24 hours in sole charge.

My wife has no qualms with me looking after our son. Very Happy In fact, she is going away tomorrow night until Sunday to meet up with friends in Dorset.

The issue is mainly that my wife is devoted to our son and doesn't like being apart from him. To give you an idea of how here mind works I'll give you an example.

3 years ago my wife was 40. I wanted to do something special so I used my BA Miles to book us Business Class flights to the Maldives and a my Hilton Points for a 6 night stay at the Conrad Rangali Island. When I told her what I had booked she was pulled two-ways. On one hand the prospect of the holiday really appealed but on the other she could not face leaving our son (who was 2.5 at the time) for that long. I eventually had to cancel it as I knew she wouldn't settle. Instead we went as a family to Port Issac (where Doc Martin is filmed) in Cornwall for a week! To be fair, we had an excellent holiday.

Quote:
I also wonder whether, as Esprit seem to offer holidays geared to "solo" parents whether they might try and bring those groups together where possible. Probably worth an enquiry.

Esprit have one or two rooms in some their Chalet Hotels where they don't charge an under occupancy supplement while still giving the full child discount. It is aa good deal but I don't think there will be many groups to bring together.
snow conditions
Quote:

3 years ago my wife was 40. I wanted to do something special so I used my BA Miles to book us Business Class flights to the Maldives and a my Hilton Points for a 6 night stay at the Conrad Rangali Island. When I told her what I had booked she was pulled two-ways. On one hand the prospect of the holiday really appealed but on the other she could not face leaving our son (who was 2.5 at the time) for that long. I eventually had to cancel it as I knew she wouldn't settle.

I am by no means a clingy mother (when my 3 kids were small I worked and their father looked after them full time) and my job meant that I travelled away from base quite often. However, no way would I have left a 2.5 year old without either of us and gone to the Maldives for a week!
snow report
Sounds like mission impossible with a non-skiing wife who also hates the cold ! Kids are for life so what's the problem being away from them for a week ? Maybe leave the wife at home, buy her a dog while you take your son away......

I've never experienced the cold shoulder when taking my kids skiing and leaving mum at home. Maybe depends on the chalet? Look on the other Snowheads forums - sometimes there are other solo parents looking to hook up with like minded souls in similar situations. Post an advert in the Solo Skier vs Groups forum.
snow report
Bagneres de Luchon in the Pyrenees

http://uk.luchon.com/

The old town at the bottom is a bit of a run down Buxton with thermal baths and cures and things. There's a cable car right in the middle that runs up to the ski area above. We were there in mid March and people were wearing T-shirts and shorts in the town at the same time as others were skiing up above. The skiing can't be described as extensive but it's not small either and there's lots of interesting nooks and crannies to explore.

It's a bit off the British radar so you might find it difficult getting a 100% English speaking class. I dunno.
snow report
 cran
cran
Go on separate holidays
snow report
damobloke1 wrote:
Maybe leave the wife at home, buy her a dog while you take your son away......

We got one of those 8 years ago. Pre-child I went to New Zealand for 3 weeks for the British Lions tour. During my transit in Hong Kong I had a phone call from my wife informing me I had become the "father" of a 6 week old West Highland Terrier. Very Happy
latest report
Gaza wrote:
damobloke1 wrote:
Maybe leave the wife at home, buy her a dog while you take your son away......

We got one of those 8 years ago. Pre-child I went to New Zealand for 3 weeks for the British Lions tour. During my transit in Hong Kong I had a phone call from my wife informing me I had become the "father" of a 6 week old West Highland Terrier. Very Happy

On second thoughts, keep your wife with you at all times. You don't want to leave her at home again and get the phone call you'd become a father again.
snow report
Don't scoff but consider Chamonix. It will truly have everything to keep any woman occupied that any small city might have. There are loads of kids in ski schools and it is a very international place so English will be as widely spoken there as anywhere. Don't know specifially about kindergartens. Obviously you will not be disappointed with skiing. Only drawback is you are not going to be able to meet family for lunch everyday, due to geography of place. I am not sure what you mean by guiding. There are more guides in Chamonix than anywhere else in world. But if you mean a TO twenty-something showing you slopes, you can forget about that in France anyway, and if that is what you want your queries probably best directed to Crystal rather than Snowheads
snow report
Quote:

Don't scoff but consider Chamonix.

Don't get me wrong, I'm a great fan of Chamonix. However I don't think it would meet the requirements set out in the OP very well at all. A solo parent with child trip to one of the larger chalet hotels run by the likes of MW or Esprit would best fit your needs I think, assuming your wife agreed! For example, Esprit chalethotels in Meribel and Courchevel 1850 are very good, although not cheap. Childcare is excellent in my experience, making it much easier for parents to enjoy their holiday. The larger setting would minimise any risk of you or your child feeling left out of the social side. In fact, I think you'd be more likely to be craving a quiet corner for some peace occasionally.
ski holidays
Just that Chamonix has loads of non-skiing stuff going on, and if you are walking round the town in civvie shoes in the middle of day you will not be alone and won't feel like a tool. Esprit is extortionate, with all mum's spare time she could spend time bonding with kids after ski school and save a packet. Don't rule out self catering either, saves money and will keep Mum busy (!!)
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy