Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

La Rosiere expansion , Transforming ?

Poster: A snowHead
I read with interest that the long awaited expansion of La Rosiere with two new lifts gaining access to Mont Valaisan is due to take place this summer opening in Dec 2018 . As a holiday home resident of Ste Foy I tend to ski in La Ros two or three times a season but only as access to the better pitches and restaurants in La Thuille or the heli station on the Italian side of the Petit St Bernard pass . I’ve always found La Rosiere pistes boring with very little skiing below the tree line , south facing slopes and prone to winds . However the two new lifts being built to access Mont Valisan really will transform the La Rosiere , the pitches are steeper , north west facing , protected by the east wind and will open up a huge off piste area giving La Ros something it’s never had .
Next season I might stay rather than just passing through to Italy for Pizza, Pasta and Powder .
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I have been to La Ros 4 times and always have a lovely time but they desperately needed a higher section as otherwise you are running down to resort a lot to go back up.

So we normally headed to La Thuile so we can ski in the upper area which has several lifts all starting well over 2000 m.

However , the link to Italy is often closed so can be frustrating on occasion.

I also heard a rumour of a lift of some kind being planned from Bourg up to La Ros...

That would be extremely interesting.

Plus another 5 star hotel planned for la Ros itself (as opposed to Eucherts).
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Bourg to La Ros......jesus that's a long way...cost of that will surely kibosh
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
got any links to the detail/maps on the expansion @Rob Mackley,
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
kitenski wrote:
got any links to the detail/maps on the expansion @Rob Mackley,

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/travel/ski/news/first-look-at-new-ski-area-in-la-rosiere-france/

https://www.remontees-mecaniques.net/forums/index.php?showtopic=27594
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
@sheffskibod, @stefoy4me,

I doubt that would be considered as Bourg markets itself with Les Arcs and a link really already exists , The chairlift link to La Ros from Seez is only a couple of Km from Bourg .
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Been to La Ros many times as the kids have grown up, I think that this will be a interesting development.
marketing vid here https://www.larosiere.ski/index.php?_cachepolicy=nocache&_lang=FR&oidit=T003:9s25de5ozu4v&nocache=1

not sure how they get to 5 new red runs, looking at the video sequence they have one from the top lift to the bottom, perhaps splitting rear the bottom, all the other runs shown are already in existence in some form. It will really open up the off-piste in Combe de moulin etc. ...they'll really need to expand the avi control if all of that is to be safe.

Rob, looking at the vid' the main area served will be the south west facing back into resort. I was chatting to a local instructor about this development earlier this year, wondering if they were putting runs to the north side of the ridge to allow direct access to Italy - but apparently not due the the pressures from the environmental lobby. I guess that would leave the offpiste options open though.

It would be great if they would upgrade the slow chair up from the bottom of the fountain froid run. I guess the trouble is that this run generally has had limited snow / opening due to the low altitude but this year has been open nearly all season
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
stefoy4me wrote:

Probably shorter than the existing Brides-les-Bains - Meribel gondola.

The possibilities of cheaper accommodation in Bourg, combined with easy-access skiing in both La Rosiere / La Thuile and Les Arcs / La Plagne, could make it quite attractive.
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
There is a currently a free bus from Landry to Ecudets(via Bourg)during the ski season so it's fairly easy as it is to ski Is Rosiere whilst based in Bourg. New lifts/runs will def make it more interesting, in its current form I find the La Rosiere side oh so boring. La Thuile much better but it's a bit of a drag(see what I did there) to get over from the French side.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Will they be installing a giant wind break?
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
ecureuil wrote:
stefoy4me wrote:

Probably shorter than the existing Brides-les-Bains - Meribel gondola.

The possibilities of cheaper accommodation in Bourg, combined with easy-access skiing in both La Rosiere / La Thuile and Les Arcs / La Plagne, could make it quite attractive.

I doubt Bourg would do this because Les Arcs is BSM commune land and they issue the license to ADS, the operator at Les Arcs.
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
A car park at Seez to the bottom of an upgraded les Ecudets could work well - May even be able to ski Villard Dessous occasionally.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
When there was an announcement about the Hyatt Centric opening last winter I recall that something was said about a gondola linking La Rosiere and Bourg so I assumed that it was definitely happening as part of the development of the resort. I may be wrong though.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Is a drag lift still the only way to get to La Thuile from La Rosiere? Will that change for next year? It's the only thing that's stopping me from booking a holiday there for March 2019.
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@oldschool72, yes it is, and no it won't change for next year.
latest report
Thanks. La Plagne it is, then!
snow report
It really is not that much of an issue - about 8 minutes, nice and flat.
snow report
oldschool72 wrote:
Is a drag lift still the only way to get to La Thuile from La Rosiere? Will that change for next year? It's the only thing that's stopping me from booking a holiday there for March 2019.

Can I ask why ? Its a longish drag but not a hard one... very quiet and scenic in nice weather.
ski holidays
I don't think it will ever be replaced as a surface lift can operate in winds that would close most other lifts
ski holidays
Is there much tree skiing in La Ros? And what is the off piste like?
snow conditions
sheffskibod wrote:
oldschool72 wrote:

Can I ask why ? Its a longish drag but not a hard one... very quiet and scenic in nice weather.

I'm a middle-aged intermediate boarder who has managed to avoid drag lifts for 20 years! Not sure my strength and fitness will be up to it.
latest report
snowymum, an interesting idea, your gondola from Bourg to La Ros.
A quick look at google maps with a ruler suggests a crow flies 1km from Bourg to Les Arcs, while its nearer 3 km for La Ros.
That would be some gondola.
But the gondola from Bride-Les-Bains to Meribel is about the same length, so not an impossible idea.
ski holidays
oldschool72 wrote:

I'm a skier so did not mind the drag lift snowHead My bad memory is of the 2 man chairlift back from La thuile towards la rosiere. Don't suppose there are any plans to replace that one?
snow conditions
@Jonpim, thank you for crediting me with what I thought was the resorts idea snowHead Just wondering if I dreamed it now or misread something as it has not been mentioned in the recent articles about new developments in the resort! so unless someone can find an article maybe we could assume that la rosiere will not be linked to bourg by gondola/cable car?!
ski holidays
snowymum wrote:
oldschool72 wrote:

I'm a skier so did not mind the drag lift snowHead My bad memory is of the 2 man chairlift back from La thuile towards la rosiere. Don't suppose there are any plans to replace that one?

Chardonnet - a real thigh thwacker ! 3 man I think but I agree , not much fun.

Nearly always windy and chilly .

However I do not believe it is likely to get changed...it does the job...I have never seen a queue here and its only short and seems quick enough.

The Italy drags could really do with an upgrade (especially as they market the link so heavily) - but maybe the landscape doesn't lend itself to a chair ...?

And as someone else mentioned , the Ecudets chair is very slow (albeit a very picturesque journey) . A shame as the run down (Fontaine Froide) is lovely.
latest report
There is a grand plan (mostly existing in dream-land for now) for all of the Tarentaise "valley" towns to be linked by gondolas to the relevant resort. This would mean Seez - La Ros, Aime - La Plagne, Bozel - Courchevel, etc. Don't hold your breath though.

The La Ros plan is to have a 2-stage gondola going from the existing car-park across the road from the campsite in Seez up to the Belvedere hotel and on to La Rosiere resort. There would be new pistes linking the Belvedere with both La Ros and Les Ecudets. The Seez end of the lift would also be as close to being in Bourg Saint Maurice as makes no difference!

Once again, this is daydream territory for now.

Source: I live in Seez and I get the local-council newsletter / magazine!
ski holidays
@stevomcd, Glad you get the local council newsletter. It would be difficult to find anything which makes less sense.
snow conditions
Incidentally, another complicating factor for La Ros lift developments is that the ski resort area is spread across two different communes, Seez and Montvalezan. Most of the lifts are on Montvalezan land, including the new developments onto Mont Valaisan. The lifts which are on Seez land are Ecudets, Chardonnay and the infamous drag lifts en-route to Italy. I'll leave you to figure out from that information which of the communes is more forward-thinking and tourist-friendly....
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy