Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Is anywhere safe anymore??

Poster: A snowHead
My daughter is walking back to where she lives in Verbier the other night after Mardi Gras and as she goes away from Place Centrale the next thing she knows she has been mugged....and her wallet has been taken. It all happened so fast that she never saw who her attacker was. She had a cut face and was very shocked...she is only 19. The police were wonderful but said that these 'events' attract certain people who see it as an opportunity to come and pickpocket and steal...they hasten to add that they are nor Swiss. They know there are people in resorts such as Verbier with money, but it seems to be the people who are working and earning a pittance that suffer.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Sad but true very few places are truly safe any more, my favourite little resort of Wengen is still pretty safe from violent crime, a. because its pretty small and b. because it's hard to make a speedy getaway when you have a 15 min train journey to get out of the village. Having said that small crimes do occur, one year one of the bars had its safe broken into (though the suspicion was that this was likely to have inside knowledge, and on several occasions there have been a rash of relatively small breaking and entering mainly to hotels where they would steal flat screen monitors, and anything small and easily portable such as eye glasses, expensive pens and so on, all these items could be placed in a suitcase and essentially smuggled out, they also all occurred when a certain contingent o eastern Europeans were staying everyone was pretty certain they were responsible but as far as I know no proof was ever obtained.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Swissie, poor girl, that must have been horrible. Hope she feels better soon.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Swissie wrote:
The police were wonderful but said that these 'events' attract certain people who see it as an opportunity to come and pickpocket and steal...they hasten to add that they are nor Swiss.

The Swiss (police) are xenophobic ? Well I'll be damned.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Swissie, Hope she's OK soon.

moffatross, if there one thing that would improve life in the Alps it's the Iron Curtain going back up, preferably solidly and permanently.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
robboj wrote:

moffatross, if there one thing that would improve life in the Alps it's the Iron Curtain going back up, preferably solidly and permanently.

not least cos it'll stop bandits like horizon from stealing all your lines and playing his folk music wink
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
The Global Peace Index ranks countries for safety, based on a wide range of factors, including: homicides, violent crimes, violent demonstrations, police activity, perceived criminality in society, political instability, weapons importing/exporting and access, terrorist activity, neighbouring country relations, and deaths from conflicts. You can ski in most of the most peaceful places.

Top 10 Peaceful Nations

1) Iceland

2=) New Zealand

2=) Denmark

4) Canada

5) Japan

6) Austria

6) Ireland

Cool Slovenia

9) Finland

10) Switzerland

UK is 29th, France is 40th.
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Ha ha - Ireland joint 6th. Very little petty crime north of the border, cos the paramilitaries shoot offenders on a one strike and you are out basis. Head south to Dublin and you know you are in a posh area when you stop at red light and you still have wheels when the light turns green Toofy Grin
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Swissie, horrible to hear!

I have always thought that ski resorts and ski towns were safe because of the large numbers of people walking around at night. I walk around Cham at night all the time and have even hitch hiked from Argentiere to Chamonix at 2am (got picked up by a minivan full of Scandis – it was uneventful other than the fact that they were all drunk and singing along to Elvis at the tops of their voices).
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Thornyhill wrote:
Ha ha - Ireland joint 6th. Very little petty crime north of the border, cos the paramilitaries shoot offenders on a one strike and you are out basis. Head south to Dublin and you know you are in a posh area when you stop at red light and you still have wheels when the light turns green Toofy Grin

Exaggerate much Thornyhill ? Oh, yeah and you can ski here six months of the year - if your skis don't get nicked off your feet that is Happy
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Thanks for all your kind comments, it has certainly been a learning curve for her, without being too badly hurt thank god.
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Swissie, sorry to hear that. i was out and about that night in Verbier, the general vibe was very good which makes it even more shocking.
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
I always feel very safe in ski resorts..the crime rate (aside from skis being nicked) must generally be pretty low.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Hmmm must check out the local Ski resorts here in Norin Iron Hey ! Very Happy
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
AJQ wrote:
Hmmm must check out the local Ski resorts here in Norin Iron Hey ! Very Happy

Hi boy - Bangor's a bit posh. No hoods doon ure way. You could try water skiing behind wan o them swans in Pickie fun park. Yee'ed need some gobshite te be pedallin' lik buggery hi
latest report
Them swans don't go fast enuff hey!

The Mournes were doable a few weeks ago though, like Narnia up there according to the guy who serviced my skis before I went away. He spent all that Sunday up there, said he'd not seen snow like that for a brave while.

Andy.
snow conditions
Quote:

Ha ha - Ireland joint 6th. Very little petty crime north of the border, cos the paramilitaries shoot offenders on a one strike and you are out basis. Head south to Dublin and you know you are in a posh area when you stop at red light and you still have wheels when the light turns green

I was thinking that the levels of petty crime around O'Connel street and the North Quays in Dublin is legendary! Also I don't think anyone in their right mind would take their phone out of their pocket on Henry street/Jervis Street. Surveys are full of poo-poo
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy