Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Canada resorts - groomed and ungroomed? whats it all about?

Poster: A snowHead
hi
off on our first trip to Canada in three weeks....... we've been keeping an eye on the webcams (big white) and we often see they show the runs as follows; 118 runs open, 58 groomed, the 'groomed' run amount seems to vary, having only ever skied in Europe we're not used to seeing this, is this normal in North America? obviously we get that some runs are left 'au-natrual' but why??! used to cruising down groomed italian runs, will take some getting used to! lol Very Happy
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Quote:

used to cruising down groomed italian runs

so what is attracting you to Canada?
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Absolutely normal and bear in mind that many of the 118 "runs" might not be marker posted motorways like you're used to but could include chutes, different lines down a bowl and even alternate ways round a cluster of trees as separate runs (don't know the specifics of Big White but typical for Canada). In such cases it would be impossible to groom even if they wanted to. Grooming is only done as a sop to European tourists (ok just kidding) and to help return from rad terrain (also kidding) but locals would be very upset if everything was groomed after every storm (not kidding).

Also bear in mind that traffic is not necessarily very heavy so a run might only need grooming every couple of days to keep it in easily skiable condition. In such cases it wouldn't necessarily show up on the "groomed today" report.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
On a side note - if that sounds non-positive, rent some "cheater" skis and take an off-piste lesson or two , there's no better place assuming recent snowfall to get to grips with all mountain skiing without safety concerns.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
ok thanks all....... the reason we are going is to experience a different ski holiday, we are willing to embrace the new experience - just wondering what the score was..........
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Quote:

take an off-piste lesson or two

from some prices I saw quoted on a recent thread, that could be an expensive experience - good though!
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
cbowls30, be sure to post a trip report! Have a great time. snowHead
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
We went to Big White last year, the groomed /ungroomed phenomena is a wonderful thing, it was our first excursion outside Europe and won't be the last. The whole area is patrolled and you get great groomed runs to wazz down as quick as you can but you also get controlled powder to have a go at, some blue runs are left ungroomed so you can have a go at not too steep powder skiing, at the top of the main lifts there are boards that indicate which runs are groomed and which aren't so you can take your pick. Big White in my opinion is one of the best places to get great dry powder and be able to have a go at it in a safe controlled environment, you can access the runs via lifts and you can also ski through the trees. There are ski guides morning and afternooon that you can hook up with as well. If there is a fresh dump of snow and the weather clears head over to Gem Lake and try out the ungroomed runs you won't regret it. The runs aren't long at Big white but they make up for it with the snow and the variety of runs available to you. We loved the place.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
pam w wrote:
from some prices I saw quoted on a recent thread, that could be an expensive experience - good though!

Price isn't the only lever of value. I'd wager that a mid week lesson with a good Canadian ski pro might bring you on more than a week with the 13+ holiday hero ESF snakes.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Quote:

I'd wager that a mid week lesson with a good Canadian ski pro might bring you on more than a week with the 13+ holiday hero ESF snakes.

I''m sure it would, but it would also cost a lot more. And maybe a mid week lesson with a good European pro would do just as much good? wink
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
cbowls30 wrote:
obviously we get that some runs are left 'au-natrual' but why??!

Why not?
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
pam w wrote:
Quote:

I'd wager that a mid week lesson with a good Canadian ski pro might bring you on more than a week with the 13+ holiday hero ESF snakes.

I''m sure it would, but it would also cost a lot more. And maybe a mid week lesson with a good European pro would do just as much good? wink

Really a week with ESF cheaper than $59 for a 2 hour drop-in group (which might end up being private if you pick the right day & skill level wink ) or $76 a head for a private pm split between 3? (based on Big White website plus tax)
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
A private lesson between 3 people in ESF Val d'Isere (1.5 h) would cost Canadian $31 each, or you could have up to 5 people without paying any more.

Half day private in whistler in mid January is $449 - a half day group lesson in Val D;Isere is $59. And if you choose your time and skill level you would probably be in a group of a lot less than 13 (group of 4, the last course I did, which was intermediate cross-country, cost about €80 for the week). Both private and group lessons are less in a small resort, but that would be comparing apples and pears.

Courses and private lessons with the British ski schools in France cost a lot more - comparable with the Canadian prices. People tend to assert that French instructors are paid a lot, but I don't see how, when their lesson prices are much lower than the competition.

I'm not arguing that you don't get what you pay for - but private lessons from a Canadian (or British) ski school are pretty pricey.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I'd be gutted if they groomed everything in sight after a fresh snowfall. As already said it's a great place to experience lift served knee deep powder after a storm. But they always groom a variety of runs daily for those who like the cords. We're out there for a month from next weekend and can hardly wait.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
pam w, I don't think we're really at odds. the pricing models are just different and Whistler is no more representative of Canada than say the Altiport bar in Courchevel is of France. privates with ESF vdi look surprisingly cheap but as a co-op most of that goes to the profit share rather than the corporate resort owner.
snow conditions
I like Big White. It doesn't get the dork tourist masses that Whistler gets, so no crowds, no speed cops, and it doesn't rain either. I've ridden fresh tracks in bounds there days after the last fall: it doesn't get the same attention as the mass market places, so there's a laid back attitude and plenty for everyone.

It's not the dryest snow, but it may seem that way compared with Europe. Silver Star's worth a visit from there too (there used to be a shuttle but not any more I hear). Big White is Australian owned (long story), and you'll find a lot of people from there around. It's all laid back. It's hot a huge village but there's enough there. The joke name is "Big White Out", with luck you'll not find out why, but the snow has to fall sometime.

Okanagan Pinot Noir can be pretty good, but that is relatively expensive.

Can't comment on the lessons, but I did some work with the Big White ski school and they seemed hugely better than anything I've seen in Europe (that is: they treat children well; they actually seem to teach people; they don't have those snakes all over the piste). . I don't think Canadian prices are particularly high, but you have to consider the overall value.
snow conditions
It's unusual for all 'groomed' runs to be groomed every day in Canada or the USA, although some beginner runs will always be groomed. That's partly due to lower traffic levels, and partly due to a very different attitude to skiing. Some runs - even blues - may be groomed only a few times over the whole season when it becomes necessary to deal with thin patches that might otherwise cause equipment damage. Even when a run is groomed, it's common to find that a wide strip is left to develop some beautiful bumps (note that they're not usually called moguls on the other side of the Atlantic).

North American skiers love bumps. I've never been to Big White, but I'm willing to bet that you'll get much more out of the place if you enjoy them too.
snow conditions
The Okanagan cabernet merlot was a treat. We were there 10 days and it snowed a couple of times but was never a white out, that said you can get white out conditions anywhere, that's skiing. The powder chutes in between the trees on black forest were a treat as well as gem lake area, wish we were going back there next year. We're thinking about saving up for a two centre at Big White and Sun peaks or Silver Star, anyone have an opinion on which is best, as long as there is a decent pub/bar not bothered about banging nightlife.
latest report
You can't really say any of those are better than the others, it all depends on the conditions, in my view.

Silver Star is a bit "twee" by design, and quite small and friendly. I like it a lot. Some of the accommodation is excellent quality and great value, presumably because the crowds don't go there. Not a place if you're looking for 200 lifts and lots of motorways, or "night life" if that's strip clubs and late night music (although you can get all of those in Vernon or Kelowna or Kamloops). I've had some epic powder days at Silver Star, and the weenies who will track out Whistler's wet snow in an hour don't get here, so the stuff lasts.

Sun Peaks I really like, and it's 2.5 hours from the second best snow on earth. You're into the real deal there, so expect relatively few tourists and lots of friendly locals. It's about 3.5 hours from YVR by car or you can fly into YKA and it's half an hour up the road. If you have a car then you can call Wiegele and do a day or two standby heli in Blue River (2.5 hours drive away), if you're lucky. Some of the roads can get quite naughty in the snow with hire cars.

Most of the towns (as opposed to the "resorts") are not really suitable for tourists, although they've a charm all their own.
ski holidays
Towns are the best bit compared to the ersatz tweeness of on hill "villages". Bars with hockey n wings, Timmy's. Canadian tire for a shufty at chainsaws - that's proper Canada.
latest report
Quote:

Canadian tire for a shufty at chainsaws - that's proper Canada.

puts me in mind of a drive across North Island, New Zealand - radio ads for clutches for pick up trucks.
snow report
Its difficult for them to piste between the trees rolling eyes
They piste the green runs every day the blue runs every 2-3 days depends if its snowed and if its busy. The runs hold up well but there are not that many people around mid week. weekend is a lot busier. often piste the middle of the run or just one side and leave the fresh snow on one side. Black runs some are groomed many are not depends on access and the type of groomers they have. Left Big White 7 days ago, not my fav resort prefer Sun Peaks of Silver Star. Same grooming rules in those resorts as well. Neighbors have just left heading for the lift fresh snow overnight.
ski holidays
Jonny Jones wrote:
I've never been to Big White, but I'm willing to bet that you'll get much more out of the place if you enjoy them too.

I wouldn't say Big White is really known for its bump skiing. There is some of course, but the real attraction there is powder and tree (gladed) skiing. It's also a great place for cruising - high or low speed.
snow conditions
uktrailmonster, even better than bumps, but equally scary to an average lover of groomers.
latest report
Was there nothing on rain or frostbite levels?
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy