Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

US East Coast condiions/reports

Poster: A snowHead
We were lucky enough to have a chance for a day trip to Mont Tremblant last week. The snow cover was excellent, with almost nothing nasty poking through the non-snowmaking areas, and the groomers skied very well indeed. I liked the mix of long runs, fast lifts and lots of glade areas which were particularly enjoyable. The north side also had some evil bump runs, not overly solid and big and steep.

The setup is typical Intrawest, with a cute village, and lots of ski in-out condos and hotels. From speaking to locals on lifts, weekends can be hellish busy, but midweek is a dream. I could be persuaded to return for a Sunday-Friday vacation Wink

It was a beautiful sunny day, so there's lots of pics at http://gortonator.wordpress.com/2014/02/15/a-mont-tremblant-day-trip/
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
We passed through Jay Peak, Stowe and Sugarbush a week ago, and had a great time. Timing was reasonable as a foot+ storm topped up the slightly low bases with enough new cover to explore some of the more exciting terrain. I was incredibly impressed with Jay Peak - there's some amazing skiing here, and the new base area looks very tastefully done. The tree skiing certainly lives up to its reputation. After Jay we moved on and stayed in the Stowe Inn for 2 nights, right in the village. There's plenty of nice places to eat and drink down there - it was very pleasant. Stowe and Sugarbush were also great fun - some very fine skiing at both. Another foot of snow and it would've been a great trip. I think that deficit has been fixed by now.

Lots of pics and report at:
http://gortonator.wordpress.com/2014/02/19/jay-peak-stowe-and-sugarbush/
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
gortonator, many thanks for these. Daughter lookign at Uni Of Vermont so am watching this thread
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Fun week skiing local hills. Conditions at Blue Knob last weekend were really quite good, with all the glades open and skiing nicely. Then we had a midweek warmup and some rain. Luckily this stopped and some beautiful weekend weather rolled in, creating some excellent spring-like skiing at Wisp and Seven Springs. It was snowing and getting colder as we left the hill this afternoon, so hopefully winter is heading this way again.

Brief report and a few pics of Blue Knob glades at:

http://gortonator.wordpress.com/2014/02/23/some-local-skiing-blue-knob-wisp-and-seven-springs/

Next stop - Snowbird, UT Wink
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Spent the weekend at Snowshoe, West Virginia. Saturday was damp but fun, with the serious rain arriving after 2pm. It turned to a full on blizzard overnight, with 4 inches new by lift opening, and at least that much during the day. It was light pow, you just had to find where the wind was depositing it and there were fantastic turns to be had all day long. I even had my first West Ginny face shots Madeye-Smiley

They'll open again next weekend. Wish I could be there as there's still plenty of snow. Report and a few pics at:

http://gortonator.wordpress.com/2014/03/30/ending-the-season-in-the-mid-atlantic/
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Yep, there is good Spring skiing in the East.

It was a tough choice between Jay Peak and Sugarloaf last weekend. A more snowy forecast made us head to Maine, and it ended up a pretty good choice. Mixed precip Saturday afternoon was the only downer, but it turned to snow overnight down to the base and made for an excellent Sunday as the weather slowly improved throughout the day. A chowda skiing day Wink

I was impressed by Sugarloaf. Even without the Summit open there was some fine advanced skiing off the Skyline chair, with excellent snow cover in the trees. We need to go back in winter when everything is open.

Full report and pics at:

http://gortonator.wordpress.com/2014/04/30/late-spring-at-sugarloaf/

Next stop, Mt Bachelor Wink
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
We're sliding in the East for the season. Opening weekend at Okemo in Vermont was pretty fun. Pics at:

http://gortonator.wordpress.com/2014/11/24/2014-15-season-kick-off-at-okemo/

they're evn installing a heated covered 6 pack. Only about 15 years after Europe!! About time though
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@gortonator, we are coming over for Christmas and then up to Stowe for six days from the 26th December so I will have all the good layers packed. Will follow your posts now.
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Pamski,, if u are up at Stowe and have a car, other places up there that are good are sugarbush and jay peak. Mad river glen is kinda cultish up here, but they need a lot of snow, and I'm not a diehard lover of that mtn, although it's fun for a day. A week is a long time and those resorts are not that big (altho, big by east coast standards). Big storm coming in next few days, keep fingers crossed.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
@Redwine, thanks - we have been to Sugarbush quite a few years ago now. We will have a car with us - will look at the map and see where Jay Peak is. Fingers crossed as ever. Smile
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Decent storm going on right now, but it seems that Maine is going to get pounded rather than vt and nh. Promising start to season!
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Did opening day at camelback in poconos (PA) yesterday. only 1 lift and 3 or 4 trails open but good conditions, nice base of man made then they got 7" of natural on wednesday, lots of snowmaking on closed trails.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@Pamski, I may get up that way myself before year end, maybe try to say hello.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Oh. Forgot about this. Only a Few days left to get this but it's an ok deal.

http://www.sugarbush.com/vermont-skiing-snowboarding/quad-pack?gclid=CJPK_NCYoMICFfEF7AodRycAww

Sugarbush quad pack.
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Just back from 2 days at Killington. Rather fine for New England in December. The snow is excellent, the crowds light. Xmas and a little rain tomorrow might change that for a few days but hopefully just a temporary shift to the negative. this was very good skiing.

Pics/report at:

https://gortonator.wordpress.com/2014/12/23/a-pre-xmas-jaunt-to-killington/
ski holidays
Possibly 60 degrees in boston with 2-3 inches Of rain. Vt and nh will have to be monitored closely. It will rain there, no way it can be this warm in Boston and not have rain there. Just hope there might be snow on the tail end and maybe not as much rain as we expect along the coast.
snow report
Redwine wrote:
Possibly 60 degrees in boston with 2-3 inches Of rain. Vt and nh will have to be monitored closely. It will rain there, no way it can be this warm in Boston and not have rain there. Just hope there might be snow on the tail end and maybe not as much rain as we expect along the coast.

My fingers are crossed. Hopefully there won't be too much damage and winter will be back in full swing by end of week. We're planning to head back up somewhere up there for New year, so it better had!!
latest report
I might be up on Sunday. Will try and report. Back end supposed to full in with snow. But it's warm in Boston now. We will ski in ground up stuff, but just got some edges sharpened so we will have to make due.
snow report
Heard from buddy at Stowe. Pretty brutal after the storm. Suggested I wait till after new year, but ain't gonna be able to do that. So sad, only one bad warm up and we have to start again.
ski holidays
Brutal as in solid? Temps are trending down towards supercold so that should be pretty good for gunpow areas and groomed. We're heading up for 4 days on 31st - dunno where yet.
latest report
We arrived in Stowe this afternoon, passes bought, settled into hotel and looking forward to tomorrow and seeing changes since we were last here 6 or 7 years ago.
snow report
looking forward to a report, pamski
snow conditions
Southern Vermont. Horrible. Meh in AM, skied off to ice. Mt snow, heard okemo same, so figure it's this way through at least central vt. Maybe north is better? But I'm not skiing tomorrow as its just not worth it. ....oh plus it's crowded.
latest report
With crowds it's tough to repair the damage, I guess, although hopefully things will get slowly better. We changed plans for NY due to finding a cheap flight to Denver - amazingly. Wolf Creek here we come Madeye-Smiley Madeye-Smiley Will be back up in New England for a week in mid January.
latest report
Here in Stowe - we didn't ski yesterday as it rained and when that stopped it was very windy so we knocked it on the head for the day and went out to wander round the town and have brunch. Our son and family were driving up from Connecticut. Saturday had been fine, getting to know the lifts and trails again.
So all here today and OH and I were on Mt Mansfield at 9 - I cannot say too many times how friendly everyone is around here - we have met really nice people on the lifts and gondolas who are really interesting, want to tell us about the area, where they ski, where we ski, what on earth are we doing over here - well there was no snow when we left France but its arrived now, and all so helpful. Met up with the grandchildren and then skied with them later in the morning on the Sunny Spruce slopes. Really nice guy picked up my granddaughter and put her in the right direction down towards her brother when the bumps had got a bit too much for her. I must say I am missing all the little cafes, bars and restaurants that we have around the Portes du Soleil in France, but getting used to the huge eating areas and efficiency of the lift queues - are the lefties always so jolly? Our lot need some lessons.
Sorry for the thread drifting - we have found a really nice place for dinner - the Bistro at Ten Acres - and we are back there tomorrow evening - sans grandchildren.
This is our fourth visit to Stowe, first time was 20 years ago - and we still love it.
snow report
Any conditions reports from up there? From this distance it's starting to sound liek things are looking up. We're planning on heading up for a week mid-next week, so hopefully this cold and snow will bringthe New England ski hills back to top quality!!
snow report
it will be OK. was skiing on saturday, massive improvement from monday, when it sucked pretty much everywhere. There was snow on sat night, that changed to rain (at least in so. Vt and NH), but it has been just darn cold since monday. Its also expected to stay that way, so those guns have to be running round the clock. Dont think much snow is expected, so they probably wont have enough to open a lot more terrain, but they can make what they have alot better.

Have fun. where you off to? stowe I recall? Long drive from PGH.
ski holidays
Would like to target Jay Peak if conditions are good. Break up teh drive by skiing in Upstate NY on way and Southern Vermont on way back/ Something like taht anyway - it will be a last minute decision, as usual. Very glad things are looking up - Jay claiming some decent snowfalls right now Smile Smile
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@gortonator, we are now back at our home in the French Alps having really enjoyed our week in Stowe - we were blown away, as usual, by the efficiency of the mountain and the staff - the friendliness of everyone that we came across on the lifts and gondolas and the complete honesty of the American people. Everyone seems to come and leave their bags and belongings on hooks, shelves, stuffed under the table and its still, presumably, there at the end of the day. Very refreshing.

Our skiing was huge fun, the snow that was blown was creating great fun for our grandson as the heaps got higher and higher - but we did enjoy our last day after they had left skiing a deux again. The Stowflake Inn was a good place to stay and if we ever get back again we will repeat the experience - hate to think that this might be our last visit to Vermont but who knows. Wish all you East Coasters a good season.
snow report
never been to Jay. but so want to go. maybe MLK weekend. Its probably not as busy as the other VT resorts. Its quite a drive for you from PGH, good luck and have fun.
snow report
@Redwine, we might be there MLK weekend, so shout if you head up. Went last year and it was epic
ski holidays
Now this is cold!

http://www.boston.com/travel/guides/skiing-boarding/2015/01/08/some-new-england-ski-resorts-are-closing-down-limiting-lifts-due-cold/zHxyU2f3MTIxCmjT0vvNBJ/story.html

Much warmer today (still below freezing), but going to get cold again this weekend. Dont think a warm up is expected next week at all.
latest report
Redwine wrote:
Now this is cold!

http://www.boston.com/travel/guides/skiing-boarding/2015/01/08/some-new-england-ski-resorts-are-closing-down-limiting-lifts-due-cold/zHxyU2f3MTIxCmjT0vvNBJ/story.html

Much warmer today (still below freezing), but going to get cold again this weekend. Dont think a warm up is expected next week at all.

By contrast here in the Emerald City, we've had balmy temps in the upper 40's to low 50's during the day. Had a bit of a temp. inversion, and the weather station at Muir on Mt. Rainier, located at 10,000 feet recorded 60F!

Im fretting about snow for the Alps in 9 days time, and meanwhile, I got no decent conditions out my backdoor! Sad

One has to wonder what the jet is doing as it crosses the Atlantic with all this cold air it is picking up from the North American polor vortex. Might as well take all that cold air, pick up some moisture along it's 3,000 mile journey and dump it on the Alps next week...right? wink
snow report
@Toadman, gawd yes. I have a few more weeks to go before the alps, but its been such an emotional snow season so far. fingers crossed for both of us.
snow conditions
Looking darn cold and a tad snowy in New England for the next week. I'm getting encouraged. Will start making plans early in the week for MLK weekend. Fingers crossed. And you only need one decent Arlberg dump, @Toadman, and all will be good Cool
snow report
Redwine & gortonator Yep, one nice dump of snow will do wonders over there. Whatever falls on Sunday in the Arlberg should be a big help, and then if all falls into place we might just hit it just right for our arrival in Lech on the 17th. Coincidentally, that's about when they are forecasting a change in weather pattern for the PNW. So, I won't feel so bad skiing knee deep Arlberg pow, while my commrades in the PNW ski knee deep Cascade pow! Only, I will be enjoying that famous Lech Apre' scene at the end of the day! wink
snow conditions
@Toadman, I want detailed notes for my trip there! First time and can't wait. Deep pow sounds soooo sweet.
snow conditions
@Redwine, You'll love the Arlberg - there's epic skiing there. Where are you staying?
More snow in New England. 8 inche sin 2 days at Killington, more at Jay Wink
snow conditions
@gortonator, u off to arlberg this year also? We are at alpenland hotel, apparently on the nassserein side. Was hard to find somewhat reasonable lodging during the vacation week. At least the euro is cheaper now!

Cold as heck here still. Setting up for a good week for you. Safe travels from pgh.
ski holidays
@Redwine, yep - we're heading to Lech around 19th Feb for 10-ish days. Hopefully a stormy snowy visit.

Even Seven Springs got snow last few days, and it's 0F in Pgh right now. Chilly morning ...
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy