Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

I think I need another set of skis - Black Pearls?

Poster: A snowHead
Where n+1 is the required number of skis with n being the current number of skis in the garage.

I have a pair of 2010 Volkl Feugo's which I love on piste and ice but they're not so much fun in anything soft, chopped or cruddy (tbf that's a lot to do with my technique but if I can't buy my way out of shitty skiing well then what use is it (other than paying bills and other inherently boring things)).

Am hoping/nagging for a month at the end of the season and I want to have fun rather than be fighting my skis.

I tested the Cloud 9's at the end of our last trip and they were a lot more forgiving over bumpy stuff but otherwise are pretty similar to the Feugo's. Plus MrI got the mens equivalent so if I really want to I can just steal those for a couple of days and adjust the bindings.

Tried the Elan's with the L & R ski but they didn't float my rocket.

Any suggestions of skis to try in resort? I keep seeing good things in reviews about the Blizzard Black Pearl but haven't heard from anyone who has actually skied them.

I'm between an 8 & 9 on the 'inside out' scale, around 5'10 and 65kg so possibly don't need to stick to female specific skis.

Last edited by Poster: A snowHead on Fri 22-03-13 13:35; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I have skied the mens version (bushwacker) they are great skis, look on theskidiva.com for loads of reviews from women who rave about them.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Oh hello Lilywhite! I'm Liquid Yellow on TSD!

Yeah the Divas love the BPs, however I'm not sure how great they'd be in Europe. Probably fab if you do a lot of off piste. On-piste, not so much.

I'd go for more of an all-mountain ski with a bit of rocker. I love my Dynastar Legend Idylls, they work in literally everything.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Piccadilly, just read your review of Idylls - what did you sell before buying them? I am thinking I have to buy some skis as have spent more than a pair of skis worth on mediocre ski hire this season... But am more than a little intimidated! Have 2 more weeks to come both with tame resort shops so am hoping to force myself to think about trying stuff. I had been wondering if Dynastar Edens and the like would be a good choice but your review makes me wonder. We do mainly ski on piste but the kids head off at the slightest invitation... and I have to keep up!! Any insights welcome (bearing in mind to date I have skied in all sorts of conditions without thinking about it on whatever I have been handed in hire shop!!)
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Piccadilly, hello again Very Happy
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
katedenhaag, I had a pair of Rossi S86Ws. They were lovely skis but a bit too long (170cms) and too wide. Try a few all-mountain type skis and see how you get on. I personally don't think anything wider than about 82mm is needed on European pistes, but I'm sure many would disagree.

lilywhite, oh hi, sorry if I've already said hello on here, brain like a sieve!
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Thanks for the replies, Piccadilly, have you tried the BPs? I was concerned that all the reviews seem to be from America/Canada.....

I do want something that is more OP focussed though as the Feugo's really don't cope at all (repeats 'it's not me, it's the equipment')
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
MeMyselfandI, Cloud 9s are skinnier than your fuegos from what I can see. Hard to see how they'd move you in the direction that you want to go.

BPs seem to be 88mm underfoot, which seems like a good compromise to me. Nice graphics too and I know you laydees like your graphics.

No-one nearby you who has any to try out?

Maybe see if Blizzard are demoing anywhere near you?
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
MeMyselfandI, If you already have a pair of skinnier skis and plan on keeping them then go fatter, 90-110 underfoot, definitely rocker and about mid to high 170's. Pretty much anything in that range will be a whole lot more fun in soft snow than the Fuegos, when it hasn't snowed for a bit take the Fuegos out and enjoy the ice Smile
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Voelk Kiku
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
MeMyselfandI, I bought the Black Pearls just before Christmas, a bit longer than my last skis. I loved them when I tried them out at Milton Keynes (which you can do before buying). I took them to St Anton and for the first few days I found them a lot of ski to get used to, and felt big. I think that was just adjusting to the larger size (also wider than my last pair which were more GS). Just back from a second trip and I LOVE them! Really great for all conditions, very fast but controllable, for the first time I overtook my husband who is much taller than me and a better skier, felt totally stable, were great on hard snow/ice, soft snow, off piste (though I didn't do much) definitely recommend them. (They look good too) BTW I'm 5'4 and got the 159.
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
under a new name, that's why I didn't get them Smile They were a bit of a revelation in the bumpy stuff though, hence why I'm thinking it would be good to have something outside of the carving skis in my arsenal. After three weeks of pretty solid lessons my skiing had improved enough for me to finally realise that not all the issues I was having in the chop was purely due to my technique.

lynseyf, I thought about proper fat skis but at this stage I don't spend enough time exclusively in the powder to avoid looking like I've gone a step too far on the funny fellow index, I think (seriously, I wear black with fur and my helmet sometimes has a visor, it's terrible)

clarky999, Thanks, I'll have a look at those as well

rachelb, great to hear from someone who has skied them in Europe. Unfortunately nowhere I can get to that demo's around here, especially as the two small things that hang around me pretty well constantly object to being left by themselves all day.

BTW, sorry for the random apostrophe in the thread title Embarassed
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
MeMyselfandI, it is refreshing to hear from someone who cares about their apostrophes. The difference between one that knows its poo-poo and one that knows it's poo-poo.

I would suggest that up to 100mm is probably ok as a one ski quiver but over 100mm is into funny hat league.

Not being silly, but maybe one of the volkl rando models would suit?
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
under a new name, is the disclaimer because of the width or the fact they're telemarking skis?
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
MeMyselfandI, i didn't think they were tele skis?

But they are marketed as rando skis. According to zzz who has both the Mantra and the rando equivalent they ski just about as well but are as you'd expect mahoosively lighter.

I may well try and encourage ("") the o.h. to give them a shot.
snow report
under a new name, sorry, faulty googling on my part. They were on the first site as randonnée/telemark skis and as I haven't come across the term 'rando' before (it's the same thing as touring right?) I got confused, plus they were the Nunataq which are 107 underfoot.

Anyways......good idea, especially if I can convince MrI that it makes sense for the kids & I to live in the Alps whilst he commutes from London Wink
snow report
MeMyselfandI, no worries, you get extra forgiveness (as I am a benign deity anyway) for correctly apostrophising. Rando is the same as touring.

Why would it be a good idea to expose your offspring to all that London pollution? What is he thinking of?
snow report
under a new name, I know, plus it's not like we see him during the week anyway plus he'll get to go out drinking four days a week plus I won't be nagging him face to face all the time plus our kids will be the GREATEST SKIERS IN THE WORLD *ahem*

Thanks again everyone for the recommendations, it's greatly appreciated.
snow report
MeMyselfandI, and kebabs. Don't let him forget the kebabs. And curries. And special fried rice.

At this rate, is he well insured??
ski holidays
under a new name, naturellement wink
ski holidays
Don't let him forget the kebabs then!! Twisted Evil
latest report
Hi, Mrs Snow_dog here. I own a pair of Black Pearls and skied them in the three valleys and at Sainte Foy. They are great - very light, easy to turn and can handle most conditions (I skied them on ice, groomed pistes, crud, off piste and a bit of powder, the only limitations seem to be my technique rather than the ski!). Thoroughly recommend them, but do test them first - I love them but not everyone will.
latest report
MeMyselfandI wrote:
Unfortunately nowhere I can get to that demo's around here, especially as the two small things that hang around me pretty well constantly object to being left by themselves all day.:

I'm sure this is a prompt for a tít gag Puzzled
latest report
Ratae Corieltauvorum, bollocks
snow conditions
Mosha Marc wrote:
Ratae Corieltauvorum, bollocks

Or indeed a bóllocks gag
latest report
Gags aside I've just returned from three weeks, ok, two weeks with a week sitting on the couch holding ice to my knee and I LOVE these skis. They handled icy blacks, slush, marshmallow, steeps, in fact pretty well everything except cruisy blues really amazingly (always nice when you've been charging down runs all morning to lazily ski the beginners slope to the bar like an utter twot). I love them very, very much and have spent more time with them in the last few weeks than I have with my children or, indeed my husband.

Insert further gags here.
snow report
MeMyselfandI, nice one, which length did you get and how tall are you? I would love to give the BPs a try because of all the Ski Diva love for them.
ski holidays
MeMyselfandI, this is very interesting. I got some Cloud 9's 2 years ago and I'm a bit disappointed with them. I had some Rossignol Cobra S before and loved them but they wore out (10 years) and they took a bit of driving and I have a bad knee so wanted something lighter. but the Cloud 9's are gutless, don't handle speed that well. It could be my technique I know. Re the Black Pearls, my friend in Canada really loves hers.
You are 5'10" 65kg- what length did you get? I am only 5'2"/53kg but would also put myself at same level as you.
I stay mainly on piste but ski everything reasonably well, can go off piste but do not if it's very heavy (knee..and age...) and have a husband and 17 and 21 year old to keep up with...so the skis have to be stable at speed and good for giant slalom as well as lovely neat piste turns...is that too much to ask?
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I got the 173's. TBF they're not cruisy skis, they need to be skied quite aggressively and they do show up technique issues with flapping at speed. I managed to fix that (mostly) by skiing better Smile

The guy at the ski shop we use did say that there are a lot of similar skis coming out next season and that there's nothing that special about them albeit they are nice skis so you may want to see what comes out next year. He may have offended me slightly.

I do love them though and they are so, so very pretty.
snow conditions
MeMyselfandI, I'll put them on my try out list! Thanks.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy