Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

An open letter from the performance director bss alpine

Poster: A snowHead
maybe straying into the area of over training?? kids need to be kids!
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
He doesn't really think of it as training though - just as playing football, tennis, etc. If anything we have often have to persuade him to do less than he'd choose. It's a bit like living with a labrador puppy in the house - you'll know when he's been cooped up inside for too long!
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Okanagan, that sounds great! He's got to be athletic - how could he not be!

The idea behind athletic development is that there are specific stages where it is more appropriate to develop certain skills. As a young (pre-puberty athlete) the greater your movement vocabulary the better. Sports that encourage movement across all three planes of motion are particularly useful (and very relevant to snowsports). Judo, trampolining and gymnastics are good examples of sports that encourage multiplanar movement. There's plenty more and none are right or wrong when it comes to so-called 'cross-training'.

But the important point about these sports is that they help develop athletic capacity for later in life - but only if done pre-puberty. Afterwards they're still important but by then, you're always playing catch up. Those that have these ABC skills (agility, balance, coordination) in abundance are better placed to push further when they hit puberty and can start to develop their 'engine' (cardio vascular system and strength).

But physical development is a basic requirement anyway. You have to be athletic if you want to be an athlete. There's not many chubby, unathletic champions out there.

Add to this how the sport has changed over the past few years - courses are now much turnier and tighter at elite level - the shape of the best athletes has changed, they're skinny and athletic (Hirscher, Ligety).

Perhaps what grates with BSS's statements is that they're not quite correct. They kind of are - but they're aimed at the wrong audience. BSS doesn't deal with pre-puberty athletes - it deals with elite or wanna-be elite. Physical competence or developing physical literacy is a primary school issue - flagged up with the whole school PE issues. There's quite a lot of info out there - if you're interested in some reading - try
http://www.movementdynamics.com/ Kelvin Giles knows his stuff.

If the point of this is to highlight physical deficiencies in our teenage athletes - then saying they should join the local judo club, gymnastics or get a trampoline is in itself not much help - as by this time they've either got it or they don't. If they don't, they're going to struggle. If they do, they're probably already winning.

Don't forget training time and exposure to the sport though - you need to ski to get better at skiing. Simples.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
herminator wrote:
Don't forget training time and exposure to the sport though - you need to ski to get better at skiing. Simples.
It's that which grates about the "All mountain skiing and play in snow can be replaced by trampoline, gymnastics and judo" comments. It doesn't necessarily follow that if you are a fantastic gymnast or trampolinist you'll also be a great skier. For a start it's outdoors, in a changing environment where angle, surface, visibility, etc all change - very different to the consistent controlled environment of gymnastics or judo.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Okanagan,

Try not to let that sentence irk you so much. Yes, he did write it but, in the immediate context of the previous and subsequent sentences in his letter, it is clear that he means using cross training to take the place of the all mountain skiing & play that british skiers miss by not living in the alps. His point is that without this early physical development british based skiers will always struggle.

Given what your own lad is doing you proabably agree with him.

I think the interesting thing is going to be introducing "non skiing" criteria to the TiD process - are we going to see skiers with inferior race results "spotted" because of alledgedly superior athletic potential. The implication is that we might which will certainly increase the angst levels even further.

I offer no views on whether this is a good thing.

As I said lets ask him in Meribel.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
meribel will be most interesting, just wish i was going to be there for "the meeting" but i am sure i will hear the outcome

biggest problem is that a lot of the theories being banded about have come form an athletics coach (can't remember his name, but i am sure someoen will remind me) but from what i hear most, if not all the information has been discredited and the said coach is no longer involved with athletics... go figure rolling eyes
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Okanagan, I'd say your kid is enjoying all of his sports and probably getting a great deal of benefit whilst having fun which is just what all of the kids should be doing.

CEM, I hear the same. It will be interesting to see the 'meetings' in Meribel.
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Philbo, do report back post Meribel...
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Interesting watching a few groups of British kids today skiing fresh but heavy powder prior to competing in a race in Les Houches. Perhaps more free skiing isn't a bad idea.
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
AndAnotherThing.. wrote:
Interesting watching a few groups of British kids today skiing fresh but heavy powder prior to competing in a race in Les Houches. Perhaps more free skiing isn't a bad idea.

thats what the coaches are saying and is being met with replace it with judo and trampoline

let them ski, get rid of the gates in every session,

having just spent a day working with GB Start Rowers at Tee's rowing club the attitude and outcomes are so different from most of the ski world, athletes are give a task and they do it and work hard at it, till they drop, most of the ski racers in this country (there are a few exceptions) wouldn't last 5 minutes against these guys in fitness

anyway back on track...how about an open letter from the coaches to the performance director (not that it would achieve much, if it even got read)
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
AndAnotherThing.. wrote:

Interesting in a good way, or a bad way?

BTW, my son is competing, but prefers skiing powder Smile
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Patch, They didn't look as comfortable as I'd have expected and didn't appear to be able to have a range of technique to apply to what was under foot.

Of course I have no idea who they were or what training regime they were involved with, or even if they regularly train in snow so the 2 or 3 groups I saw may not be representative.

Interesting snapshot though.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
AndAnotherThing.., That doesn't surprise me. Even here in Méribel, the local racing kids often don't seem completely at ease in deep snow. When my youngest was at the BSA, he certainly was not one of the stronger racers, but shone on the powder days.

I was going to try to get to Les Houches tomorrow, but the weather here is looking a bit grim. What are the roads like there at the moment?
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Patch, They were ok this afternoon but snowing now. This morning they were a bit slick in Les Houches early on. Not terrible though.
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
AndAnotherThing.., thanks, I'll get up early and make a decision in the morning .... it's dumping here at the moment
snow conditions
AndAnotherThing.., Patch, Just stopped snowing between Les Houches and Chamonix. I'll be on the GS hill again tomorrow in Les Houches.
latest report
Philbo, Thanks, but we are not going to get there today ... maybe see you at the Scottish and the Brits
ski holidays
The GB Children's Team Head Coach is leaving BSS at the end of the season.
snow report
It's a bit irrelevant as we are pretty rubbish at competitive Alpine skiing and barring a fluke result will never get into the medals. So, it probably is right that it comes across as an amateur club update.
snow conditions
emwmarine, Puzzled Evil or Very Mad

Not sure what planet you are on but you may have missed this recent thread http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=98898 and that's just one example of talent we have. There are a lot of hugely talented kids coming up.
snow report
I apologise and take it back. Is he looking like a good medal candidate at the winter Olympics??
ski holidays
Quote:

barring a fluke result will never get into the medals.

You seen this in your crystal ballemwmarine?

These things do take time with the right management. Unfortunately, it is not believed by many that we have the right management or direction at the moment.

Quote:

The GB Children's Team Head Coach is leaving BSS at the end of the season.

Not surprising
snow conditions
[quote="Philbo"]
Quote:

These things do take time with the right management. Unfortunately, it is not believed by many that we have the right management or direction at the moment.

First to admit I don't know a huge amount about ski racing but just looking at our track record over the last 30 years or so means I would be surprised but delighted to see success coming along.
latest report
[quote="emwmarine"]
Philbo wrote:
Quote:

First to admit I don't know a huge amount about ski racing but just looking at our track record over the last 30 years or so means I would be surprised but delighted to see success coming along.

sums up the usual internet expert opinions, why not comment on a subject you do know about...most of those commenting in this thread either work in or are involved with ski racing so DO know a huge amount about ski racing rolling eyes rolling eyes rolling eyes
ski holidays
OK then. Educate me into how we are emerging as a major force in alpine skiing?

Just looking at the medal table for the winter Olympics for Alpine skiing suggests that we haven't won any medals at all. Yet 25 countries have including Luxembourg and Liechtenstein.

So looking from the outside, with little expert knowledge, if measured how other sports are measured then, historically speaking, we are pretty rubbish.

Nation 24 28 32 36 48 52 56 60 64 68 72 76 80 84 88 92 94 98 02 06 10 Total
Australia (AUS) – – – – – – – – – – – – – 1 – – – 1
Austria (AUT) – 6 7 9 5 7 5 4 2 4 1 6 8 3 11 9 14 4 105
Canada (CAN) – – – 1 1 – 2 – 1 1 – 2 1 1 – – – – 10
Croatia (CRO) – – – 4 3 2 9
Czechoslovakia (TCH) – – – – – – – – – – 1 – – 1
Czech Republic (CZE) – – – – 1 1
Finland (FIN) – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – 1 – 1
France (FRA) 1 5 – – 3 6 8 2 – 1 3 2 3 – 2 4 2 – 43
Unified Team of Germany (EUA) 1 3 1 – 5
Germany (GER) 4 4 1 4 6 1 – 3 23
Italy (ITA) – – 1 – 1 – – 3 4 – 1 2 5 4 2 3 – – 27
Japan (JPN) – – – 1 – – – – – – – – – – – – – – 1
Liechtenstein (LIE) – – – – – – – 2 4 2 1 – – – – – – 9
Luxembourg (LUX) – – 2 – – – – 2
New Zealand (NZL) – – – – – – – – 1 – – – – – 1
Norway (NOR) 1 – 3 – – – – – – – – – 4 5 4 4 1 4 26
Russia (RUS) 1 – – – – 1
Slovenia (SLO) – 3 – – – 2 5
Soviet Union (URS) 1 – – – – – – – – – 1
Spain (ESP) – – – – – – – 1 – – – – 1 – – – – – 2
Sweden (SWE) – – – 1 – – – – 1 2 – 1 1 1 1 2 4 2 16
Switzerland (SUI) – 6 – 4 2 – 3 6 3 3 4 11 1 4 2 1 3 3 56
United States (USA) – 2 2 – 2 4 – 2 – 1 5 – 2 4 1 2 2 8 39
West Germany (FRG) – – 3 2 – 4 – 9
Yugoslavia (YUG)

Are our fortunes about to change in the next couple of Olympics??
snow report
emwmarine wrote:
...Yet 25 countries have including Luxembourg and Liechtenstein.
Well, yeah, one of the best the Austrian racers ever, Marc Giradelli, skied for Luxembourg and Liechtenstein is an alpine nation. Think you'll find that GBR did win a bronze in 2002 (just not according to the record books)
ski holidays
Bode Swiller wrote:
emwmarine wrote:
...Yet 25 countries have including Luxembourg and Liechtenstein.
Well, yeah, one of the best the Austrian racers ever, Marc Giradelli, skied for Luxembourg and Liechtenstein is an alipne nation. Think you'll find that GBR did win a bronze in 2002 (just not according to the record books)

OK, i'll take that one. I think Alain Baxter was treated disgracefully and the appeal should have taken account of the fact that the substance was not performance enhancing and exists in a Vicks inhaler.

Mind you, it was an extraordinary great awesome performance on the day. I remember watching it at the time.
ski holidays
Quote:

OK then. Educate me into how we are emerging as a major force in alpine skiing?

Perhaps have a look on the internet with the likes of Dave Ryding et al, we are moving forward in Alpine skiing, no thanks to the current performance director.

Quote:

So looking from the outside, with little expert knowledge

Rather than waste time on here, look at the other websites within British skiing - britski.org, BSS, SSE, SSW, SSS etc. to see stories of the emerging talent and the depth of talent that is coming through in British alpine racing. That's if it doesn't halt through lack of funding or the current regime at BSS.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
try this http://bit.ly/YxYIcn should help you on the road

think it shows there is talent out there
latest report
Does anyone know whether the dates of the Meribel meetings for Senior /Childrens week been finalised and posted yet? I guess they may be subject to weather conditions etc. Cheers!
latest report
Gillian, not certain but someone mentioned saturday (think it was Andrea) if you are out there, just grab anyone at the race office, they will know but probably won't put up any signage till the last minute...... they wouldn't want too many people turning up would they rolling eyes rolling eyes rolling eyes
snow report
Gillian,

If you are in 3V's next week have you considered entering Robert in the Scara races in Val D (if he qualifies) ? Good races and lots of international enteries.
ski holidays
CEM, Thanks... I thought I'd read somewhere that there would be 2 meetings ? One in first week and one in 2nd week?

stewart woodward, Hi There, well we will be in the 3V's next week for the simple reason that Robert has to compete at the British Championships as part of his contract being on a National team! I don't know anything about the Scara races but would imagine they will clash with the British champs. Do you have any other information or a link to it perhaps? Thanks.
latest report
Gillian,

http://www.fis-ski.com/uk/604/1228.html?event_id=32445&cal_suchsector=AL

Also have a look at Val D web site for more info.
ski holidays
stewart woodward, The Scara, as far as I'm aware cannot be entered by individuals from the UK (Unless they are part of a French club) or so we have been informed in the past. The GB childrens team has attended this on at least one occasion that I'm aware of.

The biggest problem is that they do usually clash with the British childrens champs.

Gillian, The meeting that I'm aware of is as follows (From BSS).
Barring changes in calendar and snow conditions we will be presenting the BSS pathway and evidence on the 2nd of April an hour before the race meeting about 4pm.
latest report
Philbo,

A link to the Scara Rules & Regs http://www.valsport.org/fr/Club_des_Sports/La_SCARA/

When is the meeting with Paddy Mortimer ?
ski holidays
stewart woodward, The meeting that I'm aware of is as follows (From BSS).
Barring changes in calendar and snow conditions we will be presenting the BSS pathway and evidence on the 2nd of April an hour before the race meeting about 4pm.

Do you want to come along?
snow conditions
Philbo wrote:
stewart woodward,

Do you want to come along?

If i can?

I am interested in the 'future' for a friends son. He is currently in the French ski academy but i am not sure the BSS system is for him.
latest report
head over. At the moment with the current regime, I'd say stay with the French.
snow report
Philbo wrote:
head over. At the moment with the current regime, I'd say stay with the French.

or the Italians, or maybe even the Jamaicans
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy