Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

British Soldier Missing In L2A

Poster: A snowHead
After a night out. This has happened quite a lot in L2A has it not?

http://news.sky.com/story/1052194/british-soldier-missing-in-french-ski-resort
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
It has, and as I read it, he's either staying in Venosc itself down the valley, or the area around it, where the notorious "end of the world" is - a huge drop down the valley where the Venosc gondola goes. Think there have been several stories of people unfortunately falling to their death there.

I've been (in daylight!) and if you've had a sherbet or two I can see how you'd put yourself in danger, it's a very winding path round that end of the resort that I understand isn't well lit at night.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I think there's been rumours of a serial killer in the past but my money is on people stumbling into the gorge when pissed and possibly trying to short-cut.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
fatbob, this then: http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=9923
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I imagine he will have fallen off the cliff, as people do. Don't agree with jocrad though, can't see how you could do it even if you were blind drunk.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Just thinking along the lines of being unfamiliar with the path...
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
What squaddie goes to a nightclub to drink and doesn't drink excessively .

He got battered and stumbled off, he'll be an Icicle somewhere, I hope not but its likely.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
I've been down the path to Venosc on foot and on a bike a few times and based on that agree it would be hard to fall off 'the end of the world' - it's not exactly a simple slip, you'd have to make an effort.

Always thought the more dangerous part wasn't actually there at 'the end of the world' but rather up the winding road towards 'Hogwarts', the massive newish apartment complex. It's in the same sort of area. During BUSC in 2006 when the student went missing lots of them were staying up there and we suspected he must have been trying to make his way back but slipped over one of those low concrete walls.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
nah, I like the serial killer conspiracy theory the best Toofy Grin
Since 2005! http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=9923
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Quote:

I've been down the path to Venosc on foot and on a bike a few times and based on that agree it would be hard to fall off 'the end of the world'

That's not the bit they're talking about. There's nothing to fall off down there.

Quote:

Always thought the more dangerous part wasn't actually there at 'the end of the world' but rather up the winding road towards 'Hogwarts', the massive newish apartment complex

It's that bit people fall off.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Hogwarts, love it... and know exactly where you mean!!
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Esdel, that's a bit of a myth. Certainly if they are let off the leash it happens but (i) it's an offence to be incable of performing duty through drink so generally they stay reasonably sober if they have duty the next day, (ii) it;'s a total pain in the posterior to do some duty whilst half cut - and often dangerous to boot and (iii) when mixing it with the public, soldiers are expressly warned about behaviour and have it explained to then that any misconduct will generally be regarded by the Army and the local courts as the fault of the soldier (that is especially the case whilst abroad). This all assumes he was on duty the next day but that's far from clear.

For all thoses reasons, I would think it likely that the guy was more sober than wrecked.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
RattytheSnowRat, I've yet to meet a squaddie too lashed to know what he or she was doing and that's looking back to the 80/90s when things were far more lax than they are now. Aggressive and belligerence yes . . . too far gone to remember? Never.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
rattythesnowrat, lol

a) squaddies never take any notice of anything they are told.

b) alcohol always come first

c) no duty for any squaddie is L2A

QUOTE "when mixing it with the public, soldiers are expressly warned about behaviour and have it explained to then that any misconduct"

YOU HAVE LITERALLY MADE ME CRY WITH LAUGHTER
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Esdel, well, I did it for all my charges and they knew what would happen if they screwed up. Mind you, I was dealing with the more intelligent end of the spectrum. One or two of my guys didn't drink at all and I was dry for long spells. The view we took was that if you didn't acquire the habit then you couldn't miss it in field. I still don't smoke for the same reason but that was for scent reasons as well. Also we had a fair number of fitness freaks and we were airborne so you couldn't drink before a drop anyway and we didn't always know when that would be. Easier all round not to drink at all.

I don't know why they were in the place so it could have be duty related. I think the French army have a mountain regiment near there so they may have been doing co-op exercise for all I know. I have skiied in and amongst the French Mountain Regiment guys who used to be at the barracks in BStM so I know the French army use civilian resorts for training (as do the British Army). You obviously were not BAOR as there were notices posted all over the exits to the barracks warning about behaviour in the local towns.

It may be your experience but I never worked with anyone for whom (a) or (b) was true, especailly (a). If that was the case, I would have dropped them like a bad habit - too much of a risk on Ops.

Masque, I have seen any number lashed to the hilt but on base and off duty the following day. Booze is a reality for a squaddie but if they cannot control it then they become a liability to themselves and their unit. In Colchester and the like it is a real problem but the locals seem to have come to an 'accomodation' over time so it works.
snow report
Hey I've found this site through a buddy who tells me he suspect someone of pretending to be a soldier, something real soldiers despise.

Rattythesnowrat you should know that there are no airborne in Germany, as Germany is a mechanised posting and no self respecting troop would hitch a lift.

Are you trying to be something your not, tut tut if you are.
latest report
Toptotoe, I'm not particularly interested in this thread but where does Germany come in?
snow conditions
Toptotoe, Welcome to Snowheads!

Many people - perhaps most - who have been to Les Deux Alpes have contemplated throwing themselves off that cliff, so let's be too harsh on this chap, whether he's a real soldier or just some TA type.
latest report
red 27 wrote:
whether he's a real soldier or just some TA type.

I've no connection with the Army or TA but that is a bit pejorative to "TA types" isn't it?
snow report
Some TA type having just done a tour in Afghanistan?.
latest report
Pejorative - derived from the Latin pējōrāt (obviously), meaning disparaging or belittling.

So yes you are correct.

I have no connection with the Army of or the TA either, other than that my great uncle was a cameraman on 'Dad's Army'
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy