Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Am I nuts - new virgin skis, and virgin new boots?

Poster: A snowHead
So FraserP is here and I can now admit to what I had been keeping a surprise from him. As well as new untried skis (Elan Amphibios, coming off of a set of Elan Magfires 78 Ti's for them), I also went boot shopping a couple of weeks ago and replaced the old Head 8.8's (60 flex - though old) with a pair of Head Vectors (set at 90 flex). I am now taking a lot of stick about how many times I will be dumped on my backside in the first 100 yards.

Would anyone like to post me any encouragement that this won't happen please?

Am I nuts to be off on my hols with untested skis AND boots?!!
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Megamum,

Don't worry about it. Anybody who hires has completely new kit every year.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Megamum, it shouldn't take you long to get used to them (but what was wrong with the Magfires?). I had a friend with new high performance snowboard and stiffer boots this year - he was dumped a lot for the first couple of days, but was enjoying them by the end of the week.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Get plenty of time in your boots before you go. Even better than just wearing them around the house, drop your skis down in front of the telly & click in to them & do half an hour of flexing every evening - which you can't do very effectively without the leverage/stability of the skis.

And so your surprise for him on Valentine's Day was that you'd spent cash on yourself rolling eyes
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Megamum, he's just miffed that he hasn't got shiny and new . . . tell him rule 5 applies
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Megamum,

From the title Ithought Richard Branson had started a new business venture!
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
spyderjon, it wasn't as though he didn't benefit, I bought the skis off him!!! We are off tonight (well 2am tomorrow), so I can't try clicking into skis, but I have been wearing them around the house and been using them with the Skia device since I had them.

pam w, Nothing wrong with the magfires Very Happy I now have a quiver!! I am aiming to take both pairs when I can (EoSB in mind here). I still think the Magfires will outperform the new babies in crud and slush and potentially even in the deep stuff, but for a good piste in midwinter snow I think the Amphibios could be easier - the Mag's are a bit heavy.
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Megamum, have a really good trip - looking forward to the reports!
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll be skiing "like a Virgin". ;o)

http://youtube.com/v/vxxvPAUhCRU
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Masque wrote:
Megamum, he's just miffed that he hasn't got shiny and new . . . tell him rule 5 applies
I'm just looking forward to the first few runs down. The Magfires dumped madam on her rear at least 4 times on their first use.
This time we (myself and the kids) will have the cameras ready! Toofy Grin
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
You'll be fine, I had to rent boots and skis halfway through my trip last week as my own were deemed as holding me back. Like you I was apprehensive (partly in case it showed up shoddy technique regardless of equipment) but I need not have worried, I took a couple of nursery green runs before my lesson so I wouldn't get any nasty surprises and had a great time. Very Happy
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
You see what I have to put with!! rolling eyes
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
FraserP wrote:
Masque wrote:
I'm just looking forward to the first few runs down. The Magfires dumped madam on her rear at least 4 times on their first use.
This time we (myself and the kids) will have the cameras ready! Toofy Grin
Are you opening a book? Toofy Grin
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Megamum wrote:

Am I nuts to be off on my hols with untested skis AND boots?!!

Surely this is at least a 2 part question wink
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Megamum, Should have gone to HH not far to go back to Bicester
snow conditions
spyderjon wrote:
Get plenty of time in your boots before you go. Even better than just wearing them around the house, drop your skis down in front of the telly & click in to them & do half an hour of flexing every evening - which you can't do very effectively without the leverage/stability of the skis.

And so your surprise for him on Valentine's Day was that you'd spent cash on yourself rolling eyes

Sounds like you are not the only one who is nuts!
snow report
Zero-G, don't even go there, I think at some point today (possibly several rolling eyes ) it has been suggested with a fair amount of seriousness. rolling eyes
snow conditions
....yes nuts...but have a great time all of you! Very Happy
ski holidays
Cynic wrote:
Megamum, Should have gone to HH not far to go back to Bicester

none of the product came from Bicester thanks
ski holidays
Cynic, nope, as CEM rightly says I was unable to shop with him due to time and distance issues. The skis I bought from FraserP the boots I got from a local store. It's not that I wouldn't have wanted to shop with a SH recommended esteemed bootfitter, but there are none within say an hour of where I live.

Last edited by Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do. on Fri 15-02-13 22:39; edited 1 time in total
latest report
Is Large Zookeeper still in Colchester?
ski holidays
Masque, I didn't know he was even there originally. I went back to where I got my first ones from. The only thing that was a bit wince worthy was discovering that I could have bought the self same pair of boots £80 cheaper online. However, I couldn't have tried about 5 different pairs on (at my insistence) just so I knew in my mind that I had been offered the best pair, nor had Then checked and adjusted to fit me. I guess that is worth £80 if IT do not end up with sore feet.
ski holidays
Megamum wrote:
However, I couldn't have tried about 5 different pairs on (at my insistence) just so I knew in my mind that I had been offered the best pair,

Megamum, are you saying you talked the bootfitter into selling you the boots that you liked the best! Madeye-Smiley
ski holidays
Masque wrote:
Is Large Zookeeper still in Colchester?

Jules in in the Bootroom at Sanglard Sports in Chamonix.
ski holidays
gatecrasher, the problem was that my old boots had actually become stiff and actually didn't feel a great deal different to what should have been the next move up for me. I also tried a narrower last, as I was aware that my old boots had suffered from looseness, but that didn't help. In the finish to find something significantly different that I could play with took a few sessions of different boots on different feet, but in the finish the senior boot fitter appeared (he had been with another customer) and suggested the vectors, and they fitted the bill. Very Happy

I skied for several hours today on a real hill and had no blsiters and didn't fall over once Very Happy However the new skis are a good deal stiffer than I expected them to be!!
ski holidays
Megamum, good to hear all working well. Very Happy
latest report
Camera was at the ready but.... no dramas. Confused
She'll be fine in a few days. The sloppy old boots were not helping her technique.
Re the skis is more a case of applying Rule 5 !
Laughing
snow conditions
Megamum, Out of interest did you end up in a smaller size? Good luck with your new gear snowHead

Please could you also undertake an experiment for me....ski with the amphibios on the wrong feet (just for a short time and on easy terrain obviously)and let me know the result, a friend had them as hire skis, had not been told and had not noticed they were marked left and right, she skied the week with them on randomly! She hadn't really noticed anything different.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
sarah, no, they measured me again and started off with the same size in the same brand within the same range. Then because I was worried about them being too big they let me try a size smaller and also something in a different brand with a slightly narrower last. In the finish I ended up back in the same size because the smaller sizes just wouldn't work. The only thing that changed significantly was the model, I moved from an Edge to a Vector.

I'm happy to try the skis on different feet. The advertising suggests that brings the rocker into play and helps in soft snow conditions, but as you suggest it might be interesting to see if there is an appreciable difference.
snow conditions
Megamum, Boots sound good Smile

Didn't know that about the Ampibios then that may explain why she hadn't noticed anything, we had the whole week in soft, fresh snow.
ski holidays
Omg what sort of Frankenskis are those?

And Elan really should sort out their website. Either the outside edge is the outside edge, or it's the inside edge. It can't be both at the same time.

Megamum, I'm sorry to be cheeky about your new acquisitions, which I am sure you will enjoy, but my word, has marketing taken over the world?
snow conditions
under a new name, and the first time they go for a base grind Twisted Evil Twisted Evil Twisted Evil going to get trashed
ski holidays
under a new name, I must admit I can't get my head around it either. It seems to me that you have to engage all four edges as you turn left and right therefore I can't see How you can get the supposed rocker edge to engage to any huge benefit by putting Them on opposite feet. Can someone let me know if I am right to be doubtful?
snow report
Masque, I thought the same thing, indeed I even posted to ask How such a situation would be handled, and everyone conveniently ignored the question!
snow conditions
Megamum, lol! I have just looked at these, can't really see a problem understanding what they are trying to achieve, the outside ski's inside edge has camber and gives you full available edge grip, while the inside ski's engaging edge has rocker enabling easy steering of the inside ski...simples... A quick look at the website would suggest that they are definitely not, designed to be swapped around! Confused
snow conditions
gatecrasher, there is plenty of evidence on the internet of people doing exactly that, and I think there are places where Elan themselves recommend doing just that to take advantage of the rocker in conditions like deep or powder snow. If I can find them again I'll post the links up.
snow report
Megamum wrote:
gatecrasher, there is plenty of evidence on the internet of people doing exactly that, and I think there are places where Elan themselves recommend doing just that to take advantage of the rocker in conditions like deep or powder snow. If I can find them again I'll post the links up.

Megamum, interesting, do they have left/right marked on them? I only looked quickly on their website, I'm wondering how the rocker would help by swapping over as it would give you an easy turning outside ski and a grippier cambered inside ski?
Puzzled
snow report
I'm an engineer, this all sounds like marketing ... to me rolling eyes
ski holidays
gatecrasher wrote:
would suggest that they are definitely not, designed to be swapped around! Confused

Yes they do have LEFT and RIGHT marjed on them. You really would think that a hire shop might have thought to mention this to their client then wouldn't you? I mean your average hirer is not likely to be au fait with new ski developments especially ones such as this.

Megamum keep letting us know how you go with them snowHead
snow report
musher, Yep, maybe they had a big run of twisted shovels...and so it was born...The Amphibio! wink
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy