Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Budget ski holiday for 6 guys - Advice Please

Poster: A snowHead
We are a group of 6 (previously 5 who have been to Pas in Andorra 3 times now). We are looking to book for next February, some want to go somewhere new, some don't mind. For a budget of £800 per head including carriage and lift pass with a lively resort the only other place we have come up with is Sauze D'Oulx in Italy.
Problem is we have been spoiled in Pas with being able to walk out hotel across the road onto the pistes and also have all the bars/restaurants in close proximity. The other advantage is that we know where to go and don't need to spend time finding out about resort.
In Sauze D'oulx it seems that we won't get this, it will either be in town with a walk to pistes (up hill usually) or wait and catch bus. Or be next to pistes and be a mile out of town. Also snow in Sauze D'oulx doesn't seem to be guaranteed as much as Pas.

what should we do????? Advice please.

Last edited by Poster: A snowHead on Thu 14-02-13 13:26; edited 1 time in total
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I went to Sauze in early Jan for a good deal less than £800. Stayed half board at the Hotel Sauze which was about 100metres from a magic carpet up the nursery slope to one of the main chairlifts. At the end of the day you can ski or board to the bottom of the nursery slope. There are half a dozen livelyish bars in the town. If you want more info, you can PM me.
Oh, and whilst it may not be as snow sure, they seem to look after what they have, and crossing to Sestriere is well worth it if the wind strength hasn't caused the link to close.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Thanks for your reply. In general where are the lifts from town centre, ie..distance, uphill? etc.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
livertransplantplease, go to somewhere in Austria, lively bars, avoid school holiday weeks, choose accommodation somewhere close to the slopes and enjoy the cracking skiing.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
livertransplantplease, quality user name Laughing

I'd consider hammerite's suggestion and look at Austria. Just back from Saalbach and we had a really good ski-in hotel. Not strictly ski out, but a nursery tow and short pole, cross a road and then right by all the main lifts wasn't to taxing.

Cervinia might be an option, though not sure about the apres side and whether it would be enough. Saw some great deals there this season.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Clotes lift is the one I mentioned before, and there is a bar (Scotch Bar) at the bottom of the nursery slope at the Hotel Stella Alpina, though I only went in there once. Across the road is the the Village bar - visited a couple of times. Down and right from the slope is the Ghost pub which ironically is a bit livelier. Follow the road downhill again found to the left another 100metres to the Irish bar which gets lively later on. Come out of there, turn left and across the road to Funky Après Mira which has bean bags in one area, a creperie on the side and a club downstairs. Out of there, right into the piazza where there are some ski hire shops and a couple of bars including the Grotto. The main square is another couple of minutes with another four or five bars, at least one of which has live music. Some of the bigger hotels are down here. You can see the layout on Google Streetview.
The other main lift is uphill from the hotel Sauze, across a car park and follow the road around a dip to the Sportinia lift. Only did this once as it was about fifteen minutes with kit, but it gets you ahead if you want to go over to Sestriere.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Austria. To name a few

Cheapest

Soll

Mayrhofen

Mid range

Kitzbuhel

Upper Mid

Saalbach

The best (IMO)

St Anton (cheap accom availible)

And lots inbetween, All but the last will suit an early intermediate well with some challenging stuff. St Anton will destroy your liver and your body Twisted Evil
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
If you decide on Sauze: We've just come back, stayed in the Albergo Assieta:

Bang in the centre of town, overlooking the square.
Cheap (40E pppn) but very comfortable.
Warm, spacious rooms with nicely refitted bathrooms, most of the rooms are twins (handy for our boys week...!).

Breakfasts good but don't vary. Shower room for the late departure on the last day.

Marie the owner is very pleasant. All the staff are really nice, including the shush man....

Saying that - we've also been to Ischgl this year.

Of the two - Ischgl wins for both the slopes and the apres. Expensive though.

Good luck!
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
I'm sorry I can't help you choose your resort but I loved Pas when I went in 1992, I was 18 and on the first ski trip without my parents, we partied like there was no tomorrow, I love that resort, it has such good memories. Now 20 years later I'm choosing ski in ski out because they are nearer the creche! Enjoy your ski trip wherever you end up Smile I may have to go back to Pas at some point before I get too past it Wink
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
livertransplantplease, Are you looking for catered/HB or self catering (I.E. beer for brekkie, pizza for dinner.) I would have thought £800.00 a head should be easily achievable for SC in most resorts, unless you book through a UK TO and go UK midterm (Usually middle two weeks of Feb.)

If you aren't tied to school holidays, have a look at middle of January (if you don't mind the cold) or late March (if you don't mind it maybe getting slushy in the afternoon.) Much cheaper. If you want to be self catering, ski in ski out from the middle of the nightlife, Val Thorens is hard to beat. You should get a deal with skis/passes etc for under £500.00 each for mid Jan or late March. £300.00 will buy you a serious amount of beer and pizza Happy
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Looking for £800 Half Board. spending money not included in budget as that's next year!!!! Looking at 1st week in February
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
livertransplantplease, Is your £800 including lift pass and equipment hire? If so, I think that's a bit ambitious for first week of February which is considerably more expensive than early January. A last minute deal would be your best bet.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
£800 includes lift pass and carriage/hire. Can do Pas for £700 on checking bookings and can do Sauze for £780. Which one do we choose, problem is we have been spoiled in Pas with ski lifts and all bars on doorstep of hotel. Sauze we can't have it all!!!
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
livertransplantplease, I know some guys from Cumbria who go to Pas every year. About 80% of their holiday pics are of the apres so I guess that tells it's own story. I don't think you will find anywhere else that suits your needs better in times of price, the ski area, access and apres.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Pas should be a good option for you - as others have said the apres is great and ideally suited to a group of guys.
latest report
But from Sauze you can do the whole Milky Way which is vast. It depends on your priorities, though.
snow report
Also been to pas on a couple of occasions, can't really fault it. Everything a group of guys would need. If you can get it for 700, then get it booked up.
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy