Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Easiest way for a paraplegic to enjoy the slopes

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Hey all
Organising a ski trip but one of my friends is in a wheelchair. It would be the first time he will be skiing so am looking for the easiest and best way to get him along side us as we ski around. I've seen those sit type ski things with the crutch ski thingamabobs (I'm sure that is the technical term) but they look like they would take a lot of teaching. We don't want the entire week consisting of him training without exploring around with us. Is there something easier aimed at people in his position?
Thanks
Alan
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
AlanB1976, for those times when you friend is not learning to sitski (the crutch thingamabobs are called outriders), there is always a tandemski (do a google search to see what it looks like). I see ESF folk taking people around the Cham mountains on tandemskis quite regularly, so gather it is a paid-for activity that requires the 'driver' to know what the hell they're doing.

A ski instructor told me that learning to sitski is actually quite a quick process, so perhaps your friend will be skiing with you sooner than you think.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Thanks.
He will want to have control himself, so I think the tandemski would be out. But if you're right about the sitski, that would be good
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
AlanB1976, our local ski school has qualified english instructors suitable for your friends needs, and I believe they have access to the equipment for rental too. Drop me an email if you need help orgainising a holiday. Always happy to help a snowHead Ange.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Hiya,
Its probably a good idea to research the availability of lessons and sit skis for hire before you commit to a resort as they can be tricky to get hold of.
There are loads of different options for the sit skis, depending on his disability and how it affects him.
Much like stand up skiing, some people take to sit skiing really quick, others take alot longer so theres really no way of knowing without giving it a go.
If you guys want any more specific info your more than welcome to email us at DSUK and we will help in any way we can. dsuktamworth@disabilitysnowsport.org.uk
your friend can always pop into one of the ski centres in the UK and try out a sit ski to see what suits him.
We just got some funding making lessons half price too (£25 for an hour if hes interested)
good luck!
Holly
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Thanks for the suggestions. Unfortunately the friend will be coming from South Africa, so no chance to test anything. I was hoping there would be a glorified sled type thing that could be used without lessons to make things easier, but oh well.
Once we've finalised dates, I'll do some research into getting lessons with that.
Thanks again
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
AlanB1976, Contact Frosty the Snowman and SaraJ as they both have recent experience and knowledge of renting sitskis and instructors. SaraJ is a BASI level 3 Adaptive ski instructor based in Fügen at the beginning of the Zillertal.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
AlanB1976, There are different types of sitski that need varying amounts of strength, balance and co-ordination which then relates to how independent the skier can be.
The ski that allows the skier to be most independent is a monoski (for which you need good strength, balance and co-ordination!). In my experience, someone learning to ski a monoski progresses at a similar rate to an able-bodied beginner. So, someone with reasonable fitness, does some other sport and is motivated will be able to ski blue runs happily and independently by the end of a week.
As Samerberg Sue, said, I teach adaptive skiing in Zillertal. If you want more information or have any questions, give me a shout...
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy