Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

No more budget airlines for me.

Poster: A snowHead
I've been travelling frequently by BA in the last few months, mainly to the USA and mainly in Club (Business) Class. I've had frequent colds, which is unusual for me. It could be recycled plane air, it could be exposure to a new set of germs in N. America, it could be reduced immunity due to disrupted sleep, diet, etc - or bad luck.
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
If anyone here thinks that potentially more wealthy passengers give any more thought to how they cough, sneeze, handwash, they are seriously mis-guided Laughing
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Tarquin wrote:
I bet if you catch a cold on a flight, you'd catch worse one on Ryanair.

I bet bleedin' O'Leary would try and charge you for it!
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
LOTA wrote:
I now generally opt for BA or Swiss as they work out much cheaper than all the EasyJet and Ryanair add ons!
To be fair, that is an obvious reason to pick them, no matter what. It's also geographic. I like Swiss but those of us lucky enough to live in God's own county aren't well served. I've had very average BA flights in the past too.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Scampi Dellahanti wrote:
Tarquin wrote:
I bet if you catch a cold on a flight, you'd catch worse one on Ryanair.

I bet bleedin' O'Leary would try and charge you for it!
Ah but the charge wouldn't be hidden - you'd know about it before you paid the bill wink
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Yeah, I think the cold virus can survive a good few hours once someone's sneezed a dose of it out onto surfaces.

I think I always come home with a cold after a ski trip due to less sleep, poor diet, excess booze, etc.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Anyway. Ryanair, Easyjet, Jet2 - have you caught a train lately & sat in standard ?! (I try not to Laughing)
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
I find work is the worst place for picking up viruses. The parents invariably catch them from their kids, bring them to work and within a day or two we're all snot factories...
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Tarquin, good point. I can generally get to Geneva for less than London, and I'm guaranteed a seat
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
So are we saying people on cheap flights are more likely to be sick? Why the hell hasnt the Daily Mail picked up on this 'news'?
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Another point for the bigots given that modern airlines are all about code-sharing and feeder flights for their long haul networks is that even on good ole BA you're likely a fair old mix of "dirty foreigns" bringing their own particular soup of domestic germs into your airspace. Perhaps this is conflicting the Daily Mail.
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
antiseptic wipes folks. Carry them and use them on armrests etc.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
I too caught a cold after returnig from the BB. This is quite common for me and I think it has more to do with skiing in cold temperatures etc etc. After all, I never seem to get a cold from the outward leg!
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
OP kinda insinuated budget flight had poor air quality cos it was budget, but theres been plenty os posts since reporting just as much lurgy from the dear seats and high end airlines. For me again, i've gotten manflu more often in first class than off budget flights
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
I though the OP was whinging more about the whole experience, and to top it all off he ended up with the sniffles?
snow report
Don't tell Ryanair you caught something on their flight or they'll charge you Very Happy
ski holidays
call me dave, looked (he's edited it I think) that he was blaming it on the airline that he got a wee cold. Now after all our enlightened comments he's going to try a "decent" airline.

Puzzled Puzzled

I am very confused.
latest report
Masque wrote:
antiseptic wipes folks. Carry them and use them on armrests etc.

If you're OCD. Alternatively accept that germs are a fact of life and apply Rule 5. Admittedly having had 2 cycles of norovirus-type stuff directly traceable to the plague dogs that are small children, I'm pretty sure that the odd armrest isn't killing me.
snow conditions
Yeah, I was skiing hard all day from first to last lift, then got trashed before and after dinner, took in more shots than I care to remember in that smokey Austrian club til 4am and repeated every day for a week. Then... just my luck, forgot to antiseptically wipe my armrest and tray table and ended up with this pesky cold. Thanks Ryanair!
ski holidays
fatbob, I'm not OCD but I value my recreation time so when I settle into a flight seat it gets a wipe. 2 years on and I've yet to get off a flight with any leurgy.

Though having visited more public toilets in the last 3 years than you lot combined in a lifetime . . . probably has something to do with it Shocked
latest report
Do pish, wealthy people get less colds !?
snow report
I'm a little bit paranoid about flights as they always used to make me ill. Two things that have reduced the incidence of colds etc (touch wood) from flights are a) I never have the cool air nozzle on above me preferring to be a bit warmer than inevitably feel that nose/throat dryness that precedes [my] colds b) I don't booze on flights* and drink loads (litres) of water (on long-haul flights I find water is the key to reducing jetlag)

*used to regularly get told to MTFU by mates who in the main have come around to it.
snow conditions
under a new name wrote:
call me dave, looked (he's edited it I think) that he was blaming it on the airline that he got a wee cold. Now after all our enlightened comments he's going to try a "decent" airline.

No, he hasn't edited it. His first paragraph still says:
Quote:

I'm blaming my most recent experience with a cattle class budget airline for a deep cold that's put me out of action for 2 days. The cabin air quality was noticeably poor. So I'm not bothering with the cheapo operators any more. Decision made there.
ski holidays
Masque wrote:
Though having visited more public toilets in the last 3 years than you lot combined in a lifetime . . .

Shocked
ski holidays
fatbob wrote:
traceable to the plague dogs that are small children

true that, since my little f***er (sorry, darling son & heir) started nursery, theres barely been a month go by when someone in the house aint struck down
snow conditions
barry, I drive a 18 wheeler in the USa rolling eyes all I have is public toilets . . .
snow report
alex_heney wrote:
under a new name wrote:

Quote:

I'm blaming my most recent experience with a cattle class budget airline for a deep cold that's put me out of action for 2 days. The cabin air quality was noticeably poor. So I'm not bothering with the cheapo operators any more. Decision made there.

But last para now says, "I think on my next trips I'll try some decent airlines and see what I think. It's still a close call as to whether driving over is preferable."

whereas I am sure that the resolution previously had been to drive ?
latest report
barry wrote:
fatbob wrote:
traceable to the plague dogs that are small children

true that, since my little f***er (sorry, darling son & heir) started nursery, theres barely been a month go by when someone in the house aint struck down

haha, so true. Nursery plague.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
under a new name wrote:
alex_heney wrote:
under a new name wrote:

Quote:

But last para now says, "I think on my next trips I'll try some decent airlines and see what I think. It's still a close call as to whether driving over is preferable."

whereas I am sure that the resolution previously had been to drive ?

No, that hasn't changed either.

If he had edited the post, it would say so.
ski holidays
I don't understand this. I've had a stinker for the last few days, but I haven't been near a plane for a month.
latest report
Tarquin, But you would have to pay for it!

IMHO you are much more likely to pick up a lurg in a bar full of seasonnaires who haven't seen a veg or a piece of fruit since Mum packed them off. Likewise in a busy bar glass washing is not always the priority - just a quick rinse........
ski holidays
I would only fly EasyJet if I had literally no luggage. With luggage when all adds up it's not so "budget" anymore, prices are comparable with BA or Swiss but the service still remains budget. With regular airlines you also get priority with take offs and landings which is important in winter.
snow report
Plus once you start to get status on an airline it makes a difference, and that ain't gonna happen on EJ etc
ski holidays
Quote:

With regular airlines you also get priority with take offs and landings which is important in winter.

I'll defer to 2 Planks (my flying experience is in Her Maj's 2 seaters) but generally I do not think this is the case
latest report
I always drive couldn't be on a plane with common types.
snow report
alex_heney, oh well, my bad
ski holidays
I'll always book a proper airline if I can, BA for short haul normally and upgrade to Club. I'd fly EJ if I had too. Ryanair I'd rather walk. I don't think there's much price difference between budget carriers and proper airlines once you've factored in luggage and maybe food and drink on the plane.
snow conditions
Quote:

I would only fly EasyJet if I had literally no luggage. With luggage when all adds up it's not so "budget" anymore, prices are comparable with BA or Swiss but the service still remains budget. With regular airlines you also get priority with take offs and landings which is important in winter.

This may be true for the South East of England, from elsewhere I suspect that the budget airlines are frequently the only direct flight. They are generally cheaper and quicker from my neck of the woods and I have no problems at all with Easy jets service on short haul flights.

In terms of true dangers to health I suspect that flying is far healthier than driving, you are sitting still for far less long and you are not getting tired on distant roads where the rate of road traffic accidents are higher than our own .
Driving may have many advantages but I am less than convinced that health is one of them.
ski holidays
chocksaway wrote:
Quote:

With regular airlines you also get priority with take offs and landings which is important in winter.

I'll defer to 2 Planks (my flying experience is in Her Maj's 2 seaters) but generally I do not think this is the case

Chocks, very nice, never had a go in fastjets as when I was in the UAS, there was an embargo on FJ flights, had to make do with VC10's Laughing

Easyjet is the 2nd largest airline in the UK and UK air traffic control does definitely not give priority to any airline as far as I know. In fact the dodgier the airline, arriving in UK airspace, the more likely it will get priority to land as air traffic control don't like issuing complicated instructions to pilots where English may not be at their best Shocked

Spain, France and Greece are masters of favouring the national airline, have experienced this many times Laughing
snow report
Just so I am aware can we have a list of budget and germ free airlines for future use ?

I blame Thatcher was all this.....if she hadnt encouraged people to be selfish greedy b@stards the commoners wouldn't be able to afford ski holidays......let them eat horse......
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy