Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Food in Italian Resorts

Poster: A snowHead
Hi everybody!

I am about to go skiing in an area called Brentonico/La Polsa/San Valentino with my school. I have always always skied in Austria (as I am Austrian) and I am very used and almost attached to the typical food on Austrian ski-huts, including different types of soups, "Bernerwurstel", "Kasspatzen", "Germknödel" or "Kaiserschmarrn". Obviously I expect more pasta and pizza, but does anybody know if I will get some Austrian food in Italy as well, bearing in mind that Brentonico is fairly far south near Lake Garda in Trentino, a traditionally Italian area with far less Austrian influence than for example South Tyrol.

If anybody has more useful tips or nice experiences about any resort somewhere near Trentino, don't hesitate to share them Happy

Thanks in advance!!

-Sam
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
samr96, I have been to Fai della Paganella in Trentino several times, the food seemed typical Italian to me with no Austrian influences (apart from the beer).
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I think Germknödel farming is cruel Sad
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
tiffin, I always thought they were shot in the wild like Haggis Puzzled
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
robapplegate, the old ways were best but you just can't get good Germknödel hounds these days.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
samr96, Welcome to SnowHeads.

When in Rome and all that, why go to Italy and want to eat Austrian food? Italy home of some of the best food in the World, enjoy it, never had a bad meal in Italy.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
samr96, welcome to snowheads Sam. Italian food is some of the worlds best, but I suspect on a school trip it will be basic. One of the things I like the most about travel is jumping in and trying out new stuff. Have a great trip.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
tiffin, tiffin, indeed they've gone to the dogs Very Happy
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
samr96, Welcome to Snowheads! snowHead

I like Austrian food, but I also like Italian food, and as others have said Italy has some of the best food in the world, so you'll just have to get used to it. wink In terms of desserts, you may well have to try things like panna cotta, tiramisu etc, not much of a hardship I can assure you ! Madeye-Smiley
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Spyderman I am going to Italy on a school-organised ski trip so unfortunately I have no choice of location Wink

jbob However I do have choice of food as we will be spending lunches on the huts so I hope it won't be basic, and I will try myself through some Italian delicacies, I am sure it will be delicious!

And I do hope that tiramisu will be available, I've tried it before and loved it!

Thanks for all the replies anyway, I am sure I will love the food there I just wanted to know what to expect, after only being used to my lovely Germknödeln!
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
samr96, life without Germknodeln is still a life worth living Smile
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
samr96, I would pay good money to watch you walk into an Italian restaurant, examine the menu and then ask them if they haven't got anything 'a little more Austrian'. Priceless Very Happy
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
On my last trip to Italy I ate strudel, germknoddel and kaiserschmarrn. But we were in Sudtirol. I also had a fair amount of Italian food too though.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Quote:

I am about to go skiing in an area called Brentonico/La Polsa/San Valentino with my school.

I've just noticed where you're going - I've been to La Polsa, many years ago (early 80's), it was my first ski trip abroad. Expect it to be very very unAustrian Happy I can't quite work out from google street view if the place has gone or if its just changed a bit, but there was an amazing restaurant just at the foot of the main piste which did brilliant Pizzas cooked in a wood fired oven just inside the front door. The skiing isn't exactly very big but quite charming.

There was also a lovely little restaurant at the top (or part way down?) the run back from san valentino which had a log open fire where I remember sitting eating cake (maybe even tiramisu?).

A nice place.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
tiffin wrote:
I think Germknödel farming is cruel Sad
Whats farmed? I thought it was a sweet pudding?
ski holidays
feefee, that's what the Austrians will tell you but in reality they farm tribbles in high, dark valleys then shave them alive to make them into Germknödel Shocked

Tribble

Germknödel
snow conditions
tiffin, Laughing

Other uses, apart from diving in with 4-5 other spoons, really tasty critters these.............Breast implants, shoulder pads, stress balls etc etc. Saw a guy in St Anton 2 weeks ago put the fag-ash sugary stuff on his spag boll/ lasagne at self-serv restaurant, bet that tasted wierd! rolling eyes
ski holidays
tiffin, Laughing Laughing
latest report
I always thought the hair just fell out when you cooked them. Ah well, live and learn.
snow conditions
Quote:

Italy home of some of the best food in the World, enjoy it, never had a bad meal in Italy.

You've never skied in Sauze d'oulx or Cervinia then!, the most awful Italian food ever made, both in hotel and on the mountain. Lasagne was a solid block of pasta with about one teaspoonful of meat per serving (no exaggeration), spaghetti bolognese was just tinned tomatoes with the single spoonful of meat added, no seasoning at all, we complained about the hotel food and the next night there was "T-Bone steak" up on the menu board, this turned out to be pork chop!!!. I could have possibly forgiven the loss in translation if it was not for the hotel owners wife being English.
snow report
tangowaggon, I've skied in both, Sauze was normal Italian fodder, but Cervinia has one of the best mountain restaurants in the world, the Etoile de Niege is outstanding, I've eaten there many times, always fantastic. Courmayeur has Chieco, some of the best food I've eaten anywhere in the World.
snow report
tangowaggon wrote:

Lasagne was a solid block of pasta with about one teaspoonful of meat per serving

Whilst that description doesn't make it sound particularly appetizing (and for me, the delicious food is THE reason to visit Italy), traditional lasagne al forno is a lot drier and less meaty than the British interpretation of the dish...
snow conditions
tangowaggon, we also had really good food on the mountain when we went to Cervinia. The food at our hotel was some of the best we've had on a ski holiday, wasn't Italian food though, we had a very talented Welsh chef and team.
ski holidays
tiffin, the free range ones are better wink
ski holidays
Quote:

feefee, that's what the Austrians will tell you but in reality they farm tribbles in high, dark valleys then shave them alive to make them into Germknödel Shocked

Wow!!! I saw someone eating one of those during the christmas visit to Mayrhofen it looked exactly like the picture I could never work out whether it was sweet or savoury, it did seem odd that someone was sitting down to eat it for lunch.

Well now I know!!!
snow conditions
andyrew, 100% free from horse meat, non-processed - they graze on the high alpine pasture in summer and come down the valley in the Autumn looking for warmth "im Tal", the locals catch them at dusk luring them with Kaisersschmarren as bait, the stuff of local folklore in the western Tirol. wink
snow conditions
Quote:

the stuff of local folklore in the western Tirol.

wonderful!. And is the fag ash sprinkled on top optional?
snow conditions
Quote:

best mountain restaurants in the world, the Etoile de Niege is outstanding, I've eaten there many times, always fantastic. Courmayeur has Chieco, some of the best food I've eaten anywhere in the World.

Quote:

we also had really good food on the mountain when we went to Cervinia

I obviously need a proper job, eating on the mountain for me is usually a well sat on roll robbed from breakfast
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy