Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Rubbish Ski School

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
tomstickland wrote:
A lot depends on the instructor. Spent last week in a group of 12 (11 French and a French ESF instructor) on full time instruction. Found it very useful. There wasn't actually much instruction, but since he said "you are skiing well" on the first day then I guessed that there wasn't much that needed correcting. As said above, a lot of it was about watching and copying the instructor.

This sounds terrible & would probably lead to me jacking in on day 1. I'm a great believer in learning by doing and know that at higher levels there can be great value in a forced pace, learn on the fly, adapt to unfamiliar terrain type approach but if I pay for a lesson that isn't explicitly on that "camp" type basis I expect to have relevant critiques made of my skiing and some non-generic pointers as to things to work on. Skiing "well" is almost a meaningless platitude, a bit like the American "that was awesome".
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
'Bend ze knees'

- that'll be £25, please.

fatbob,
Quote:

"that was awesome".

- when was the last time you heard that??
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
tomstickland wrote:
since he said "you are skiing well" on the first day then I guessed that there wasn't much that needed correcting

Or, that there was absolutely nothing he could do to help in the limited time of a week?

Evil or Very Mad Twisted Evil

But seriously, that doesn't sound great at all. If he meant, "well you ski differently (maybe better) than the rest of your group but I don't have the teaching bandwidth to handle two entirely different lesson plans at once," surely the answer was to tell you?

I had some excellent tuition at the start of the season where there was feedback after each and every pitch. Sometimes just a pained groan if truth be told.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
RattytheSnowRat wrote:

fatbob,
Quote:

"that was awesome".

- when was the last time you heard that??

Depends on the context - Instructor talking to groups of kids multiple times a day. Talking to me, only in the context of a major chin plant and faceplough.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I had some friends come to stay who had done a couple of weeks in Marrileva. I asked them if they wanted me to fix up lessons for them - and tried politely to suggest it would be a good idea. They declined, on the basis that their instructor in Italy had said "There's nothing else I can teach you". wink
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
tomstickland wrote:
A lot depends on the instructor. Spent last week in a group of 12 (11 French and a French ESF instructor) on full time instruction. Found it very useful. There wasn't actually much instruction, but since he said "you are skiing well" on the first day then I guessed that there wasn't much that needed correcting. As said above, a lot of it was about watching and copying the instructor.

Post a video of your skiing.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
alti - dude wrote:
The OP seems to be 'outraged' by the experience but I would have thought the reaction should be more 'disappointed'.

Did they speak English - yes. No suggestion that it was an English only class.
Was it a ski 'school' - yes. Classes in UK schools of 13 is to dream for!

I can sympathise with the disappointment but it doesn't sound like a complete failure.

Interesting point of view.

Personally for me, disappointment leads to outrage when you speak to the Director of the business and air your "concerns / experiences" and the guy couldn't care less.

Adie and Ronald > I completely agree, I started off the polite British way but quickly realised I wasn't getting anywhere. By the time I actually got to speak to the Director, i would say I did a much better job of properley kicking off. He just couldn't care less, so much for the customer is always right.

I asked for a refund for the last two days, with my point being that I had been sent on a 3 day course and not a 5 day course.

The real issue for anyone that might be thinking of booking with ESF, is that, ESF do not run courses, they run individual "sessions". You might learn something with a good instructor, but there is no progression through the week, they won't tell you the level you were when you started and what you have improved on. This is something that the European Ski School did well.

Does anyone know how the structure of ESF works, are the schools franchises?
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
ESF are not even really franchises. They are essentially collectives of individual instructors.

Instructors are paid on a strict seniority basis. You can interpret this as meaning that it pays you to just hang around. If you are a good, young instructor, it pays you to go work somewhere else...
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy