Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Standard "where shall we go" question, help v welcome!

Poster: A snowHead
I would say your best bets are Val d'Isere and Courchevel as they both offer so much variety, huge amounts of terrain and pretty villages. Courchevel 1650 will definitely be cheaper than Val d'Isere so you are more likely to get a great deal there.
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Simplyyourholidays, thanks!
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
For your level of experience I really think you can do a lot better than Val d'Isere. Going somewhere you know is comforting, but other resorts are certainly nicer for what you want. I'd even prefer Tignes over Val.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
foxtrotzulu, yep that's what I've been told offline by a few of my skiing mates but others on here obviously don't agree!

I'm keeping it as an option as I know at least one of the group is very keen but certainly taking everything into account!
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Quote:

others on here obviously don't agree!

the thing is, you've done Val D'Isere as beginners, and enjoyed yourselves, downloading in a gondola. One problem is that some people, who don't ski well, nonetheless feel it is an insult to their manhood to download in a gondola and the alternatives are generally difficult and discouraging. It is nice, though, to be somewhere where there is a manageable way down to the village from all around and personally I think there are a host of much more attractive villages than Val D'Isere - but if you really liked what Val D'I had to offer you might find other places a bit quiet and provincial. wink I've only spent odd days in Val D'I (my son worked there for a season - and loved it - and I visited him there a few times) and personally found it most peculiar that practically everyone I spoke to, or heard on the street, seemed to be British. I also found the village a bit dark in mid winter, with precipitous mountains all around, and far, far, too expensive. The slopes, even in quiet times of year, were busier than I am used to. But some people absolutely love it.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
you're right pam w, the main problem of course is that at the moment we don't have any other points of reference - so maybe it's time to find some!
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
I learned in Meribel and enjoyed it, but I think Val d'Isere is great for beginners. It has a particularly good nursery slope at village level, complete with varied gradient and a chairlift to practise on - as well as plenty of gentle cruising higher up. Downloading is easy, too. The only flaw is unreliable piste classification, but ski school will help there.

Talking of which, the best lessons I've ever had in Europe were in Val - only Ski Esprit in Whistler have been better.
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
pam w, I think you expressed it perfectly. It's not a massive exaggeration to say that I only REALLY learned to love skiing when I stopped going to to Val. The Face de Bellevarde, Solaise bumps, and the mis-labelled icy,crowded runs home all haunt me to this day. Mind you, most of this was a few years back before the French admitted that piste grooming wasn't just for wimpy americans.

Curzonian, Trust us, and try somewhere else. There's a whole range of mountains out there.

ajrduff, Val maybe great for complete beginners, but it really isn't (wasn't) that great for anyone in the 2-6 week experience bracket.
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
foxtrotzulu, yep I pretty much agree with you it seems silly to go back so soon!
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
I must admit that although I enjoyed Val last week, I wasn't nearly as enamoured 4 years (and 9 skiing weeks) ago when we first visited. I spent a lot of that fortnight in pain and bricking it - toughest ski trip I've ever been on. With hindsight I'd have enjoyed it a lot more if I'd swallowed my ego and downloaded instead of trying to ski home every day.
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
blimey, skiing home was never even on our radar last year, mind you, we were slow learners...
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Curzonian wrote:
blimey, skiing home was never even on our radar last year, mind you, we were slow learners...

But you were in your first week, right? I was in my sixth. Face was shut throughout our visit for the FIS world championships, so the only way home was Santons. I could get down that and Piste M. but it was never fun.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Curzonian, Almost anywhere else and it wouldn't have occurred to you NOT to ski home each day. Well, after the first 2-3 days anyway. That's absolutely the reason I hated Val until I had a lot more experience. With all the crowds rocketing down that gun barrel of a run I'm not sure I'd particularly enjoy it even now.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
ajrduff, ah I see, yep it was first week

foxtrotzulu, aha right, would be excellent to be able to ski back home (to the bar) - hopefully that'll be the case this time!
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Quote:

With all the crowds rocketing down that gun barrel of a run I'm not sure I'd particularly enjoy it even now.

the perfect reason to take the gondola - which is what I do. wink
snow report
foxtrotzulu wrote:
With all the crowds rocketing down that gun barrel of a run I'm not sure I'd particularly enjoy it even now.

I actually think Face is easier. It's steep, but at least it's wide, and because it's black fewer people brave it.
snow report
Ok - we're booked and it's Sauze. I was starting to get a bit nervous with lots of things getting booked up pretty quickly and i think we got a pretty good deal. Sauze has been recommended by a few people (including a work colleague who i discovered is also a fellow snowHead), is generally a little cheaper and has good transfers (and our flight times mean an extra half day's skiing which is a bonus) - now can't wait.

Having spent a silly amount of time looking at different resorts it has become very apparent that there are hundreds of places I'd like to visit over the next few years!

Will put a TR up on return, thanks for the advice and help.
snow report
Oh dear..... Sad Sad Sad Defintely wouldn't have chosen that for you. Bad, bad mistake. Particularly for the week you are going. Oh dear.
ski holidays
Don't worry, only joking Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy I'm sure you will have a great time.

Delighted you aren't going to Val d'Isere. Good decision!
snow report
foxtrotzulu, ha, you should have left that up a bit longer and got me worried!
snow report
My two children have been with Evolution2 ski school in Tignes / Val D'Isere for the last 3 years. Can't recommend them highly enough and definitely worth a look for either adult group or private lessons if you are in the area.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy