Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Height or Weight?

Poster: A snowHead
I am always getting asked "How long should my skis be" and pretty much everyone relates ski length to how tall they are. All the advice you see online or in books refers to the ski should be between chin and top of head height.

I recon a pair of skis could care less about how tall you are and really only care about how heavy you are..

What do you use to decide how long your planks should be?
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
skimottaret, 203 for slalom, 207 for GS?
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
under a new name, how fat are you? NehNeh
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
A good question.

I'm only 1.76m tall yet 97kg so I often get handed something around 165 to play with.

Innuendo aside, luckily I prefer something a little on the short side as long as its stiff.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I haven't really chosen my skis intentionally (renting, rather new to it all) but on all 3 trips have been given 178 Dynastar Outlands. I'm about 193cm and 95kg.

Maybe the rental store doesn't have anything else for my height? (same store each time)
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
It's a combination of height and weight imho. Height as it affects the center of gravity and so the levering forces on the ski. Weight... well, that's obvious.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
skimottaret,

I'm about your height but a lot heavier. I'm an old bug and like skiing on longer planks - initially I would choose to try the longest available size of any particular ski. I have 2 new(ish) sets; 175s to ski on piste with the kids and 184's for the days I can escape them. I feel a whole lot happier on the longer ones, and would love to have my previous 196s back Crying or Very sad
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Weight and ability to load them....I am 1.67 and 86kg and ski on 179 line prophets...fantastic all over the mountian.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Quote:

Height as it affects the center of gravity and so the levering forces on the ski.

does you ski in balance through the centre of the ski or do you turn by "levering" the skis ?
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Center of ski neutral, weight to toes to engage the edges going in to a turn and heels to roll out of the turn.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
you don't have to actively lever your skis for a levering force to be present. Even just by putting pressure on the front of your boot, there's going to be a force that, in extreme circumstances, will lift the tail and press the tip into the snow. I'm taking about forces within the system, not a technique for skiing.
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
SPILLY67, FEEF agreed... I am being a bit anal now but I dont think that height matters much in ski length, the lever force you mention comes from pressing the front or back of the boot and leg length doesnt make much odds imo, most people dont hang on the front of back of boots and if you put too much "leverage" on you will pop out of the bindings so a bit moot...
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
This being snowHeads (and full of "Woodentops" Laughing ), it's not allowed to be a simple choice of either weight or height (and it's definitely not height anyway cos a ski can't see how tall you are and I don't buy that COG argument either). It's basically all about the amount of pressure experienced by the ski which would be a complex combination of a whole host of factors including weight, speed, turn radius, degree of dynamism from the pilot, steepness, type of snow, temperature, boot stiffness, gender, yada yada yada. Can someone please come up with an equation. Or, alternatively, grab any old pair of skis that are roughly right and go skiing.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
My option is generally the shortest available version of the chosen ski. Embarassed Embarassed
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Pedantica, That's because you find plane seat surprisingly spacious.
snow report
How about length for height and stiffness for weight!
ski holidays
tiffin, no, I just said there was more leg room than usual, which there was. NehNeh
ski holidays
Pedantica wrote:
My option is generally the shortest available version of the chosen ski. Embarassed Embarassed

This.
ski holidays
tiffin wrote:
luckily I prefer something a little on the short side as long as its stiff.

I prefer something longer and with a lot of girth and would say weight and the leg strength are more important than height. I'm 165cm tall and weigh 56kg... am skiing on 178s with 110mm waist.
ski holidays
Zero-G, you is hench!
latest report
I'm with jbob

i've found ski stiffness far more relevant - probably cos i'm quite heavy (90kg, used to be 120kg Shocked ) I like approx 180-185cm skis for general cruising about & touring but have a couple of 190+ for bigger adventures. THey're all pretty/very stiff though

If you're 5'11 and 75kg, an 180cm softish ski may suit you fine, but if you're 5'11 and 120kgs, i pretty much guarantee you'll hate a 200cm softish ski
snow report
surely zero G is weightless? Wink

whenever I got rental skis in Italy, they always gave me retail versions of GS skis, saying I need something like that because of my weight and height (6ft3, 100kg). Maybe this is off the scale for Italians, who tend towards the shorter end of the height spectrum compared to Brits and Dutch?
snow report
Frosty the Snowman wrote:
Zero-G, you is hench!
I wish I was, then I wouldn't get so danged cold on the chairlifts!

My skis have tip and tail rocker, so effective length on piste is probably more like 150cm but 178cm in powder. I don't know, I'm all the gear with no idea...
ski holidays
The length vs height method was invented by the ski industry, without it they would struggle to sell/rent you a pair of skis, can you imagine the average punter going into a shop and saying to the retailer "what length do I need" and the retailer/rental guy shrugging his shoulders and saying..."no idea, up to you!"

The weight/technique vs stiffness vs the type of skiing you do method is not a practical option for retailers.
ski holidays
skimottaret, I still need to try on snow what I did on the infamous ski-threadmill... 130 on 1 foot, 160 of the exact same ski type on the other... Remarkable little difference. Next time I visit Central Sport Wengen perhaps Wink
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy