Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Rivington Alpine, Lockheads, Solutions4Feet?

Poster: A snowHead
I'm based in the Midlands. I am going skiing on 9th March to Chamonix. I wanted to buy my first pair of boots before this trip. Having tried to sort an appointment out with Solutions4feet over the past couple of weeks and trying to match what they have available with a day I can get off work I don't think there is a match unfortunately. I've seen Lockheads and Rivington Alpine also recommended. Lockheads is closer to me, but I've seen more good reviews recently on Rivington. What do you reckon? Are solutions4feet that good it would be better to leave it till next year? What is the boot range like at Rivington for general public not racers(their website only mentions a few brands?) and what are Lockwoods like these days? Regarding my feet, when I was born my left foot had been bent back awkwardly in the womb and required a few months of physiotherapy as a baby to sort out, as a result I always needed very supportive footwear as a child., although it doesn't seem to affect me these days that I notice and doesn't look abnormal. And I have small bunions. If that info affects choice of fitter!? Thanks
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
schuey, Rivington sorted out my Black Diamond boots last year, mde a big difference getting them set up right - they seemed to have a good selection of boots, suggest a drive up and talk to them, you are under no obligation to buy.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
schuey, Don't be put off by Rivington's website. Graham isn't into selling boots over the internet, only doing a proper professional job of boot fitting in the shop. He has a substantial stock of boots. I had mine done there a few years ago with zero problems and my Son had his done there in December. Highly recommended in my experience.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Lockwoods purchase two weeks ago, now tested, very happy with service/fit/comfort/cost
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
schuey, Lockwoods are a good option, I don't know Rivington. Lockwoods have some deals on at the moment, their fitting service is also good. There are also some good shops in Chamonix, Sole is very good.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Any of the 3 are good. Solutions 4 Feet is a guaranteed expert and certified pedorthist and it's only Colin who fits the boots. Although in Chamonix you have Sole who are good guys too and can sort anything while you are there.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
schuey, ^^^+1
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Jimmythefoot, Merci mon petit nez du cochon. xx
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
CH2O, I wouldn't say it, if it wasn't true Smile
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
I can recommend Lockwoods, myself and OH have had boots from there with no problems.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Not trying to be contraversal but I had a boot fitting with a highly recommended boot fitter and ended up c£500 out of pocket and with knackered nailbeds. Boot fitter so busy that it was really difficult to make an appointment to adjust the boots. I had a day on the dry slope and 3 hours on snow before my boots became too uncomfortable to be worn. Anywhere I went in resort or at home to get the boots adjusted, all I was told was that they were too small, to which the original boot fitter replied well what do they know, or if I persisted in my requests for my boots to be stretched etc, then it was all due to my rubbish skiing technique. I kind of gave up, got my feet measured by a small local shop and bought a pair of boots based on that. Have had a great season with these boots, comfortable yet with control. I just got the impression that with some boot fitters it's all about their ego and not about how you and how you ski. I feel enormously disappointed in going to this highly recommended fitter, you put your feet in their hands and feel embarrassed to complain if the results are not as expected as the stock reply is that is not their fault and if you complain on this forum about the service received you get an aggressive response and patronised for being a girly (what do we know about the ways of the boot). So go and get your feet measured sat a few stores (found this to be very consistent) and look at boots that suit ths profile). Then get the best boots possible based on these measurements. Also trust your own judgement, don't think that the boot fitter knows best - you know your own comfort levels and all this macho crap - I take a size 11 shoe but ski a 23 mondo point is irrelevant. Trust your own judgement and don"t get caught up in the cult of the boot fitter,
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Skisalot, A shell check is a good way to know if a boot is too small or not. Having worked with most the key people I mention on here I know that the worst case scenario is they take the boots back to exchange or find some other solution.
There is no macho behind fitted ski boots only the fitter. You can't fit a square peg in a round hole....
You do have to put some faith in boot fitters, you wouldn't service you own car would you? That doesn't mean that every mechanic is an expert even if they say so.....
Most decent places/fitters will guarantee what they do will work and will make amendments as necessary, if they don't and you spent £500 then something is wrong!
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
I do find the concept of spending several hundred quid on what is basically a consumer item, and then having to spend yet more to get them to work as you would expect a little challenging.

While I accept that top performers need a high level of fit to extract the lest few percent of performance I personally expect to be able to buy boots to fit without any additional customization. When customization has been required for my boots the resulting fit has been without exception, uncomfortable or even painful so I've shied away from it for quite a while.

It's a tricky one as I can see myself drawn to heading down boot fitting route next time around as my (alleged) 2 sizes too big approach has required extra socks on the current boots wink
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
AndAnotherThing.., I don't know if this is standard as I've only visited one fitter, but all adjustments and fittings were included in the price, even after a couple of visits. Footbeds were extra, but again fitting was part of the price. My OH is planned to drop in next week to sort out a heel issue - not expecting to be charged anything. However, they do charge for all the other stuff we bring home from the shop each visit Toofy Grin
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
schuey, if you can't get to see Colin go and see Jules at the Bootroom in Sanglard Sports in Chamonix, you might want to ring him and get an appointment before you go. He's been in Chamonix for 30 years, English isn't a problem, he's from Peckham. If Colin wasn't on my doorstep I'd be doing the trip to see him, he's as good as it gets.
snow report
On my second pair of boots from Graham @ Rivington, both have ended up being a superb fit. Don't be surprised to spend a full day getting fitted if you've got "issues".
They also won't sell you something "off the shelf" if its not right, my 1st pair were a special order as they didin't have anything suitable for my skinny little hobbit feet and had to pull in a pair on a special order (a size smaller than my previous pair and much better shape for my foot)
Wife and 2 kids have also got boots fitted and had no issues over the last 6 years, wife will be looking to re-new later this year or early next and we'll definitley be back to see Graham.
latest report
I am heading over to Rivington on Saturday. Both my wife and I moved up from beginners to intermediates a couple of seasons ago and we outgrew our boots. I have heard good things about them, so I hope they will do a good job!
latest report
psyxologos, I'm sure they will, great service, sorted mine and my OH's, allow plenty of time it's not a quick job!
snow conditions
Thanks. I was told it will probably be 2-3 hours, so that sounds about right... See how it goes!
snow conditions
I had a very good experience today.My wife and I (and our 3 1/2 year old daughter) visited for what we were told it would be a 2-3 hours ski boot fitting (for my wife and me). 4 1/2 hours later we were sorted. Boots feel like second skin, our daughter had a great time playing with the two blue German shepherd dogs and we feel we had a good deal. I will certainly let my friends know about this place...
snow conditions
psyxologos, enjoy Saas Fee. I was amazed at the patience of your daughter, and her language skills. I think I will be takin my daughter to Rivington to see if Graham can tweak her existing boots and improve the fit
ski holidays
Cheers. It was nice meeting you. I did not know you were a member here. Enjoy your holidays with the grandchildren. You gave us some good ideas for next year....
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy