Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Which ZipFit (or other) liners for my boots?

Poster: A snowHead
First off I should say that I know my best option would be to go down to Bicester (my partner had her boots sorted there last year by CEM, with great success), or Leamington Spa and get this sorted by an expert. Unfortunately I'm working crazy long hours at the moment and have zero chance of doing so before my next ski trip in March, so I'm looking for a DIY solution, and I hope someone knowledgeable can help.

I have a pair of Head Raptor Project RS 115 boots, bought 2 years ago. They're a reasonably low volume boot, with a 98mm last. I have unusually skinny feet and lower legs, though, and now that the liners have packed out rather, I'm buckling my boots to the last notch and still feeling a little looseness by the end of the day, so I'm looking for a replacement liner. I'm annoyingly between sizes on shells, it seems, as these appear to have 17mm or so behind the heel when I do a shell fit (which is towards the comfort end of the spectrum), yet when i tried on the next shell size down I knew that there was no way I could possibly have skied in them without extensive boot work (which wasn't viable at the time). My boot mondo size is 27.5, which is also the exact length of my foot. The internal sole length measures as 28cm.

From my research it seems that ZipFits are probably the best DIY option, but I'm not sure what model I need. I suspect that the Grand Prix is probably the answer, but is there anyone out there who does this in a 27.5? I might be able to get hold of some Classics, but would they be too bulky for the shell? Alternatively, would the World Cup be insufficient? Any help would be appreciated!
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I had boots and zip fits sorted by CEM. I have low volume feet in a 98mm atomic cs130 boot. I initially tried the World Cup but they were just too tight, distorted the shell etc so swapped them for Gara's. Now used for 6 weeks skiing and are fine, still need a very thin sock and can easily ski without doing boots up at all. There is not much difference in volume of cork between models of zipfit. If my Garas get loose i will add more compound, though i cant see that happening for a few years! The website is quite comprehensive http://www.zipfit.com/models.html. I would contact CEM directly ( particularly as you are a previous customer) and ask his advice, main problem may be stock.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
How did the ZipFits compare to your original liners? Or did you go straight to the ZipFits when you bought the boots?
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
J2R, You need to go to a shop to get the initial mould on a Zippy or any after market liner. A Zippy will mould a bit in time, but the initial mould, selection of the right product and the extra injection of Kork (if required) are all a big consideration.
I just put new Zip fits in my RX 130's and they are great, but I tried two types of Zippy and a thermo wrap liner first to see what would work best. I also injected some extra Kork in my right foot.
Where do you live? That might help with where to go!
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
As I mentioned, lack of spare time is the big issue here. I'm in Norfolk, and the nearest ZipFit dealers are a long way away from here (and I don't even have time to go to London).
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Simon @ Ski Exchange, Cambridge isn't that far and he's arguably one of the best boot fitters in the UK, not sure I would trust many London shops with Zippys!. It's a lottery/probably a couple of days discomfort if you mail order. Not to mention a much bigger waste of money that the comparable short trip may save.
Simon does an appointment system too like CEM so you are guaranteed a good quick service.
Otherwise.... Bon chance Smile
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
I have to confess I'd never heard of Ski Exchange before, but on looking at their website I can see that they do in fact have the Grand Prix model in the size I require, so I may try to squeeze in a visit - it's only an hour or so from here. Thanks for the tip!
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
J2R, Up to these last boots had foamed boots, so went straight to Zip fits. compared to stock liners Zipfits appear much better made and over time have really moulded to my foot. One point I should have made is that my shell is pretty small, whereas if you already have a fair amount of space then the Grand Prix may fit perfectly! certainly worth getting a professional to fit, good luck!
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Just a brief follow-up on this. I did in fact go to Ski Exchange and had some ZipFit Grand Prix liners fitted by Simon there, a relatively painless process, and in the shop they felt very snug but not uncomfortable. Then went to Austria to ski, and for the first couple of days I was in some considerable pain, with my feet feeling really squashed - I wondered whether I had in fact gone for liners too large for the low-volume boots. But after a bit of massaging of pressure points, they slowly eased off, and by half way through the third day I was starting to feel the benefits. By the fourth day I was skiing in comfort, with greater control than before, and each day they felt more and more comfortable, and were easier to get on and off. By the end of the week I would say that they were at least as comfortable as my previous liners, and yet were much better at communicating foot movements to my skis - so, a definite result, even though the first couple of days were not something I'd want to experience again!
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Discomfort for the first few days of using Zipfits as the continue to bed down seems fairly normal. I had that with both Zipfits I've used.
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
J2R, next buy low volume boot, redster 95mm or old ti.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
My boots are actually pretty low volume, 98mm, and they are the right size (Simon reckoned the shell fit was actually less than 15mm, which is fine). I would probably have gone for Head Raptor B3s if I'd been able to try them, as they have a 95mm last. I do have seriously skinny feet, which is the problem. I've been impressed enough with how the ZipFits help with my current boots, though, to imagine I won't be needing new ones for a long while. The only problem I have still is some pressure on my right big toe, where I have a much thickened nail caused by a fungal infection. I'm hoping that will ease off in time.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
J2R, My Zipfits were a bit uncomfortable for a couple of days, but if you massage the foot with the zippy on it in the affected area it works.
My only problem is that my feet are often cold. There doesn't seem to be much insulation between the sole of the boot shell and my foot, and not really any room for anything to be inserted, and I have tried thicker socks but they made my feet go to sleep (so too thick). I am going to get some Icebreaker socks for next season. I dry my boots and of course the zippys come out so they are always dry and toasty in the mornings, and i don't have particularly sweaty feet.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I may be wrong, but my impression is that there isn't much if any of the mouldable material in the toe area for me to massage.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
J2R, out of interest how many days did you get out of the old liners before you hax them replaced?
snow conditions
I would say around 30. But I should make it clear that they're not seriously packed out, they've just lost their initial snugness which, because of my skinny feet, was the minimum necessary for me to get the kind of control I want. I always planned to replace them with ZipFits or Intuitions before too long. Someone with more normal feet would probably get many more weeks out of them before it became any kind of problem.
ski holidays
J2R, you're right that's not so many days. Are you sure that they really are the right boot for your feet?

[ I know what you mean though. Personally, I have got fat feet but rather skinny legs and so my boots usually start to feel a bit loose around the top two buckles after 20 days or so. I have found that using Booster straps and moving the top two buckles so that they can be clipped in tighter can help a lot. ]
snow conditions
With the ZipFits, they're absolutely fine, and that is what I had in mind when buying them, as I explained. Maybe some 95mm last boots like the B3s I mentioned would have made the ZipFits unnecessary (until the liners packed out, that is).
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy